1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Drum won't fit over new shoes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BlueOfLA, Jul 19, 2017.

1. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi!
    I'm new to the Prius world. I picked up an 2002 Prius a few months ago, and liked it enough to upgrade to the 2nd gen - now I'm on a 2008 Prius!

I was doing some repairs to the brakes since they needed to be replaced. I took care of the front, but now I'm stuck on the rear.

I've been struggling to fit my old drum over my new brake shoes and I have tried just about everything for hours and have not been able to make a fit:
    -Adjustment star wheel adjusted to lowest thickness
    -Wheel cylinder pistons fully compressed
    -Verified everything is where it should be according to the Rear drum brake service manual

I can put the drum over the shoes, and after much jamming in frustration I can partially fit the drum, but I need a good fit or the wheels will be locked up.

Attached are many pictures of my situation. Both before and after new shoes.

The old shoes seen in the first picture is when I first took off the drum. The Wheel cylinder pistons are out, and the star wheel is out quite a bit.. how was there this much space in the drum before? The left shoe has minimal wear, and the right shoe is maybe at 1.7mm. I had to replace the wheel cylinder because of a leak.

I'm not sure what else to do. I'm about to put on my old brake shoes, try to return these since they appear to be the wrong size, and find a new supplier. Does anyone have suggestions for what I can try, or recommendation for replacement shoes?

I appreciate your input, hopefully some of you guys have done rear Prius brakes, have some experience or have had similar problems I'm having now. I see some forum posts with similar problems, but the OP seems to abandon the post with no resolution

Attached Files:

2. Jmack111

Jmack111 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Based upon your photos, it appears the new brake shoes do not have dimensions identical to the old. The new shoes friction material seems wider than the friction material on the old shoes.

How about the brake wheel cylinder? I suggest you compare the length dimension of the old vs. new.

I also suggest you consider using the correct Toyota parts since you have determined that fit is an issue.

4. BlueOfLA

BlueOfLA Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Jmack111:
    I didn't set the e brake I did test it to make sure though - Thanks

Patrick Wong:
    I compared the wheel cylinders and they checked out. I didn't do much shopping around when originally ordering the replacement shoes.. as it turns out, the Toyota ones are just as much $ as the ones I bought. These Toyota ones look pretty identical to the ones I ordered however - maybe it's just a stock photo

------

My OEM wheel cylinder might not be broken actually. When I was putting on the replacement shoes over the weekend I saw a tear in one of the shoes and it was leaking, but I think this was due to the piston popped out. Not knowing how the internals of the wheel cylinder worked until now taking it apart and researching I just discovered this is just a dust shield, and the brake fluid leak was due to the piston popping out. I suppose I could put this one back together and re-install along with Toyota shoes.

These are the new shoes I plan on ordering:

Could someone with more expertise confirm if I could re-use the cylinder, and if these are the correct shoes to order? I want to get it right this time.

tear.png