1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dslr

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by justwatchme, Mar 8, 2005.

1. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

after doing some research the past two weeks I think i've decided on the Nikon FM3A 35mm SLR Manual Focus Camera. It'd still like some input about the camera if any members here have heard of or used the FM3A. Also thanks to all the members for the help early on in the search 8)

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(justwatchme\";p=\"75667)</div>
    It's a fantastic camera. I don't own it, but I have owned 3 FM2n's (it's predecessor). They're very reliable, very durable and it can last you a lifetime...mine is currently a back-up for my D70 and F5.

If money is an issue you should consider a used FM2n---should be a little cheaper and has almost the same functionality of the FM3a--missing the Aperture priority is the main difference...the metering system may be different too, but that won't matter to you for 99.9% of the scenes you'll shoot.

Another advantage of a all manual camera like this is that lenses can be found CHEAP! Good glass that won't work on any of the newer AF or digital cameras (Ok experts, I know some of them work, but they're not 100% functional and my point is still made). Be sure one of them is a 50mm/1.4 Nikkor...this sweet sharp lens shouldn't cost you $50 used and is a great learning lens. Some mid range zoom is also a good second lens. I used a 3rd party 35-135 zoom for years with great success.

Final comment, either of these cameras has great resale should you decide that you're not as dedicated to this project as you now think you are. Buy a decent book or two...I recommend John Shaw's stuff for outdoor/nature type work, Galen Rowell for travel/adventure, and then there are million for studio type work. Take lots of pictures, study the bad ones, don't get too worked up over the good ones...they probably aren't that good and if they are it was probably luck. Try to learn what you're not doing right and this will become a lifelong source of fun and learning....and a huge money pit for all your excess cash! :wink:

3. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Just chiming in that I also bought a Nikon D70 last week. I'm very, very happy with it, though still shooting like crazy to get a feel for how to get the best performance out of it.

There are a couple reasons I wanted to go with a D-SLR:

-Higher (usable) ISO setting. I do a lot of shooting indoors at events and such, and in many cases, am unable to utilize a flash. D-SLRs can shoot (in the case of the D70) at up to 1600 ISO, which allows decent shutter speeds without blurring. My old powershot G3 could only go up to 400 ISO, and the images were grainy and not really usable at that speed.

-The ability to begin investing in a few lenses. I like shooting with a short depth of field whenever possible, which means long focal lengths and wide aperatures. Although there exists a lot of cheap lenses for the D70, I'm going to spend a little more and get decent Nikkor lenses with the better glass that prevents chromatic errors, especially with regards to high contrast areas of the photo.

There are, however, a few disadvantages:

-The number one being that you can't get a "live preview" on your LCD display of what's coming through the lens.

-It's possible for dust and such to get into the camera body and onto the pickup. It can be cleaned, however it's a source of frustration to many owners if you read the D-SLR forums.

-The camera's mirror has to move to clear the path for light onto the pickup - makes more noise than a non-SLR camera. Harder for stealth photography.

-It's much bigger. You won't be slipping one of these into your coat pocket... Unless you wear a pretty large coat.

Dave.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dave,
    The sound you hear is not the mirror moving, it is a programmed sound so that you know the shutter has been released. The mirror makes essentially no sound of its own at all.

As far as the 'usable ISO' issue, if you're happy with the results at ISO 800+ then I'm happy for you. I, frankly, haven't had a shot yet at over ISO 400 that I considered printable with my D70.

The dust issue is one of those things we won't even talk about in a couple more years. If you're going to own/shoot a DSLR you're going to have to learn to clean the sensor yourself...just like cleaning lenses.

I'm glad there's not a live preview on the LCD...just chews up battery and, IMO, is not as useful as the direct visualization through the viewfinder. But I know some folks like that digital display to shoot from...I just can't imagine holding a 'real' camera out from my face to compose a shot...it just ain't right!