1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DTC C1231 Help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by av8r71, Feb 5, 2018.

1. av8r71

av8r71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello,

Long time lurker, new at posting.

I have a 2010 Prius III (nav, JBL, sunroof, solar roof) and currently trying to diagnose a DTC C1231.

I am the second owner (first hybrid) and have had her since January 2015, she had 15k on the clock when I bought her.

It was a real gem to find her with such low miles, she is my daily commuter car only, 57K on the clock now.

Anyway, on to my issue.

A few weeks before xmas, all was normal as has been in the past 3 years, when all the sudden I get in the car and get the dreaded "Check Hybrid System" error on the MFD and car will not go ready. Immediately turned to PriusChat. Tried everything described here in PC including, battery disconnects, 3 times on the start button, etc. Nothing got the car to ready.

Towed her home and began diagnosing her. Got the Techstream out, scanned it, and the only DTC that was displayed was P3004. New 12v battery was installed, all fuses checked, plug/unplug hybrid battery, etc. etc, to no avail. More research here in PC and found this DTC to be an issue related to the inverter and the TSB for it.

Towed it to closest dealer (I'll withhold name). Drop it off in the morning, told service manager I scanned it and found the DTC P3004, a few hours later he called and told me that it was the inverter and I was lucky that it was covered under warranty. 2 days later, I get the "car is ready" call. They inform that TSB-0036-16 was performed and all was good, car is running. Also performed, was a recall on the airbag system, where they install airbag brackets (CGG50A), not sure what this entails, but I think it is related to the whole airbag Tanaka fiasco, I received a recall letter in the mail, so they performed it.

Anyway, I go and pick up the car and they now tell me that there are 3 issues that they found that I need to decide on what they should do. None of the 3 are related to the inverter and/or TSB-0036-16. 1- NAV system has error of no DVD map, 2- power window auto function not working, 3- a code of C1231 is now coming up. My answers to the service manager where: 1- I took the DVD out before I disconnected the battery, so I have it, 2- "did you perform the reset procedure when you disconnected the battery?" (He was oblivious to this procedure!), 3- That code was not there before, why is it there now (his answer is "now it is showing up").

When the "Check Hybrid System" event happened the VSC light was ON along with the rest of the MFD lights, so I couldn't tell the service manager that they caused the VSC light to come ON and the C1231 code to trigger, even though when I first scanned it the code was not there. I think they may or may not have done something when they performed whatever they did for the airbag recall. I can’t' prove anything, so off I go back home. Anyway, issues 1 and 2, where not an issue after all, as you all know. It seems that they somehow "forgot" there was a power window reset procedure. Now for #3, their proposal was to replace the steering angle sensor at a total cost about $1,000. I responded with "can it wait?", since the service manager advised that the car would drive just fine even with the issue.

Go back home and back to PC, where I find lots of info to the steering angle sensor, zero point calibration, info on the clockspring (spiral cable), etc. Using Techstream I tried to erase the code but it kept coming back. Measured voltages at the connectors and followed the repair manual to reset the memory, and perform the zero point calibration. Rescan car and still DTC C1231 keeps popping up.

More research on PC leads me to think the steering angle sensor may have gone bad. New part (#86245-74010) cost about $400. Note the sensor and clockspring are 2 separate parts. They do install together, the sensor attaches to the clockspring.

Anyway, not wanting to spend the $400, I turn to Ebay and find a used one for less than $100.

A week later, I go and install it (again using PC for info on steering wheel removal and such). Key point here is to keep the clockspring centered and not to turn it any way.

All seems ok with the physical install of the "new" sensor, reset the memory, redo calibration, etc, but C1231 continues to pop up.

I highly doubt that the original angle sensor was bad at all, then the second one also bad? What are the odds?

One thing to note here, is that when you do the ZPC, you need to have the parking brake OFF, if not the brake system calibration does not happen and you will lose regenerative braking. It feels really weird if you don’t properly calibrate the brakes.

Car drives fine now, but the VSC light is always ON and the C1231 code has not gone away.
    Don’t know if VSC really works as I have no way on testing that.

Anyone have any clue what else it could be?

I am researching whether this could be caused by something in the braking system since brakes and VSC seem to share the same computer module.

Sorry for the long post.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm guessing they meant the side-curtain airbags, which needed brackets installed because of a dodgy weld. They weren't made by Takata. Just a different issue. Here's what the brackets look like (if you have the headliner partially lowered to see them).

Because they're located up at the roofline and the steering wheel doesn't have to be messed with for the recall, I would not think it likely the steering sensor issue was caused by that work.

As it sounds like you've got access to the manual, can you quote what it says exactly about the detecting condition for C1231? My techinfo sub isn't paid up ATM.

-Chap

3. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I don't know this system but I found this.

ToyotaTechDoc

Did you check the fuses?

4. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If the second one was a used part, it wouldn’t surprise me at all.
    From the Repair Manual, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com, and also on the ChiltonLibrary service, if your local public library sponsors access for its patrons:

“While steering angle sensor communication is enabled, a malfunction signal output is received during the sensor self-check,” followed by “(sensor malfunction)” for INF code 701; “(internal malfunction)” for INF code 702; or “(+B malfunction)” for INF code 703.

The inspection procedure says, after clearing the codes, to turn the power off and on again, check for DTCs, “Drive the vehicle and turn the steering wheel to the right and left at the speed of 35 km/h (22 mph),” and check again for DTCs. If you get other DTCs, troubleshoot and repair those first. If you still have only DTC C1231/31, check voltages and ground resistance on terminals of connector L51, and if those checks pass, replace the spiral cable sub-assembly (steering angle sensor).

5. av8r71

av8r71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The airbag explanation makes a lot sense. I admit I didn't road test the car as it is stated. Fuses checked and voltages checked. Gonna try it again this weekend following procedure attached by padroo and will post my findings. Thank you all for the replies.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. av8r71

av8r71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hello again all,

Once again I tried the procedures to try to clear up the DTC. This time I followed the words to the teeth including test driving the car. DTC C1231 will not go away. One thing I noticed is that the steering angle sensor and steering angle values in the data list do not change while road testing. If I steer right or left, I assume these values would change. Mine are set to 850.5 degress. Is that normal? Thanks.

Attached Files:

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just for grins, it might be interesting to flat-out unplug the wiring from the angle sensor, then go back to Techstream and see what angle reading you have, if any.

-Chap

8. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    No, it’s not normal. As the Repair Manual says, under Brake: Brake Control/Dynamic Control Systems: Electronically Controlled Brake System: Data List/Active Test, the steering angle sensor reading should increase for a left turn and decrease for a right turn.
    If you’ve done the power source and ground checks in the C1231/31 procedure (in the Repair Manual for the 2010 Prius, not the procedure for a Land Cruiser posted above), and C1231/31 is the only remaining DTC, then it’s probably time for a new spiral cable sub-assembly, especially if the DTC has INF code 701 or 702, indicating a sensor or internal malfunction.

If you disconnect the sensor module, as @ChapmanF kindly suggests, you should get DTC U0126/63, Lost Communication with Steering Angle Sensor Module, indicating that the skid control ECU isn’t able to communicate with the sensor module. If you haven’t seen that DTC with the sensor module connected, there probably isn’t a CAN communication problem.

Remember that C1231/31 means the skid control ECU has received a report over the CAN bus from the sensor module that it has a sensor (INF 701), internal (INF 702), or power supply (+B) (INF 703) malfunction. If the sensor module is getting power, communicating on the CAN bus, reporting an internal fault, and reporting a bogus angle value, then the most likely explanation is that the sensor module is indeed defective.

You could try another one from eBay, buy a new one from a Toyota dealer, or buy a new one for ¥25,300 ($240 plus shipping) from one of the Japanese exporters.

9. av8r71

av8r71 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all,

I have finally fixed the issue. I got around to buying another used steering angle sensor from ebay. This time I found a set that had both the sensor and the clockspring pulled from same car. Installed it, did the ZPC, cleared all codes, and no more codes. Skid control light is OFF. Car test drove OK. I must have purchased a bad unit initially as the second time around it worked. Thanks to all for your insights and help.

vlxerdon and Elektroingenieur like this.
  10. Double R

Double R New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Im running into this problem with my 2014 Toyota Prius C i replaced the clock spring twice now first time being new. This second time I bought a set of used clock spring and steering sensor but still have the c1231 fault. I check the degrees and is stuck at -850.0. I’m starting to think the second sensor was bad. My car was fine and I disconnected the battery for a period of a week all of a sudden it has these issues. Not sure how to confirm the sensor being bad wonder if I can perform some type of continuity test on it. Do you happen to know if you can?

11. Double R

Double R New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I wanted to help anyone having this issue. I fixed my problem by checking for loose pins in the steering angle sensor harness. Make sure to pull each wire not hard just enough to ensure they are locked into the harness. In the case of my car a pin in the wire bundle became loose. I’m not sure how this happened but it caused the car’s steering angle sensor to fail. Also make sure if installing an existing or new clock spring to center your clock spring . To do this rotate the clock spring the number of turns it indicates on the top to either direction left or right. The clock spring will stop moving when it reaches the number. If it continues past it you have a bad clock spring. For my 2014 Toyota Prius C it’s 5 turns. I went full right until it stopped. Then I counted 2 turns and a half. The two arrows will line up. Hold that position and install it. If you do not do the install in this format you could damage the clock spring and potentially the sensor. Go on YouTube for videos if you need further help.

#11 Double R, Dec 14, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    padroo likes this.
  12. ilovetoracecross

ilovetoracecross Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Im battling with this now, can you link me to the ZPC procedure?

13. waldox

waldox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
  14. allaue

allaue New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello,

I just wanted to post a reply in case anyone else has this issue. I saw my sensor throw a c1231 code and it was stuck at -850.5 degrees. From what I learned from various Russian & Chinese sites and videos, there is a 93c66 chip on the steering angle sensor that stores a fault code when the sensor is turned out of range and it does not clear. There are these chip readers you can use (ch341a) if you can manage to solder it and then connect to computer via USB to rewrite the code to clear it.

I tried this, but did not have the experience or tools to do so. I ended up just buying a used Clockspring / steering angle sensor assembly from eBay and thankfully it worked.