1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DTC Codes C1259 C1310

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tytprs6, May 6, 2020.

1. tytprs6

tytprs6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I drive a 2007 Toyota Prius. My car got the red triangle of death, along with the check engine light , VSC, and the exclamation point sensors all going off too. The car still works, sometimes like normal, sometimes it struggles to accelerate or keep the A/C cool, etc. I used Innova's Car Scan Advisor 5210 and got the codes, C1259 (HV System Regenerative Malfunction) and C1310 (1 Active Booster Solenoid 2 HV System Malfunction). In prior experiences I've had replacing an HV Battery, the car wouldn't run and another code would come up. Is this just an HV battery issue? I just don't want to buy a replacement only to have there be another issue with the car.

Thank you all in advance.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    probably best to run tech stream and check sub codes

3. tytprs6

tytprs6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I able to run that off the carscan?

4. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might not need to. I am not familiar with the various models of Innova scanners, but if it can interrogate the ECB and the Enhanced VSC ECUs, it probably should be able to dig down into the freeze frame data, which is where you will find any sub-codes.

I would think there would be more codes in the battery ECU for you to report. The two codes you mentioned are set by the ECB ECU and the Enhanced VSC respectively and are code that merely acknowledgment codes to say they heard from the battery ECU that it had a problem.

C1310 = Malfunction in HV system
    C1259 = HV System Regenerative Malfunction

They don't really tell you much except to prompt you to go look to see what the battery ECU has to tell you.

5. tytprs6

tytprs6 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So far, I only get those two codes mentioned above when looking up the ABS codes. I get "No Powertrain DTCs or Freeze Frame Data is presently stored in the vehicles computer" when I do a regular OBD II diagnostic. Which is what is confusing me (everything I've found when researching the two codes I've pulled up shows that there is usually another code with it that pinpoints the actual problem.)

6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    "Powertrain" is probably in reference to the engine management computer (EMC), so no surprise there. Maybe your scanner is only a basic "engine, brakes and airbag" model. Maybe it can be upgraded, or maybe you just need a better more capable model.

7. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    These are Inverter/Converter faults and match your performance experience. First check would be to ensure you have HSD coolant flow, if that is normal, it seems most likely that the Inverter/Converter has suffered an internal event.

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    C1259 and C1310 are both codes that the brake/skid ECU will set only because it has been told by the Hybrid Vehicle ECU that there are codes set over there.

The brake ECU doesn't know what the HV ECU codes are, whether inverter/converter or something else. They can only tell you to use a code reader capable of querying the HV ECU for its codes so you know what it's going on about.

The brake ECU gets notified of the existence of HV ECU issues so it can make its own adjustments and not count on regen capacity that the HV ECU might not be able to supply.

The C in a code identifies it as coming from some Chassis-related system (in this case, the brakes). Codes from the HV ECU, part of the Powertrain, will start with a P.

donbright and davecook89t like this.
  9. Scott Caputo

Scott Caputo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    How do you check sub-codes in Techstream?

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If any code has a sub or INF code, you would find it by clicking on the snowflake symbol to the left of the main code (that's freeze frame data- a snapshot of data that the ecu records when it sets a code). Part way down the freeze frame data will be lines called "detail" - that's the subcode.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When the codes in question are C1259 and C1310, it's not really subcodes of those codes that you're looking for. Those are just brake system codes that only mean "there are hybrid system codes". So the main thing then is to make sure the scan tool you're using also shows you the hybrid system codes, because those are the ones that will matter. (And it's possible, once you have those codes, there will be detail subcodes for them.)

12. CA_prius2007

CA_prius2007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Toyota Prius 2007
    I have the same problem 1st my car screen said the showed the overheating temp symbol and then the triangle light turned on when I arrived in Vegas causing the car to turn off. After it turned off it did not want turn on the dash lights were on but no ignition. The car was towed to autozone where the scanner presented these codes U0100,C1259, C1310, and C1378. 715611C4-3CE6-4CFC-B621-43CDC4E27D4C.jpeg
    The autozone employee said it might be the hybrid battery, but I presumed it was inverter coolant pump. Later I noticed that it was burning out the fuse 15A and the car would drive a bit than would turn off and show the triangle light again. As of now I have changed the inverter coolant pump and replaced the fuses, which caused the check engine light to turn off. As of now when the car is turned on the lights on the dash are normal and you drive for a bit and after a while the triangle light turns on as well as the abs but not the check engine light, also the fuse gets blown and the car starts turning off. Any help would be appreciated. As of now have been told it could be the ecm or the hybrid battery that is causing the problem.

13. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't rely on any AutoZone employee to know how to diagnose Prius codes. Most people unfamiliar with hybrids seem to immediately jump to thinking a problem with the battery exists.

None of those codes immediately would throw suspicion on the hybrid vehicle (HV) battery.

The C1378 indicates a capacitor communications malfunction. The brake control power supply assembly (capacitor) provides auxiliary power for brake control when an auxiliary battery (12 V) voltage drops.

The FAIL and ENA lines are placed between the skid control ECU and the brake control power supply assembly. Signals indicating that the brake control power supply is in auxiliary mode are sent to the skid control ECU through the FAIL line.

Charge permit prohibition signals are sent to the brake control power supply through the ENA line.

As far as the C1259 and C1310 codes go, I'll just reiterate what ChapmanF said in his post above:
    So, it seems the AutoZone reader did not show you the hybrid system codes.

C1378 is set when either condition below is met:
    • Open or short in FAIL line
    • Malfunction inside the power backup unit
    Trouble areas are:
    • Harness and connector
    • Skid control ECU
    The repair manual (more info) has the diagnostic steps to follow to isolate the problem area.

#13 dolj, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  14. GreenTea&SaltWater

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One