1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dual 10" Subwoofers Setup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GreenSpeed, Aug 11, 2006.

1. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi all i've actually been thinking long and hard whether to go for a Bazooka Tube or a more traditional Subwoofer enclosure. My main concerns are:
    -Price (I was thinking about $300~$350)
    -Sound (I want really Umph!) :p
    -Ease of removal (Wanted this subwoofer to be removed for road trips)
    After much contemplation i'm leaning towards getting the following:
    MTX Thunder 10" Subwoofer $89.99
    (The rack.)

Well anyways this turns out to be:
    -Total Price + Installation ($550) :( But i suppose well worth the increase in sound.
    -Sound (Very much improved compared to a 100W Bazooka) :rolleyes:
    -Ease of Removal (I've heard it will be the same as the Bazooka (Just disconnect the amp))

I'll be first to admit i don't really know alot about sound systems but does anyone know anything about modifying the Prius '06 model that already has a JBL system inside? I truly appreciate any and all comments! :D

Thanks!

Edit: Is this to 'Hardcore'? I see so many views but not single peep from anyone. :(

Edited 8/18/2006: Added Pics as links were broken
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have 1 10" JL W6v2 installed. It is in a box that I can easily removed as it is not bolted in, but still stays firmly planted in the most demanding, traction-breaking turns. It is positioned right behind the back seat and it is held in with an 'L' bracket that rests against the retractable cargo cover bar.

Have you figured where you want to install the amp? You could mount it to the sub box, but that would not allow for ease of removal of the sub. I have mine mounted on a rack in the storage bin. All the cables use bullet connectors so it's not too hard to remove the rack to get at the spare tire. Check out some of the links in my sig and you get a general idea of the setup.

3. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 11 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]301817[/snapback]</div>
    Hi Presto! Thanks for the reply! Seems like alot of people arn't really into sound eh? Well I'm basically planning to get that same configuration. (There's not really much place to put it anywhere else) And i was told by the installer at Circuit City that if i were to actually attach the amp to the sub enclosure that it would facilitate my ease of removal. I want to be able to remove the bad boy whenever. What do you think? It seems like you're saying that the way you're configured is actually easier? Oh, but one comment the installer made about the configuration with the amp attached to sub is that it would be much more 'risky'. Because it'll be easier to steal as the amp is there already. How long does it take for you to remove your subs? Is your setup feasible for removal?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 11 2006, 05:25 PM) [snapback]301817[/snapback]</div>
    Fantastic! it looks Krazy Kool. I'm installing my set tomorrow and i'll take alot of pics just for the ppl here (although they never reply!! :angry: ) heh :p Oh, so at the moment you don't have your spare inside? I'm got confused by the pic. Cheers!

Hopefully you can reply here by tomorrow morning. I'll check here first thing.
    :lol:

4. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

You will have an easier time removing the sub if you are pulling its speaker leads only. Mounting the amp in the sub enclosure means pulling signal leads and power leads. This also means finding something to do to shield a live power lead in the sub's location.

I plan to mount the sub's amp in the wheel well (under the lower cargo tray). Not sure if I will modify to invert the spare tire (so the tire slips over the amp) or if I will just secure the sub into the spare's wheel depression.

cheers
    Bob

5. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The amps are installed on a board that sits on top of the spare tire equipment in the storage bin. Below the storage bin sits the spare tire in the spare tire well. The board that has the components can be lifted out of the storage bin to facilitate removal of the spare tire in an emergency.

Like Bob says, it would be easier to have the amp mounted in the spare tire well or the storage bin and just disconnect 2 wires to remove the sub vs having the amp installed on the sub box and having to deal with the inputs on the amp (power, ground, accessory, RCAs).

6. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hi All!

I got my system installed.
    Problems encountered:
    Installer initially wired subwoofer's power source to the rear batteries (HYBRID batteries!). This resulted in the exclamation signal turning on.
    Installer could not find 'room' for the power wires to run through any existing routes to the back of my Prius where the subwoofer's are located. I gave 'ok' to drill hole in the firewall (basically just a piece of sheet metal seperating engine and interior)
    Whole process took 9 hours! Not the '2 hours' it was supposed to take.

Definetely an ordeal but i guess it's worth it. Well as stated i purchased the above and went down early early in the morning (10:00 am :p ) to be the first one to the 'installers' at my local Circuit city. Here's the pictography of the installation:

Checkout All MY PICS at http://markwei.blogspot.com

Early Bird!

After 1 1/2 hours they've my speaker set all together.

Not a flattering look.

Tire well exposed. [Note: Amp was installed on 'compartment' above this]

After 8 hours it was found that installer could not find place to 'run' the power through. I gave 'Ok' to drill hole in the firwall that seperates the engine compartment and inner cabin. This picture is taken under the driver's seat very close to the 'hand brake' pedal. (Red wire: Power, Blue wires: Sound)

Picture with 'break' pedal shown. also note that the Red Wire is the power we were having problems with.

Power runs under 'side panels all the way to the back of the car. You can see a sliver where the power cable

Amp that is mounted in the compartment above the spare tire.

Hope you enjoy it!

7. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Your pics don't link properly. But your avatar is so cute I want to pet it and feed it treats.

8. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jbarnhart @ Aug 13 2006, 09:31 PM) [snapback]302846[/snapback]</div>
    ARGH!!! i dont' know why!!!! Help!!!

9. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  10. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You can't!! those are the Hybrid batteries... My car errors out when we hooked it up to there!
    It would start up.. but a big red exclamation mark would be on the display!

11. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Green Speed @ Aug 13 2006, 11:21 PM) [snapback]302894[/snapback]</div>
    The 12V battery, nitwit.

Your installer is grossly incompetent. I and most others are powering our amps with a tap directly on the 12V battery in the trunk.

This picture shows the power tap for my two MTX amps. The black thing with the terminal post on it - that's the 12V battery.

[​IMG]

12. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    An "installer" actually connected your amp to the 200V battery?
    They should be slapped.
    As PriusEnvy noted, the 12V is right there in the rear compartment behind
    the right rear wheel.....I tapped in the same place PriusEnvy did.

A couple of things to be concerned about:
    1.) If they did drill a hole & run wires from the engine compartment, where did they tap into for 12V?
    2.) Dealership will be quick to void your warranty if they find out you tapped into the 200V circuit.
    3.) Your amplifier manufacturer would also viod your warranty if they knew about the "200V SNAFU".

I have met competent installers who work at Circuit City....but I have also met unqualified hacks.
    Find a better shop to take your Prius to. There are posters here on PriusChat who can recommend a
    good shop in your area....I've seen numerous threads.
    At the end of the day, did it at least sound good?

13. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I can't help reading about the install without cringing a bit. I hope they didn't cut into the HV Battery wires to try to splice the power on their initial attempt. Well, as long as the car runs nice and the system is sounding good then it's not too bad, but that certainly was a hackjob!

14. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ARgh!

So what should i do? Yeah, told me he'd wired it to the back battery at first then the ! with the Triangle came up when i put my car in the 'ready' mode. Note: This did not happened when the 'sound system was turned on alone' (meaning when you push the 'power' button once without stepping on the brake.) That was the initial 'install' after a phone call to the Roadside Assistance personnel at Toyota the 'installer' talked with the lady on the line and she told him that it's Stardard Procedure to connect sound installations to the Front BATTERY! Well that's when he had to drill into the firewall (which he took with much trepedation). So far it's running fine. The only thing is that there are very high pitch 'squeaks' coming from my left rear passenger door. In fact that door would not close because the floor paneling is not fitting properly due to the power cable being to big.

Er, i don't know what battery he wired it too but the one in the front is where it's attached. I'll pop the hood and take a photo of it tonight.

What should i DO?

Yeah, it sounds FANTASTIC. Sheesh and i'm scared the rear-view mirror is going to drop off...

15. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd definately check where he wired it in the front... pics would be good, so we can give advise.

In the future, you might want to post here/search the forums for info regarding any type of mod you want to make, as i think people have at least discussed just about every posibility. Also, allow at minimum several days for people to respond if you really want to know everything you need to know. Posting on friday then performing the mod over the weekend doesn't give us much time!

In regards to the hybrid battery: make sure the mistake is well documented. if there is a problem down the line that can be traced back to this, you might be able to force the installer to take care of it, rather than having to foot the bill yourself.

In regards to the 12V battery hookup: you definately need to find out where it's connected in the front. IMO, i'd make him go back, patch the hole he drilled, and hook it up properly in the trunk (especially since you noted problems with the door molding and the power wire). If you want specifics on how to do this, you can check out the tutorial i made for my install (Fiberglass sub installation). pages 10/11 show exactly where i hooked up for power, both close up (like the one pic above), and a little furthur out, to give some perspective. if that's not enough, the battery is located directly beneath the Amp, which is pictured earlier in the document. Printing this out might make things a little easier for your installer to know where everything is.

16. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Actually, BOTH batteries are in the trunk area. The HV battery is in a special container and it definitely does NOT look like a car battery. The 12V battery is on the right side of the trunk (I think) near the wheel. I can almost promise you the installer did not connect your woofer components to the HV battery. They'd be vacuuming pieces of woofer from your car (not to mention pieces of installer).

17. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Wow that's so weird. I'll take pics and post them up on my blog. Oh, just look at my signature to check it out.

It's weird because he saw a battery in the engine compartment. What i'm hearing is that all batteries are located in the rear. Argh! I'm getting confused. Such Drama! Thanks for the replies everyone!

18. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Okay.. i think i know what happened.
    They had the amp hooked up to the 12 Volt battery in the back at first. They got the exclamation warning when they powered up the car since they probably disconnected the 12 volt to hook up the amp, and probably left something disconnected. The exclamation goes away after 3 start-up cycles.

I think they just panicked and went another, more complicated, route.

19. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, so i went back to the installer at Circuit City and had the Manager for the Roadshop take a look at both the forums and pictures. What he first said after seeing Presto's and PriusEnvy's installs is that 'you guys' are 'old school' installers and they've had alot of disagreements with 'old school'. Anyways, he explained to me that the power for the woofer is actually hooked up in front to the main 'power outlet' of the car. Very possibly there is a conduit from the rear battery that priusenvy has shown in the pic above to the 'outlet' I'm using. The sound is fine, it pumps great and honestly I'm okay with the install.

The only niggling thing is that i'm experiencing high pitch vibrations coming from my rear passenger seat. Very subtle and can only be heard if the sound is turned off. It's almost like a high pitch sporadic whining. Definetly doesn't sound like metal hitting metal. And doesn't ALWAYS happen when i go over bumps. But it's kind of annoying. Atleast yesterday the manager took out the whole side floor panel and helped me tidy it up. His assumption was that the paneling did not fit snugly and that's why there was the 'vibrations/sounds'. Guess his effort didn't rectify it. Do you guys have any of the same experience?

Oh, and btw the manager said you guys are crazy for installing those systems you have. 'HAH!' :) He said it was 'Eye opening' to see what you've done, especially Presto's

20. Presto

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hehe.. never knew there was an 'old school' for car audio. The rattling sound you are getting may be because of the pull-out cover for the rear comparrment. Try taking it out and crank up the sub and see if that was the culprit.