1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dual 10" Subwoofers Setup

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by GreenSpeed, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Green Speed, dude you install actually looks veryvery good on those subs..... congrats, nice work :D

I'm not willing to surrender that much room in the back however, so i'm looking for a much smaller sub project like that Bazooka Tube in your first link, but I think I'll have to get a shop to do the install, I'm electrically challenged..............

2. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey Mr. Ranger!

Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, i'm basically happy with what i've got so far (heehee sounds fantastic!). Eh, i'll take pics for how easy it is to remove the subs from my car. Basically i was thinking like you, 'I only want something small' but basically after hearing the difference in sound quality I was convinced that it would be better to just spend $120+ more (my intial budget was only $280~$320) and get quality WORLDS apart. I was looking at the bazooka tube and installers (from custom shops, circuit city and best buy) all recommened against it. You don't have to go as 'big' as i did. Actually you could get a single sub (with enclosure) and it'd save you space.

Hope this helps.

3. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 15 2006, 05:17 PM) [snapback]303728[/snapback]</div>
    Being old myself - "old school" translates to "taking the extra time to do it the correct way."

But - I may be a Neanderthal.
    Just ask my kids. :huh:

4. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've updated the pics and they are working! Look at the first post on this Thread. Cheers~

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Actual Mileage @ Aug 16 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]304110[/snapback]</div>
    In this case I think it means "Having an understanding of electronics and how the car is wired", and "Not screwing up the wiring the first time ahd having to try something else out of ignorance".

The installer was a hack, period. I wouldn't have paid for that work.

6. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Aug 18 2006, 04:54 AM) [snapback]305239[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, i guess i agree. Well it sounds good so i'm not complaining about that. Honestly if there wasn't this 'small' problem that i've described below, i'd be quite happy with the install.

MY ONLY PROBLEM: I've this very irritating squeaking noise that i can't seem to find where it's coming from (I know it's from the rear passenger's seat door). I've had the Circuit City pull up the rubber sound proofing that lines the door, and reseat it again. But to no avail. It's not a plastic sound and it's not necessarily vibration specific (i'll get it at times when i don't think there is any vibrations and i won't get it when i'm driving over 'bumpy like hell' roads.) This is driving me crazy...

7. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is probably too simple, but try folding down the rear passenger seat, then flipping it up firmly into it's locked position.

8. GreenSpeed

GreenSpeed New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hrm, i'll try that. I'm not quite sure, but i think i don't have any sound when i'm driving downhill... i think it only comes along when i'm driving up or on a flat surface... gotta 'listen' tomorrow.

Thanks Bill!

9. KipsDad

KipsDad New Member

Wow! I have kept away from posting here, cause I was going to stay out of car audio... but I don't think you can ever get away from it.

My last vehicle was a 02 Civic SI, with Focal PolyK2s getting 125w per side, no rear fill, Orion H2 12" @1ohm getting 2400w from a Directed 2400D in a 2.4/cuft box. Now THAT was loud.

I guess I am as old school as you can get... since if you ask any installer anywhere, if you could have the 12v battery in the rear of the car... would you? You will always get yes as an answer.

Keep in mind where you went... Circuit City. great deals on Tvs and whatnot... but I wouldn't let them or BB touch a Yugo. Oh, and around here the excuses I have heard as to why NONE of the 4 CC in my area will work on my Prius are:

They can catch on fire if you mess with it.
    The system can only power 100w max all around.
    The local fire department told them they would lose their installers license ( I am not jokeing here, I really fell down laughing).

I would take it back, have it redone, watch them do it, and if you see anything that looks frayed, tapped, loose or broken: They pay to fix it.

Just for FYI: You can find my posts and info on forum.soundomain.com and ephatch.com. Look for "Speck".

10. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's all about spending the money if you want excellent, clear sound along with bass that can handle the really low frequencies with clarity and loudness. JL Audio has so far been excellent. Yah, it cost twice as much as my old Infinity Kappa 10", but it has exceptional sound quality and hits as hard as my friend's 2 - 12" entry level Rockfords.

I just discovered a nice little gem that most people don't pay attention to because it doesn't have an Alpine or JBL logo on it. The Xtant 1044. I bought it used for my friend for $80 bucks. It is right up there with my JL 10w6v2.

11. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Aug 27 2006, 04:45 AM) [snapback]310056[/snapback]</div>
    Big fan of Xtant amps - so I will definitely take a look at eBay for the sub.

Wow - new they are not any cheaper than the JL.

12. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ^^^
    It doesn't NEED 600 RMS to run it. That's just the most it can handle. Your Xtant AMP would run awesome with the sub. My friend's JBL pushes out 300 watts RMS @ 2 ohms and it shakes the whole cabin of his truck. I had it connected to my amp (440 watts @ 2ohms), and it wasn't significantly louder, just clearer.

13. Actual Mileage

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A