1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumb Idea of the Week: Repealing the Gas Tax Because Too Many People Drive Priuses

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This article says that US fleet economy has increased 3 mpg in 80 years. Other sources say the fuel economy the last few years has plateaued around 27-28 mpg, excluding bumps during oil supply crisises.

So if there is any merit to this study of underfunded roads at all, it is not from the 3% hybrids running around, it is more likely do to a fuel tax that has not been adjusted for inflation for a *long* time.

2. acdii

acdii Active Member

At least $150 less, Mine is about $100 less, my wife gets paid once a month, and is half my pay, so figure another $50 from hers. So yeah, about $1800 less this year take home. That could buy me a new refrigerator.

JMD likes this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wait a Federal VAT tax may be in our future. GEEZ...

4. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...one thing funny about Virginia is all of our Govs are lame ducks. We only allow one 4-yr term. That seems nutty but appears to work very well as far as leadership development, our last 2 govs, Kaine and Warner are now the US Senators. Anyway doubtful the current gov has time to change gaso tax policy, so its just a shot over bow for next election cycle, perhaps further debate coming then.

5. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps but increased taxes is more a reality every day.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

Ours make license plates after their term ends.

DadofHedgehog, wjtracy, KK6PD and 2 others like this.
  7. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    UPS can make a profit because
    A) They are not required to take the low cost bulk mail and letters at a loss. As paid mail goes down there are just too many workers and buildings for the USPS
    B) They have flexible work rules, while the USPS is riddled in a beurocratic seniority system.
    C) They innovate

UPS funds there pention fund from operations. The USPS funds it from borrowing.
    US Postal Service faces ruin without rescue from Congress, watchdog warns | Business | guardian.co.uk
    The government then spends the money the USPS borrowed, and promises to pay the obligations back later.

USPS probably needs deep cuts as well as increased rates. UPS and Fedex privatized the profitable parts of package delivery.

I'll agree to that, but often the bidding process is corrupt. I still want to understand how the Texas legislature decided that having a Spanish Corporation fund and profit from toll roads was better for the state then raising the gas tax.

8. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    A bit more here on why the USPS has to borrow to fund its pensions. It's not as simple as it seems on the surface - as austin's article above points out:

"Since 2006, the postal service has been required – unlike any federal agency – to pre-fund its retirement and healthcare benefits to workers. This costs it about $5.5bn a year. Currently, the post office has paid in $330bn for benefits, but the Office of Personnel Management recently told Williams that it will need $394bn to satisfy the legal requirement."

This legislation was passed by a Republican-controlled Congress under Bush, its main goal being to put the USPS out of business.

9. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes unlike most of the government, but like UPS and Fed Ex, the postal service has to fund its health insurance and pension programs.

I have no idea if there was some secret plot to kill the postal service, but the dire straights it is in are because of a fundamental shift in technology. Its called e-mail. This drastically reduces the amount of paid letters that the post office carries. I mainly get junk bulk mail. Government needs to transform it, increase rates, reduce size, and likely cut down on service in hard to reach places. Would dollar stamps and no saturday delivery be so bad? I would personally pay $5/year to the post office if it killed my junk mail. That's sayings right there. Packages can make money, but letters with cheap stamps are a losing proposition. I don't know why 75 years was chosen, or what it means, but it seems excessive. As I was trying to point out, the Postal payments hide part of the deficit from the budget, but increase the debt in real life. Its three card monte congress style.

Postal Service balks at pension funding requirement, others say it protects taxpayers | Deseret News
    Part of the huge increase in state government spending is large pension and health care costs that were not paid for when the people were working.

btw: this is completely off topic. We still need roads, if only to get to the doctor and deliver those packages;)

JMD likes this.
  10. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Or a great public education system vs. US #57 from laying off teachers and closing schools and you having that Made in China refrigerator or color TV...yea hah.

11. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't you guys pay attention at the beginning of the year, when they passed this bill?

Both Democrats and Republicans were in favor of ending the temporary payroll tax cut of 2%. Letting a temporary tax cut expire is not a tax increase no matter what the politicians tell you. Reducing the growth in spending, is not cutting spending either. The payroll tax holiday was suposed to stimulate employment, but there is little evidence that it did. It did allow people to keep more of their money, but temporary stimulus rarely does what politicians tell us. Bush sent out checks to stimulate the economy and that doesn't look like it worked either. Permanent tax decreases do stimulate the economy.

This money is not going to teachers either. This was a temporary reduction in FICA, social security taxes. Even with the rate restored more money is going out of the social security trust fund than is going into it, this year. What happened when the holiday was in effect? Congress magically gave social security the money as if they were collecting it in tax. Now payrolls may increase enough that social security might not run a deficit this year, but it will soon, and payroll taxes will need to go up, or other taxes added in there place. We can't continue just printing bonds then buying them back forever.

12. acdii

acdii Active Member

Cash for clunkers was supposed to stimulate the economy too, all it did was remove vehicles from the used car lots that people who have little income could afford. It also destroyed used parts to keep older cars running.

Do not get me started on the waste called the education system. I have 2 children who have more time out of school than in it. The education system is one huge money pit, and the ones suffering the most are the good teachers and their students. The Unions protect the bad teachers, waste money, and are run by idiots like that waste of breath of the Chicago Union.

parnami likes this.
  13. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes that was another temporary stimulus that failed. The failure could be seen in the fact that Chrysler and GM were bailed out. It likely just pulled car sales forward. I don't think crushing inefficient cars was necessarily a bad thing, but there are much less expensive ways to improve fuel economy. The payroll holiday was much better than this as at least people got to hold onto their own money, instead of the money just transferred from the treasury to auto companies. My point was the end of the tax holiday was not a tax increase. There are many worse things government does than the holiday or letting it expire.

14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is what I am saying for Virginia:

You want to be a good citizen, so you pay $4000 extra for a 41 MPG CAMRY Hybrid, instead of a regular CAMRY non-hybrid getting 28 MPG.

In VA, we pay 5% sales tax (every year basically) so you pay +$200 more sales tax each year for the Hybrid CAMRY. Assuming however you drive 15000 miles, the Hybrid uses 170 gallons less gasoline and you thereby "rob" Virginia out of $28 of gasoline sales tax. To solve this, repubs want to charge the Hybrid owners a $100/year surcharge.

So repubs propose: the hybrid owner pays the state +$200/yr more sales tax plus a $100/yr annual Hybrid tax penalty, just because the hybrid owner might save a few $28 bucks/yr in highway tax revenue.

This is an outrage !!! (if my calcs are correct of course).

The correct solution is - the state's departments getting the extra windfall sales tax revenues from the Hybrid owners, need to give some of that over for road repair. Right?

SageBrush likes this.
  15. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not for any tax increase period.

16. david_cary

david_cary Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Oregon plan is misguided but arguably fair.

The VA plan is blatantly unfair from a state level since his proposal has no one paying gas taxes but then hybrids pay more annual tax. The only way this could be argued as fair is that he is trying to make up for the shortfall in federal gas taxes that a hybrid pays.

Obviously for anyone with a viewpoint that gasoline use should be decreased and is harmful for the environment, none of these things make sense. But if you believe that using energy is a positive form of economic activity and should be encouraged, then VA makes sense. It is surprising that we still have such individuals in power....and I am a conservative.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'll take a wild guess that it was conservatives that put these jokers into office.

18. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We have $14T in oil war debt to pay off. Gotta raise taxes to pay for it. Gasoline/Diesel transportation use is the main need for oil so gasoline/Diesel tax the correct tax to pay for it.

It pays off the debt it created and it discourages use and the threat to US economy, national security and environment it creates.

A noble tax.

19. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    IMHO the politicians talking about fair when it comes to taxes, just are trying to grab your wallet with both hands.

Both the Oregon and Virginia plans are put up by politicians looking for some anti hybrid/bev red meat. The Oregon one is less easily dismissed as bad old politicians doing the wrong thing, but hey its also more likely to actually go through. There is no way this Virginia thing is going through.

Attacking the cars few people have while promising to lower gas taxes that most pay is pandering.

Using energy is a positive form of economic activity, but using more oil in Virginia mainly benefits those in OPEC countries and hurts those living in Virginia and Oregon. Maybe those with the anti hybrid or anti bev part of the plan should have at least talked to an economist. Looking at how bad congress acts in Washington, how can you be surprised by a state election.

Do you honestly think that $14T out of the $16.5T debt came from oil wars? These dumb plans are in Virginia and Oregon. Not one penny from the new taxes will go to pay off debt, and the debt is still growing. If you think its time to raise a federal oil tax, then I'll agree, but not so high as to torpedo the economy.

yeah, um, there are not noble taxes, and you should really look at where the debt came from.

20. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just as easily dismissed as legislator proposing it was rural, right wing GOP'er. Typical pro-oil, anti-American ideologue that created the twin problems of massive oil war debt and US energy inefficiency.