1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumb question about smart key

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusnyc, Oct 16, 2006.

1. priusnyc

priusnyc New Member

So what would happen with the followings?

1. Smart key in my pants
    2. get in the car, start the car
    3. walk back in the house because I forget about my mobile phone

will the car stop/power off itself?

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do that quite often actually... :)
    You Prius would beep a couple of times to let you know that the smart key transponder is not sensed inside the vehicle. (Yeh, it knows that whether the key is INSIDE or NEARBY thru comparing the signal strength of multiple sensors) When you come back to the Prius, it goes back to normal.

3. tbstout2

tbstout2 Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The car would stay running – even w/o the key. It would, however, beep at you to let you know.

My friend went on a trip with his Prius. He dropped his wife off at the store and went on to their beach house. Once he got there he turned off the car. When his wife called him to return and pick her up, he realized that SHE had the key! No key… no start!!

4. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

yep. The car continues running also. So don't forget that! :)

5. Dripps

Dripps New Member

Took my car to NYC and left it at a parking lot. Got out, leaving it running for parking attendant and left...with key in my purse. I never realized I hadn't left it! When I returned the attendant went to get my car and of course, he couldn't start it. He then pointed to the sign which said (small print) that if you take your key...charge is another $25! I paid $55 for less than 2 hours parking! UGH.

6. SiliconAddict

SiliconAddict New Member

Too bad there isn't a standby mode the car goes into after like 10 minutes while parked. They could put a starfield screensaver on the MFD. :D

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SiliconAddict @ Oct 16 2006, 04:55 PM) [snapback]333678[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that's some what a cool idea. Maybe even self lock if the key is out of the car.

8. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Oct 17 2006, 02:48 AM) [snapback]333851[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, but it's probably a safety issue (might accidentally lock a child in a car, etc.).

9. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Oct 17 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]333952[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed - while it's unlikely to happen (since the key is still with you), it's possible for someone to come by, drop off the car for a spouse and run over and hop in another car (say of a friend) and drive off before the spouse gets to the car - if it's locked and you have the only key (say the other was lost), then there could be a problem. and that last thing we need is headlines saying "Hybrid car tries to kill baby - Quick save by local fire dept" with the actual details burried in the article somewhere.

10. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusnyc @ Oct 16 2006, 12:30 PM) [snapback]333442[/snapback]</div>
    The Prius won't power down, but when the ICE gets to temp, IT will shut down. If you leave it long enough (depending on ambient temp, accessories on, etc), the ICE will restart.