1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumb questions re: aux-ins and amplifiers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vettejock99, Dec 12, 2006.

1. vettejock99

vettejock99 New Member

Greetings all,

I have been trying to piece together everything I need to know to get this done right, but the info I find is either incomplete or conflicting. Here's the deal: after installing a carpc in my 300c and having fair success, I decided to put one in my HOV car, a 2004 Prius. I am getting some hum, although unlike with the 300c it doesn't change pitch when the engine RPMs change, though it does get louder when I brake (which may be unique to the Prius) however. Here are some key points and questions:

1) I am using an amplifier in both cases, mainly because neither car came with an aux in. Now that they are available, if I get something like a PAC AUX-BOX that connects to the CD changer port on the back of the factory radio, and I plug in my car PC to the aux in, will I get sound out of all my speakers or just the fronts? If all, I presume it is the car stereo cloning the signal to the rears?

2) If I stay with the amplifier, and I mount it somewhere mid-vehicle (such as under the passenger seat), is grounding to the rear of the vehicle (about 7 ft of cable) with an 8 or 10 gauge wire sufficient for a 350W amp or does it have to be much shorter? If it must be shorter, how do most shops ground amps that aren't in the very back or very front near main ground points?

This should get me started - thanks!

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vettejock99 @ Dec 12 2006, 12:46 AM) [snapback]360813[/snapback]</div>
    You will get sound on all the speakers. The headunit/amp will handle the sound distribution

You should be able to find a grounding point somewhere around the passenger seat area. Pretty much any bolt will be grounded, so just attach the ground wire to that. As to the gauge of ground wire to use, it will depend on how much power the amp can handle. You will want your ground to be at least the same gauge as the power. What amp are you planning to stick under the seat?

3. vettejock99

vettejock99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Presto @ Dec 12 2006, 01:27 PM) [snapback]361135[/snapback]</div>
    I can't remember the model at the moment. It is a Phoenix Gold digital amp w/optical and RCA ins and 5.1 capability. It is only 4-ohm stable (plus 2-ohm for subwoofer) so it is small. I was looking at putting it under the passenger seat...

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    You can ground an Amp to any point on the frame of the car - there are no "official" ground points in the front or back.

As for placement of the amp... i'm not sure how the '04's were designed, but my '06 already has an amp for the stereo under the passenger seat, so you may want to take a look and make sure nothings already there.

5. vettejock99

vettejock99 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Dec 13 2006, 06:41 AM) [snapback]361431[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, nothing there. I have the basic non-JBL system. Thanks for the info - I think that is where I am going to try it.

6. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok, my dumb question: Everyone seems to get some Infiniti's for their replacement speakers. A friend is throwing in a spare 12" sub and I mentioned replacing the current speakers - he asked if the Infiniti's have the same impedance as the current ones? How shall I answer?