1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumped the 07 Prius after 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheapChic, Apr 7, 2007.

1. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tumbleweed @ Apr 7 2007, 01:49 PM) [snapback]419460[/snapback]</div>
    Naw, the trading it in for a Hicam adds authenticity to the post, and still manages to dig the Prius one last time with the "reduced trade-in" dig. Color me dubious and troll-paranoid. :D

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    must be individual issues. we've driven through the VA/WV mountains plenty of times now, last time in dense fog, sleet, and whipping wind. we didn't fall off the mountain...

DH keeps the alignment in spec but we don't keep it at any specific number. we've got the crap OEM tires, which will be replaced as soon as we find a good special on a new set. everything else is stock. i do not know what to say. maybe it's the car you came from, ours was a POS and maybe cheap came from something nicer. at any rate, we've got no complaints.

3. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I remember reading a post a long time ago (either here or on a Yahoo group) where someone complained about the car being very twitchy and the hardness of the steering wheel hurting their hands! It sounded like that person had an absolute death grip on the steering wheel, and that was probably the source of the extreme twitchiness. I don't know if Cheap has an overly firm hand on the wheel, but that driving style could easily contribute to the problem (in addition to possible problems with the car that others mentioned).

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Apr 7 2007, 01:07 PM) [snapback]419394[/snapback]</div>
    I had a CRX and loved it. It felt completely stable to me, even at 90 mph down the highway. In truth, though, it was a light-weight twitchy little thing, but completely controllable once you were used to it. I also drove a Jeep C-J5 for years. I think you are right on the mark with your thoughts; instead of two types of Prius, I think there are two types of Prius drivers. Those of us that come from a background of driving twitchier cars find the Prius just fine, while others just can't get used to the handling.

Tom

5. Highly ImPriused

Highly ImPriused Impressive Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    For a Cheap Chic, you sure know how to spend money. ;)

All the best with the HyCam.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MegansPrius @ Apr 7 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]419461[/snapback]</div>
    Next, you'll be telling us that you're from Misouri. :p
    I like the part where she says, "waaahhh, I did everything".
    (except re-alignment)
    (and stiffening plate)

7. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've driven 1900-pound vehicles since 1985:
    <blockquote>86 CRX HF
    88 CRX HF
    00 Insight</blockquote>
    If anything, I'd feel more secure in a Prius

8. iaowings

iaowings New Member

You know it is not a sports car or sports sedan. If I drove the prius like my old Mini what do you think would happen if I took one of those 25mp (posted) loop off ramps (the ones that make a very sharp turn and you go anywhere from a 180-270 degree turn.) at 60- 70 mph in the prius. The Mini with sports suspension Pirrelli tires (the really grippy sport tires I think they area rated as Claw as in hangs onto the road no matter what.) and all the extra stuff didn’t even chip the tires. I scared the holly ______ out of a friend doing that but it was so much fun. I don’t think the prius would chirp its tires either or least you would not be on the road long enough to appreciate it.

Even in the Mini if I went zooming by a big truck I got buffeted a bit. If you over react to anything you will loose control of your car. I know with some cars it is easier to loose control than others so give the poster some credit. Maybe she doesn’t have a lot of experience driving long distance and is not used to big trucks buffeting a small car. but cheapchic did say this in a previous post http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30983&hl=

“Since I am in traveling sales, and get a new car every 18 month, the Handling of the Prius is terrible.

I had a Scion XB for a while and it is made my Toyota, and the Handling was better.

After the Prius is done, Honda is comming out with a new hybrid in 2008-09, I will go back to Honda,”

This means Cheapchic is used to driving small cars and drives a lot if the cars are replaced every 18months Cheapchic has a lot of driving experience.

Why would Cheapchic be thrown off the road so easily and people who drive a lot less have no problems? Makes me wonder.
    Again like I said no one car is perfect for everyone but common cheapchic you obviously have driving experience unless you get another car every 18 months because they get to beat up because you play bumper cars and hit everything you see because you cant drive. My friends’ dad gets a car for work because he has to travel all over the country and has a dehabilitating phobia of flying but he gets his replaced every 36 months because in three years he can put over 100k miles on it. you must be driving 18hours a day. How did you have the time to do all the mods on your car and then trade it in? unless you are self employed how did you convince your company to let you switch cars like that. I do think it is cool that your company lets you get a hybrid on their dime not a lot do that and I don’t know any that let you have a car with no mechanical problem for only 5 weeks and trade it. oh how did you get around the company not letting you mod the car as far as I know most companies do not allow employees to modify company cars. . If you are self employed all that is mute.

9. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hill @ Apr 7 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]419477[/snapback]</div>
    In another thread she did claim to adjust the alignment and add the BT stiffening plate.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=30983&hl=

If you believe the posts, she did try everything at some point during the past 5 weeks.

10. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :mellow: Definite alignment problem! I am very pleased with the handling of my 07 touring...even before the BT plate was added.

You want squirrelly, try driving my '91 VW Vanagon (the last year of the big VW vans) in winds! :eek:

Lee

BTW: Re: a prievious post; a point can be "Moot" but never "Mute" or you wouldn't hear it at all! ;)

11. iaowings

iaowings New Member

We both linked the same post Trevor hahaha

This is the list of stuff. On a companies car nice place to work. unless she is self employed then that is great.

When I bought my Prius, I should have taken it out on the E-Way for a test spin.

I WOULD HAVE NOT BOUGHT IT, IF I DID. TO LATE NOW.

Anyway, now with my recent improvements, I now like my Prius. I would love it if not for the Navigation, lockout as you drive feature.

This is what I done.

1Replace Goodyears tires with Michelin Energy Plus tires.

2 Added +.05 toe to the front alignment.

3. Replace the wheels with nicer looking wheels. hate the stock ones.

4. Added the BT Plate, rides better.

5. Replace the terrbile wiper blades with Bosch ICON, now it does whistle on the highway and looks like a modern hi-tech car.

6. Tinted my windows dark.

7. Added my own Sirrus radio.

NOW, i like my car.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Apr 7 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]419511[/snapback]</div>

Um no thanks I am not into sadomasochism. :p

Nothing wrong with VW I like the old bugs and busses.

12. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 7 2007, 04:23 PM) [snapback]419512[/snapback]</div>
    Oops, I spent too much time composing that one. :)

13. acdii

acdii Active Member

I dont understand how anyone would say the car handles bad on the highway. First trip in the car was to hom via the tollway, average speed of the road near 80MPH with a lot of trucks, I didnt notice any issues. I have been in far worse vehicles and this one handled quite well, even with the stiff winds we have had this past week of 45+ mph, car handles well, my wife and I are really impressed with the handling, and the quietness of the car. The other car we have is an 01 Crown Vic and it is far worse on the road, very twitchy steering and tends to wander all over the place when the road is uneven, and the F350 I own wanders, so this car is rock solid. Maybe people should learn to "drive" in something that takes some thought to handle, then they wont be so judgemental when it comes to the way a car handles.

Mythbusters prooved that a truck in no way can blow a car off the road, so I dont know what the heck this person was doing to get "blown" off the road.

14. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Apr 7 2007, 05:06 PM) [snapback]419532[/snapback]</div>
    I forgot about that. Didn’t they make a huge air damn that funneled air in one direction to get maximum force? If you haven’t seen it they went above and beyond to throw a car off the road there is no vehicle on the road that can create the vortex or buffeting winds this thing did and yes it did ruff the car up a bit but never threw it off the road. What they did conclude is that if you over react and swerve back and forth fish tail the car and basically have no idea what you are doing behind the wheel of a car you will probably crash. So cheapcic is either lying or the worst possible driver and should not be in traveling sales that requires her to put so many miles on a car that it need replacing every 18 months.

15. Dan-Wolfe

Dan-Wolfe Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Gadgetdad @ Apr 7 2007, 04:18 PM) [snapback]419511[/snapback]</div>

I had an '85 VW Vanagon. Damn fine vehicle. Drove it up and back from Alaska. Wish I had never gotten rid of it. And I am damn disappointed that they don't make 'em anymore.

Dan

16. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Taxi drivers can put 100k a year on a car and keep it well into the 2- 300k miles. She must not be servicing the cars every 3k and driving non stop 24/7 to put that kind of mileage on a car in one and a half years. Between driving and modifying her cars when does she sell stuff?

17. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Dan-Wolfe @ Apr 7 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]419536[/snapback]</div>
    You are right Dan! My '91 is the best with no real problems and only 115k on her. VW made a bad move discontinuing the large van (just in time for the SUV craze!). So much room inside....my Prius could almost fit inside :lol: It reqires serious driving attention in the wind, though

I see some drivers trying to smoke, talk on phone and steer with their knees at the same time! Due to the tightness of the steering on the Prius, one needs to give driving high priority. Perhaps Cheap was muli-tasking a bit too much while driving.....

Lee

18. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

As opposed to your juvenile actions in playing with your shiny new toy in traffic and obstructing same, instead of recognizing the world around you and going with the flow?

19. ESanders2

ESanders2 New Member

"Her mind was made up from the second she got into the Prius. Not sure why she bought it in the first place. Obviously, a normal car isn't enough, and she needs "special" handling..."

This is why I don't let me wife drive on the highway anymore when I can help it... :rolleyes:

CheapChic - Try riding a motorcycle on the freeway -- the vacuum behind a semi is enough to pull you off the bike at certain speeds if you dilly dally next to his bumper.

20. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheapChic @ Apr 7 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]419353[/snapback]</div>
    Well, whether she was a troll, a really bad driver, or just way too fussy, we'll probably never know. I think this means she's not coming back to PC.