1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumped the 07 Prius after 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheapChic, Apr 7, 2007.

1. zeorai

zeorai New Member

I'm curious, you changed the tires and wheels? What did you change them to? Did you get wider wheels and softer compound tires?

I would have gotten shorter springs first as they are cheaper than new wheels and 4 new tires. In addition that would have lowered the car's center of gravity.

If wanted to go 'round corners quicker you could have tried a rear sway bar.

Just some thoughts and suggestions.

2. bradysplace

bradysplace Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheapChic @ Apr 7 2007, 10:03 AM) [snapback]419353[/snapback]</div>
    Hi CheapChic. You certainly have caused a spirited response. The way I look at it - its your money - do what you want with it. YOU have to feel safe and comfortable in whatever you drive. You perscieved a problem and fixed the problem. The only mistake you made was posting it here. My hats off to ya Chic and your right - life is way too short to be bothered by any of this chit chat. Enjoy your new ride. Greg

3. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The OP's problem was that she didn't drink the purple kool-aid like many of you have.

I drive a lot of different cars and the Prius is one of the worst when it comes to sensitivity to crosswinds and passing semi-trucks. Although neither of our two Prii are a problem for me, I can easily see how the following factors:

1) Alignment specs
    2) Manufacturing tolerances
    3) Driver sensitivity to and discomfort in crosswinds
    4) Frequency of driving in strong croswinds and heavy truck traffic

could combine in a way where their effects reinforced each other and produced a car that a small percentage of the population would deem "undriveable". Any car that's relatively light, slab-sided, with large cross-sectional area and which rides on skinny, high-pressure tires is going to get blown around a bit in crosswinds. I found that getting rid of the stock Integrity tires, and running them at the low-end of recommended pressure (35/33) helped quite a bit. Higher tire pressures IMHO make the car feel a little skittish and nervous, and too willing to change direction, while lower tire pressures seem to help damp things out a bit. YMMV.

4. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Apr 10 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]420695[/snapback]</div>
    Why was that a mistake?

Are you saying she DESERVED the ridicule she got?

My, what a nasty way to live...

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 10 2007, 06:14 AM) [snapback]420707[/snapback]</div>
    It was a mistake, he's saying, b/c she got ridiculed by posting here. Had she not made that mistake there never would have been ridicule. He never suggested or implied that she deserves ridicule.

6. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Apr 10 2007, 07:29 AM) [snapback]420710[/snapback]</div>
    Hmmmm. OK. He simply recognized that CheapChic's posting would generate ridicule. Interesting...

And the thread was never locked or deleted, leaving the implication wide open that the ridicule was deserved, no? The ridicule started immediately and was left alone, and was de facto encouraged by simple group behavior.

There does seem to be an...inconsistency.....around here...

7. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 10 2007, 08:37 AM) [snapback]420728[/snapback]</div>
    No, he acknowledged that it did generate ridicule after the fact...it wasn't a prediction.

Don't test me, there is inconsistency, and there is leaniency where deserved. People can be appropriately critical..as can you. One can call into question intentions. But one must do that in an appropriate manner. I do it not that infrequently...but the number of positive posts vs the number of critical posts is key....when one does little more than respond rudely then you're going to be selected out. We've, for example, given you a LOT of rope. You've generated more complaints in your few weeks here than some of our most notorious members. You've avoided the overt personal attacks for the most part and you've kept your language under control for the most part...and that's the only thing that's saved your nice person to this point.

But I promise you that if you again challenge the way I or the other moderators run this board you will be gone....we've been more than fair with you and have given you far too many warnings. Do not challenge us.

8. CheapChic

CheapChic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bradysplace @ Apr 10 2007, 03:54 AM) [snapback]420695[/snapback]</div>
    thank you

I LOVE THE CAMRY HYBRID....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    IT WAS WORTH IT...

9. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheapChic @ Apr 10 2007, 09:51 AM) [snapback]420737[/snapback]</div>
    Good luck with your new Camry. It is nice to know that you stayed with a Toyota Hybrid. My wife and I test drove each, the prius & Camry Hybrid, before buying the Prius. From reading the posts since we bought our Prius, I am sure that they are not all set up the same way from the factory, ours does very well on the highway even in wind.

Keep us posted on your experiences with the HyCam.

10. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 10 2007, 06:22 AM) [snapback]420700[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think it had anything to do with drinking the Prius kool-aid. Simply her posted experience of being blown into another lanes by trucks and/or crosswinds is contrary to what people are others are experiencing. Compounding this with "doing everything possible" to fix the problem in 5 weeks came off as ridiculous to many. I think that rightly or wrongly most PCers have little patience for doom and gloom statements that seem very off from the collective experience.

Even the posters disagreeing stated that the Prius can be affected by crosswinds, just not as much as reported by the OP. I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone has said that there is no way the Prius can be impacted by trucks or crosswinds. It is a small car and one will feel some movement due to winds and truck passings. If that is completely unacceptable to a person it doesn't mean there is some major flaw in the Prius.

It is a moot point in all though, find a car that is acceptable to you in this regard and enjoy it.

11. daveleeprius

daveleeprius Heh heh heh you think so?

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CheapChic @ Apr 10 2007, 08:51 AM) [snapback]420737[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, the Camry Hybrid is a wonderful car. If my wife and I bought a second car, we would most likely get one. Of course, I would drive the Prius and the wife would get the Camry :)

Certainly the Prius isn't for everyone. It does get pushed around in the wind more than some other cars. That is one negative the body design and light weight have against it.

Dave

12. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

I drove my '07 Touring on the freeway to the dealer to fix a bad tint job, and I did feel some buffeting around on the freeway. I assumed it must have been very windy, but the trees weren't moving at all. I found myself constantly compensating with the steering wheel, and at the end of this 40 mile journey my left wrist hurt like a mofo. My area is also notorious for having grooves in the pavement caused by semi trucks, and I'm sure this exacerbated the issue.

This is the first time I've noticed the effect to such a magnitude. I got the Touring because I thought the larger tires and tuned suspension would result in better handling, but for the first time today I can say that I understand what the OP is talking about. I haven't yet been blown into any other lanes, but when a Dodge Ram pickup causes your Prius to lunge in the opposite direction by 6 inches or more, I think that's a problem.

I dare say that this explains the funny look my salesman gave to another salesman when I asked if I could take the Prius on a freeway test drive.

13. iaowings

iaowings New Member

Wow 6 inches that’s a lot.
    I have never experienced anything like that. But if you have that sucks.

My Mini Cooper weighed much less than a prius and I have never experienced in any car these things. Guess I am luck and got one of the non buffetable prius.

Weird that people are having such large amounts of buffeting in a car. Especially from just a pickup wow. Can you imagine if a big huge tractor-trailer passed you it would have blown you several feet maybe the op is right.

14. snowdog650

snowdog650 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 10 2007, 04:14 AM) [snapback]420707[/snapback]</div>
    Back in the day when I was a psychologist, most intelligence tests and aptitude tests gave people credit and/or points for being able to identify sarcasm.

15. adam1991

adam1991 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(snowdog650 @ Apr 10 2007, 08:55 PM) [snapback]421211[/snapback]</div>

Really.

And how did you fare back then?

16. iaowings

iaowings New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(adam1991 @ Apr 10 2007, 09:12 PM) [snapback]421219[/snapback]</div>
    Im sure he did well unless his PT were not very smart.

On a side note it is interesting that identifying sarcasm is associated with intelligence. But what about the people who are obviously very intelligent but have trouble with sarcasm? Were do they fit in?

17. micheal

micheal I feel pretty, oh so pretty.

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 10 2007, 10:46 PM) [snapback]421232[/snapback]</div>

The current intelligence tests don't give extra credit for identifying sarcasm, at least the mainstream ones. As far as those with high intelligence but have trouble with sarcasm is one of the things that theories of multiple intelligence try to address. Most have some component of interpersonal intelligence or a kind of street smarts/real world intelligence.

18. PriusBoyAZ

PriusBoyAZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IAO @ Apr 10 2007, 03:38 PM) [snapback]421129[/snapback]</div>
    I would like to update my "buffeting" experience. I have since determined that my wrist pains were caused by overuse of my new 17" MacBook Pro keyboard, and I did not experience much buffeting at all on the way back from the dealer after dark. It seems the buffeting only occurs during the day. I think the sun is causing my Prius to behave uncontrollably, perhaps it gets excited but then realizes it is not a solar vehicle. LOL

19. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusBoyAZ @ Apr 11 2007, 02:13 AM) [snapback]421346[/snapback]</div>
    LOL! :D Thanks for lightening up the atmosphere of this thread!

I'm glad CheapChic is still talking to us. I enjoy reading opinions from all perspectives and experiences.

In my case, for 12 years I took on the challenge of "riding the bucking bronco" in my full size Chevy Van whenever there were strong crosswinds. It was fun! I guess I have a warped sense of humor or an overly optimistic outlook on life.

20. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Apr 10 2007, 05:22 AM) [snapback]420700[/snapback]</div>
    I do agree with this. The car out of the box is more active on the road than other similarly sized and weighted vehicles. However, these traits would have been discovered during an adequate test drive.

Take this as a lesson CheapChic, test drive every car thoroughly before you buy it.