1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dumped the 07 Prius after 5 weeks

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CheapChic, Apr 7, 2007.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 11 2007, 04:07 PM) [snapback]459692[/snapback]</div>
    This I will grant you, but others have said the car is dangerous to drive in crosswinds and on the freeway, and that is not so.

Its a boring car to drive, but no moreso than a Corolla or something like that...

2. skandale

skandale Member

I think it's quite interesting to follow this thread about the handling og the Prius.

I live in Norway, with twisty roads all around. I currently own a 2005 Peugeot 1007, which is a compact car (short and rather high) with a little firm settings, even to european standards. I test drove a Prius for abount 100miles (160km) in and around Oslo. I really like the handling. I really want a smoother, more comfortable ride.

When the norwegian magazines tested the Prius, they commented that the interior design andoverall handling were typically more aimed for the american market than the european. I think that's fine. You just have to realize that you drive a car whit an emphasis on comfort rather than sporty handling. Of course it won't handle lika a VW Golf GTI, but they are two completely different cars.

Yes, it may react to side winds, but try a Peugeot 1007 and you will see that it's not alone.

In Norway, Toyota sold the same number of Prii in Q1 2007 as in all of 2006 combined, so the delivery times for the Prius has gone up lately. So I'll have to wait until 14. September to get my Prius. It's going to be a loooong summer... ;-)

Stein Tore

3. acdii

acdii Active Member

I laugh when I see these complaints and far fetched comparisons. You cant compare the prius with a luxury car! The Prius is a technological leap ahead compared to other cars, which is what you are paying for, not a sports car. I have been driving cars since 1983, and believe me, I drove some really crappy cars. The prius far exceeds most cars I have driven as far as handling. A car only handles as well as the person behind the wheel can make it perform. I have taken it around a nasty s curve at 48 MPH without problems where most other cars have trouble doing it at 35, sure there is some body roll, and the rear end tends to squish, but I expect it, and know how to push the car to its limits without exceeding them. I can take my F350 and weave it through the eye of a needle if I have to, and can out drive most people with their fancy handling cars, which makes some peoples eyes bulge to see an 8000 pound truck with 6 wheels do what it does. Can you drift? Ever seen a dually do it? It takes a lot of control and experience to make a car perform. The Prius can perform, it is all in how much experience the driver has. My 01 CV Sport can out handle some of those fancy over priced bmers and Mercedes, it just lacks power, but handles extremely well for a 4000# hunk of american iron, and can do so with 5 adults sitting comfortably inside.

It is all in how much experience the person behind the wheel has. For the average driver, there is nothing wrong with how the prius handles, for those who do have problem, I suggest taking some driving lessons to learn how to better handle a car and anticipate how the car will react in certain situations. If you dont know how to counteract a crosswind, well, call a cab.

4. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The Prius is a little more sensitive to wind than others I have owned of similar size. The narrow tires, especialy when inflated to high pressure, and the electric power steering are the main causes of this I feel. The steering is very sensitive to input (just as is the accelerator pedal.) It is a good thing once adjusted to.

this post:
    1. I am happy I live 2000 miles away.
    2. I have been driving since 1962 in many lands and in many conditions, and never felt the need to drift.
    3. Driving on publicly owned roads isn't about competition, it is about getting from A to B safely.
    4. Anyone can sit in a car seat and make the machine move fast.
    5. Bad and dangerous drivers usually think they are the best drivers.
    6. Slow down and live, and let live.
    7. Most driver training courses would agree with 3-6 above.

5. thebrattygurl

thebrattygurl New Member

All I can say is that I have had my Prius (Touring, Pkg 5, with leather) since mid-April, and LOVE it!

I drive in strong winds on the highway to and from work everyday (70 miles RT), and while I have felt the wind pressure/effect, it has never knocked me into another lane. Then, again I don't typically drive over 75 mph!

It is no different than what I experienced in my 2003 Acura MDX, which I traded in for the Prius.

No offense intended here, but I can't imagine you had so many issues with yours.

Sounds like you decided you just didn't like it, and created a list of "100" problems to justify your decision.

6. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mr.Vanvandenburg @ Jun 12 2007, 11:28 AM) [snapback]460195[/snapback]</div>
    IF you are replying 3-6 to me, guess again, I road race on official tracks, not on public highways. That is just foolish, reckless and dangerous. A good driver can take any safe car, meaning, parts aren't going to fall off, and the frame is not bent and has alignment in specs, and drive the pants off of it. It is all on how you focus on that tasks at hand, IE keeping your mind on the road, not just in front of you, but on all sides, putting the damned cell phone away, not blasting the radio to the point where you are distracted, and distract others, keeping both hands on the wheel, not one holding a smoke, flicking it out the window and a burger in the other. Distractions like that are #1 causes of crashes. You are the one in control of tons of moving metal and plastic, you are the one who should be aware of what is going on around you, don't blame your car if you go off the road, it is your responsibility to maintain 100% control of it. Learning how to control your car is your responsibility, no one else's. If you cant control your car, stay off the road. Taking a driving course in a performance car on a track does wonders for your driving ability, you learn patience, you learn respect, and most important you learn how to anticipate what is around you and react to it before it reacts on you. Drive 5 seconds ahead of you, not at your dashboard. Read the road ahead, not the car directly in front of you, but several cars ahead of you, what they do impact what you do, when they slow down, so do you, so when you see that a car up ahead hits the brakes, you know you are going to slow down, so react then, not when the car in front of you does. IF there are crosswinds, watching cars ahead of you can give you a clue, trees can give you a clue, you can therefore anticipate that there will be a chance a strong wind will broadside you, and you can be prepared for it. Blaming the car for going off the road because its windy is a poor excuse, you went off the road, not the car. I have logged over a million miles behind the wheel of an 18 wheeler, and let me tell you, there are a LOT of stupid idiotic drivers out there, that do stupid things, the worse being cutting off a 40 ton truck and then slamming on the brakes, guess what, you will get hit, don't blame the truck for that! Most car vs truck accidents are caused by the driver of the car. a 40 ton truck as a total of 10 brakes to stop it, your 1 ton car has 4. Do the math. A truck moves a massive amount of air around it, your car doesn't, so be prepared when it passes you to feel that air push against you as it goes by, be prepared for the suction right after the truck passes you too, it will pull you towards it. Follow those simple rules and you can drive anything out there and be safe in it. A car is only as good as the person behind the wheel.

7. HiLaker

HiLaker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 12 2007, 12:00 AM) [snapback]459755[/snapback]</div>
    I joined this forum for the fist time more than three years ago under different id. I can prove it.

This is Prius I had for a 3 years (actual photo of my actual car) [​IMG]

Any questions?

Therefore, you smell what you smoke. ;)

On the positive side: Prius is the best car to drive in a traffic jam. No stress. But only till battery charge lasts which is not a lot as most of you perfectly know. ;(

8. HiLaker

HiLaker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ Jun 12 2007, 05:19 PM) [snapback]460137[/snapback]</div>
    I have a lot of respect to your driving experience, but (sorry) you make me laugh :D :D :D

I guess it is always personal, but for me driving pleasure is not about competition or ambition.
    It's about quality of communication with the car and the road.

You cannot get high fidelity sound if you have mikey mouse amplifier, right?

Prius built to match PZEV, not the real people's needs and preferences. It is dull. Technologically it is dead end, because it srew up car's architecture, adding unnecessary weight and makes car underpowered once battery is discharged. Too much reliance on electronics, too little mechanical (drivetrain) or engine innovation.

And I am not judging by reading somebody's articles, but based on my personal experience.

My takeaway: 1) Toyota is overrated; 2) Prius is not a bad car, good choice as a city only car for grand parents, but too dull for me. That's all. B)

9. TooFolkGR

TooFolkGR New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is a curious post. Last Thursday I took my new Prius to Chicago and back (From Grand Rapids MI) and it was one of the windiest nights in memory. We had 40-50 mph wind bursts out of the south so I got it from both sides on the way to Chicago and back. I could definitely "feel" the wind but I don't think it was any worse than my previous car (A 2000 Ford Focus Wagon). I passed and was passed by every manner of semi and touring bus without being blown into a whole other lane. I think you may have just had some kidn of unfortunate "perfect storm" of events that led to this. Sorry you didn't like your Prius, but I'm glad I haven't had any experiences like that with mine.

10. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Sorry if this has been mentioned - it's a pretty long thread to follow..

But not many posts have been very specific about the model year of their Prius. As I understand it, the 2006 got many suspension tweaks, and several more were made in the 2007 touring package models. I can appreciate some of the negative comments on handling - but I have to wonder if they were on the more squishy and leany 2004/2005 models?

Personally I think that the handling on my 2006 is adequate. Nothing like a Porsche Boxter, and still not even as nice as a Toyota Matrix, but adequate. Much better than my 10 year old Isuzu Rodeo.. (ick!)

Cheers!
    Dave

11. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 12 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]460296[/snapback]</div>
    Do I misunderstand, or are you confused? One can drive a Prius all day stop-and-go with the A/C running and not stress the battery.

12. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Jun 12 2007, 05:20 PM) [snapback]460410[/snapback]</div>
    I figured it was a reference to if you have been in stop and go for awhile that the engine will immediately turn when you are in the 2 bars zone. But the car has the same power and will pull assist from the pack as needed.

13. Wetnabber

Wetnabber New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Apr 7 2007, 10:06 AM) [snapback]419372[/snapback]</div>
    Same here. Everything is stock on my 2006 and it handles great. I love it. Just got back off 8 state trip with no problems at all. I do have nitrogen in my stock Goodyear tires and the pressure at 40PSI. I doubt if that would make too much difference.

14. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 12 2007, 04:06 PM) [snapback]460361[/snapback]</div>
    And you don't think our opinions are based on our own experiences? We all own the car too.

So you decide Toyota is overrated because of your experience with one car?

Its fine to say its not for you, but just because something is not for you doesn't mean its not worthwhile. With the astounding success the Prius, and Toyota in general has enjoyed worldwide I would imagine that the car must be right for a great many people. You strike me as a little bit of a handling snob, which a lot of europeans are which is fine, but you are not the be all and end all judge for whats worthwhile and whats not.

I'm not completely in love with the Prius, but I have more class than to put it and its owners down just because they see something in the car I don't see.

15. zqfmbg

zqfmbg New Member

Going to leave most of the rest alone, but I just have to call this out:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 12 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]460361[/snapback]</div>
    Who are "the real people"? As far as I can tell, everyone living on this planet is real, and yet everyone has different needs and preferences. At face value, the sentence is nonsensical, so I must surmise that something deeper is afoot.

16. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HiLaker @ Jun 12 2007, 01:37 PM) [snapback]460296[/snapback]</div>
    So, you really owned a Prius. Wow. So do ALL of the people on this forum, the majority of whom, to one degree or another, disagree with you when it comes to handling.

And you were active three years ago here. Really? Wow. And back then you were saying what about the Prius?

I'm just not sure what you're trying to accomplish by coming back and complaining about the car after three years. It sounds to me like you're trying to justify your own decision to sell the car. You're certainly not convincing anyone else who drives one.

At least the OP, CheapChic, was upfront and honest about her experiences. She spoke out once about why she traded in her brand new Prius, gave us a follow-up about how she loved the HyCam, and then left.

We are very sorry you couldn't handle the Prius, and we are glad you are happy to be rid of it. :)
    Next topic...

17. LazyBear

LazyBear New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 12 2007, 11:05 PM) [snapback]460588[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, negative information is most useful in many forums, this one included. Obviously most people who own subject of a forum (Prius, Mercedes, a book, a home theater equipment, etc) will praise what they own. They did their research and they bought what they wanted. Good. Now, people who haven't yet bought the item want to know both positive and negative experiences. Especially negative ones since one bad thing can spoil the whole purchase. Example: Lexus does not allow driver to use most of the nav and phone system functionality while car is in motion. That is all I need to know about Lexus - no deal. I don't care about anything else in that car since I will hating it every day no matter how nice it is in all other areas.

I owned Prius for 3 years and sold it. It was a good car, but after a while quite a few things started bugging me more and more. It was not a luxury car, assembly quality was not very high either. It is rather typical $25K car. I want luxury, AWD sedan. That's all. If it is available in hybrid or diesel versions, I will be first in line to get one. Your mileage may vary, of course. Why I am still reading this forum? Well, I owned Prius for three years, so I did like the car to a point. I want to be up to date with current developments, hopefully new Toyota or Lexus models will be better. Meanwhile, I am back to regular cars.

18. Per

Per New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(skanDALE @ Jun 12 2007, 07:23 AM) [snapback]460045[/snapback]</div>
    Stein,

I don't think you can claim the interior is designed for the American market. Our Motor Trend magazine called the interior "office furniture from Pluto". I thought that was cute!
    Ellers hvordan står det til med bilisme i Norge? Hører bilene er riktig dyre!
    How much is a Prius in Norway these days by the time you load it up with all the packages?

19. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(LazyBear @ Jun 12 2007, 10:51 PM) [snapback]460623[/snapback]</div>
    Here's the problem with your Lexus analogy. There is a difference between fact and opinion. You lump both together as "information".

Fact: In a Lexus, you cannot use nav while driving.
    Fact: A Prius is not built like a luxury car that costs much more.
    Opinion (not yours necessarily, but back to the subject at hand): A Prius handles poorly.

This last is opinion because it is based on the personal experience and skills of each driver. While I agree that hearing other opinions is a good thing, it is the duty of those who disagree with this opinion to make sure that it is registered AS opinion, and not accepted by a new reader as fact.

"I read on PriusChat where the Prius has horrible handling, so that's why I won't buy one..." Anyone who accepts this position without at least test-driving the car is doing themselves a disservice.

Here's MY opinions and relevant facts:

FACT: The Prius is one of the most fuel-efficient vehicles available, and has low emissions.
    FACT: The Prius has room for five people, or tons of cargo space (with fewer passengers).
    OPINION: The Prius is roomy, comfortable, easy to drive, safe, convenient, and fun. To me, this IS a luxury car.

20. acdii

acdii Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 12 2007, 11:12 PM) [snapback]460638[/snapback]</div>
    Bingo. In this day and age, you get what you pay for. Today cars are not cheap, so you want to get the most out of them. The Prius does fit that bill in most respects. No it is not a luxury car, was never intended to be one, no it is not a sports car, it is intended to be what it is, a highly fuel efficient, extremely low emissions, family car. I am considering getting plates for it that say TARDIS and some number. It is much roomier inside than it appears to be from the outside, the main reason I decided to buy it. It fit the bill for my criteria, room for three children and my wife, and gets good fuel economy, the topping on the cake is that it is a Toyota which are known to be very reliable vehicles .

Funny thing I heard on the radio regarding cars, it was a commercial for I think a dealership, but I was laughing so much I didn't hear the rest of it. Women calls her son who owns a service station, blah blahblah ensues, then he asks why she never brings her car over to have him change the oil, her reply that I heard before busting out laughing, "I bought my car because it is an investment" :blink: :lol: um, I don't know of many cars that could be considered an investment, at least none that are under several hundred thousand dollars, and even those cant be considered an investment.