1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dunst giving prius owners a "bad image"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adamwmcanally, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ok, this is most likely a matter of common sense... There are plenty of places where you can zip into the HC spot, zip in and out, do what you have to do, with no problems. I've done it before, sue me.

2. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]326965[/snapback]</div>
    Ok - I'll bite -

Common sense or laziness - I've got the same problem with the people who flick their cigarette butts out the window.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'd go with laziness... There's no "common sense" that leads to breaking the law. It's like someone cutting in line at the DMV because she "has kids in the car"... it's just rude and selfish.

4. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Oct 2 2006, 02:19 PM) [snapback]326970[/snapback]</div>
    Ok, you go drop off clothes at the dry cleaners, or something amongst those lines, the parking lot is almost totally empty, and there just happens to be a bank of 3 empty HC spaces right in front of the dry cleaning place...

there's obviously a line between something like that, and actually taking up, let's say, something like the last HC space at a crowded mall near Xmas...

It's just like speed limits, how many of us here never go above the posted limit? :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 2 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]326979[/snapback]</div>
    the law in some States say you have to flee in the face of an attack from someone... Someone is about to smash your skull in with a lead pipe while you're on the ground and can't run, yet you've got a loaded .45 in your hand, and the safety is off... Are you going to try and roll away as the law says, or are you going to pump him full of lead? The law is the law afterall... :lol:

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    So is everyone just jumping to conclusions, rather than finding out if she was dropping off or picking up someone with a disability?

I have provided transport with the Prius for my relatives, who carry their handicap parking tag for that very purpose. Parking close to assist them is totally legit then.

6. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]326980[/snapback]</div>
    That sucker is dying then and there. Then again, I live in a state that actually let's you do just that.

7. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Oct 2 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]326985[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, me too... :D

8. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 02:38 PM) [snapback]326980[/snapback]</div>
    IF my life was in danger, and I had no choice, absolutely I'd pump him full of lead.

IF the HC parking spot was the last one at the mall on a crowded day, I'd drive around until someone left a standard space open - even though my wife would probably be screaming at me.

I'd probably have a better shot of acquittal in court for the act of self defence as apposed to getting that parking fine overturned.

9. billyboy

billyboy Guest

If you think its bad for somebody to park in a handicaped spot consider this. Several months ago In Chicago the Secretary of State's office (DMV) had several employees caught using handicaped stickers while parking their cars at work at the agency that hands them out. Of course none were actually handicaped but one was caught by a local TV news crew in the act. That led to several other employees found doing the same thing.

10. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 02:14 PM) [snapback]326965[/snapback]</div>
    It's also common sense if you need money and there's an old lady walking down the street, hey, no one will see you! Zip in, do what you have to do, with no problems.

(I have NOT done that before. No need to sue me)

11. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]326980[/snapback]</div>
    big difference when you're talking about personal convenience versus life or death... Also, what state won't stand up to your right for self defense in a case like you propose?

from article 12 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the UN (and thus the US) on Dec. 10, 1948: "No one shall be subjected to arbitrary interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to attacks upon his honour and reputation. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks."

When it comes to "Duty to retreat" (the official term for this situation), the only burdon of proof is to show that the defendant was acting reasonably. If you're standing there with the gun while a guy with a knife runs a quarter mile at you, odds are you had a reasonable avenue of retreat. If you're on the ground (presumably having been knocked there), with a guy standing over you about to smash your skull in, you're perfectly within your rights to defend yourself, having no reasonable manor of retreat.

12. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Oct 2 2006, 02:31 PM) [snapback]326979[/snapback]</div>

I ship freight twice a week and almost always end up parking in the handicap stall while doing the paperwork. I keep on eye on my truck and if anyone drives up I check to see if they want that stall. There is limited parking at the airline freight department and the truck needs to be moved after unloading the freight. Handicap people have a right to a close stall but not instantaneous parking places, I feel they can wait a minute while I run out and move. I am only being rude or selfish if I actually stopped someone from using the stall that wanted to park there and couldn't. And don't tell me I don't know what is is like for handicap people, my Dad was a WW II DAV.

13. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have an almost empty lot, how much time would you be saving by taking a HC spot vs one of the other one? A minute? I'm just not in that much of a hurry.

I'd say most of us speed because we know we can "get away with it". Going 5-10 over on the interstate probably isn't going to get you pulled over because you're going with the flow of traffic. But if there's town whose police have a rep for pulling over speeders, you're more likely to play it safe.

Even if my conscience would allow me to park in a HC spot, I just don't know how often someone is checking those spots. I'm healthy and can walk a few extra feet.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Oct 2 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]326991[/snapback]</div>
    I'd just turn around and head home, wondering the whole time why I thought I could get a parking space on Black Friday. :p

As for this picture, we really can't tell what the deal is. Only 1/2 the car is shown. It's possible that she was driving someone handicapped and the photographer left that part out. I do agree with Salsawonder, though. If she was driving someone who's handicapped, if that person didn't get out of the car she should have chosen a different spot.

14. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 01:38 PM) [snapback]326980[/snapback]</div>
    Ahh, so we start down the slippery slope. Would it be okay to take the last HC spot on Thanksgiving? How about on Secretary's Day? I think it's a bad, bad idea to allow an individual to intrepret the law as (s)he sees fit.

Actually, I wouldn't be carrying a loaded .45 with the safety off in the first place. And, believe it or not, I would roll away...not because it's the law but because I believe that it's not for me to stand in the ultimate judgement of another human being, if there is ANY possible way of avoiding it.

Please don't shoot me or take my parking space because you don't agree with me!

15. Mystery Squid

BTW, I also almost always use the handicapped stall in the mens room.

Know why?

...because it's bigger, and I've YET to see anyone roll into restroom in a wheelchair...

16. erogla

erogla New Member

shes good looking

17. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Proco @ Oct 2 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]327011[/snapback]</div>
    On behalf of all that is wholesome, good, and non-fattening, I would like to thank you for your conscientious participation in our legal social system, and would like to remind you your Social Security check will be promptly mailed to you at some point in the future.

18. dreichla

dreichla New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]327027[/snapback]</div>
    LOL

19. ralphbongo

ralphbongo New Member

Lets see its ok to use the handicap parking space and the handicap stall cause you want to. Your life must be about poopin and parking. Me I need to shed a few pounds so I don't mind the extra walk. Its not only bad manners but just not right.

20. VinceDee

VinceDee Member

I would like to point out that Kirsten Dunst isn't giving Prius drivers a bad image, because she doesn't represent Prius drivers. She is just a person who drives a car that happens to be a Toyota Prius. Using the original posts same faulty logic it could be argued that she is giving white people/ women drivers/ young people/ blonds/ Toyota drivers/ Japanese car drivers/ actors/ hybrid drivers/ etc a "bad image". Yet, she is not, because she isn't representing those groups...she is only representing herself. I trust that someone observing her has the ability to come to the conclusion that, if she is indeed breaking the law, her poor judgement reflects only on her.

BTW, there is some seriously faulty reasoning going on in this thread, but I'm not going to get into it further except to point the fact out. I hope some of you think (and act) more rationally in your non-Internet lives than portrayed here.

A new Prius owner jumping right into the fray,

Vince :)