1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dunst giving prius owners a "bad image"

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by adamwmcanally, Sep 30, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 2 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]327012[/snapback]</div>
    Why? That's what the courts are for. I agree with most laws, disagree with others, and flat out violate others on a rather routine basis. Should the courts disagree with me and my interpretation, they always have the option of expending the energy to arrest me, and take me in to debate the matter personally with a representative of their choice. :D

2. billyboy

billyboy Guest

My view, they hand out the HC stickers too easily.

My mother had serious heart problems, was on kidney dialysis both made her short of breath, and she had arthritis so bad in her back, legs and knees she could barely walk ten feet wthout looking for place she hoped she could sit down. NEVER got a HC sticker or parked in a HC spot either. Doctors told her she would end up in a wheelchair... twenty years before she died. Never did that either. Some people simply need a crutch. Others don't and just make the best of what they were handed in life.

Fact is we've all seen what could be best described as fat, lazy no acounts that had a HC sticker they had no business having or who was driving obviously wasn't handicaped in any way except maybe they were mentally challenged meaning they were looking for an excuse to grab a better parking spot and they got a HC sticker out of shere lazyness.

Yep, there'a good reason for HC spots, but most often those that are given a HC sticker really don't need them. In all the years and well over a million miles I've driven I can count on one hand the number of times I actually saw a truly handicaped person parking in a HC spot.

There, glad I got that off my chest. :blink:

3. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All this talk reminds me of those @$$ hats at amusement parks that bring their handicapped friend along just so they don't have to wait in line. The person in the wheelchair never gets on the ride but all their friends practically do back flips on to the ride. I always stop myself from yelling out “HAY WHEELCHAIR GUY! ARNT YOU GOING TO RIDE? NO? THEN TELL YOUR FRIENDS TO GET THE *$#@@#$! IN THE BACK OF THE LINE!†:angry:

This only happens about %75 of the time. The other %25 the person in the wheelchair does get on the ride.

OK i'm done now.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]327047[/snapback]</div>
    Why? because violating the laws you don't agree with is not just about you and your relation to the criminal justice system. Whether you admit it or not you're *not* acting in a vacuum.

Your 'choice' may likely impact others, possibly causing substantial or irreperable damage...for which, I suspect, you may be unwilling and/or financially unable to assume responsibility.

And, no, that's not what insurance is for.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 2 2006, 03:14 PM) [snapback]327081[/snapback]</div>
    Fortunately, I don't believe that anyone is responsible for whether a meteor falls upon me or not.

Besides, I drive in a zigzag pattern like convoys in WWII, to make myself a more difficult target.
    [teehee]

7. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :rolleyes:

This just goes back to the fact that everybody who is famous or a politician is expected to be perfect 100% of the time. She's a person too, just like you and me. There is absolutely no context for this picture, you don't know where she is, who'se in the car with her, etc. Maybe wherever she is its customary to

Lets assume she did park in the space illegally for a second, plenty of people do that and it doesn't mean she's a bad person, hates or even doesn't care about cripples. She just did something dumb, she's a human being.

Case in point. My father has a customer who'se office he visits from time to time. One time the news was doing a story about this company, and they were filming the outside of the building. As they're filming he drives up, parks in a no parking space, and walks into the office.

Now, anybody who saw that would think "that jerk, look at him park there in front of that fire hydrant", and yes we got a lot of laughs at his expense over it. What you did not know by looking at the film was that its common practice at that company to park there when you're just running in for a minute. Everybody does it, and nobody cares.

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SW03ES @ Oct 2 2006, 05:10 PM) [snapback]327129[/snapback]</div>
    Just happened to me.

Here's the written version KITV ran after three days of sound bites saying they were investigating possible unattended ballots and a possible security breach. They edited the video to show the taxi van open without the driver in the frame implying they found the taxi that way. Never had video of the driver away from the van. Never asked me about procedures. They knew after the first time they ran the story there was no story there but still kept implying the cab driver was at fault. They kept reporting twice a day they were investigating it and running more creatively edited video. Really low class shoddy reporting. You think those Internet sites have more integrity than a news channel? Maybe they do.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15006649/

9. curtissac

curtissac New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ralph b @ Oct 2 2006, 02:42 PM) [snapback]327044[/snapback]</div>
    Hell, I use have used "handicapped" restrooms stalls. They are not reserved. They are simply marked as accessable. I have been known to walk on wheel chair ramps too.

This is not the same as taking a handicapped parking stall. Those are reserved for good reason.

10. raljen

raljen New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(billyboy @ Oct 2 2006, 12:46 PM) [snapback]327048[/snapback]</div>
    HC stickers are not easy to get ...... the primary care physician has to fill out a form from the DMV. Then it goes before a state board that has at least one or two docs on it...... they will evaluate if the reason the original doc gave is valid or not..... There are many phsical disabilities that qualify a person for a HC sticker that do not involve a wheelchair, crutches or a walker........ My father had congestive heart failure which qualified him for a HC sticker...... because he was not limping when he would get out of his car, many times the self-righteous onlookers would harass him by questioning him as to the reason he thought he should have the sticker and park in the HC spot, or at least give him the evil stare. Some would even leave nasty notes on his windshield.l People that have a sticker and are parked in the HC spots should not have to give strangers the run down on their medical history just so they can be left alone...... some people just need to mind their own business and quit judging everyone else.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(writergal @ Oct 3 2006, 01:55 AM) [snapback]327197[/snapback]</div>
    Damn right!

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dreichla @ Oct 1 2006, 02:44 PM) [snapback]326567[/snapback]</div>
    hahaha....ok wise guy

about making assumptions about handicap parkers. i have a friend who is wheelchair bound. i used to frequently (we lived in same 11 unit apartment complex) take him to the store. most of the time, i would run in to pick up one or two items for him while giving him a ride somewhere like water, snacks, etc. have had a million rude stares at me which i simply return with a beaming smile.

13. billyboy

billyboy Guest

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(writergal @ Oct 3 2006, 12:55 AM) [snapback]327197[/snapback]</div>
    How hard or easy it is to get a HC sticker varies greatly from state to state. Living in a major metro area (Chicago area) every week I see so-called "handicapped" people getting out of cars, one once went jogging down a park path, another time this guy parked by a home improvement store and was loading a car full of lumber into his SUV. Obviously nothing handicapped with either.

My point is people that get HC stickers think this is a license to grab a HC spot when there is nobody handicapped in the car. That's obviously abuse. Those that do abuse the privilag should be ticked as well as people that park in such spots that aren't handicapped.

14. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]327027[/snapback]</div>
    There's nothing wrong with a non-handicapped person using the handicap stall if there's nobody in a wheelchair who needs to use it.

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mystery Squid @ Oct 2 2006, 11:14 AM) [snapback]326965[/snapback]</div>
    Doesn't surprise me a bit.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john1701a @ Oct 2 2006, 11:38 AM) [snapback]326983[/snapback]</div>
    This is a possibility I didn't think of in my previous list. Why doesn't the photographer show the whole car? Is it because the woman shown (whether it was Dunst or not) is transporting a disabled person? Maybe this is her volunteer work. She is giving a severely disabled old lady a ride home from the hospital. On the way they stopped for coffee. Kirsten helped the old lady inside and then helped her to get back into the car, and then went around to the driver's side to get in.

People who take sneak photos of celebrities are very often far from scrupulous. They get paid a lot of money for those photos, or at least they hope to. I'd be inclined to give the driver the benefit of the doubt.

To all those who make excuses for parking in the HC spot if you or your passenger is not disabled, that's just plain low. To compare it with speeding is like comparing bank robbery with stealing milk from a baby.

If the picture really is Dunst, and if she really didn't have a legitimate reason for parking there, then I say she should be punished (and I'll volunteer to do the punishing). But until we have a positive ID on the woman in the picture, and know definitely whether it's her car, and why the car is parked there, Kirsten Dunst has a clean bill of health in my book. (Though I'd still offer to punish her, if she's into that sort of thing).

Hey, the photographer has even blacked out the license plate! For all we know, the car has a HC plate, and the women in the picture is just admiring the Prius before walking off to her own car.

16. gross2

gross2 New Member

Maybe what's happening is that Dunst has walked over to the Prius in order to ask the driver to please not park in the HC space. And she seems to be reaching for the handle because she's doggone mad and ready to challenge the driver to a fight. (Oh, and in her hand are the keys to her *own* Prius, which is parked elsewhere.)

;)