1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Durability Survey from Toyota

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by dubit, Nov 13, 2018.

1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Anyone else getting this survey?

If I hadn't checked my junk email, I'd have never seen it. It took me about 15 minutes to complete and covered pretty much everything. Was intrigued to see they asked about what type of phone I used with the car at the very end of the survey. Maybe because it was the only thing on the survey that didn't have to do with durability.

The two issues I listed were:
    Underpowered
    Vibration/Shudder while cruising around 45 mph.
    (The one we get right about at the "ECO" line on the display) Normal operation yes, but it's annoying.

2. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nope, no survey here. It's clearly a hacker just trying to find out what phone you use so they can hack it next.

dubit and bat4255 like this.
  3. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It's a combined 98 hp... did you expect it to be "more" powered? If not, why would you claim it "under" powered? Can't it just be powered? :D

4. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Before we bought I heard a lot of noise that these were underpowered. It's certainly not a fast car by any measure, but I can't call it underpowered. Roads and traffic controls are still being designed for vehicles with even less acceleration authority than these.

Keep in mind, in other markets it's got a 1.0 or 1.3L engine.

fuzzy1, michael.sfo and ztanos like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    interesting, i have never seen one in 14 years

6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two

Well I selected it because it was a multiple choice question, with no comments of my own to insert. I do feel it is underpowered however. It takes me forever just to get to highway speed. So much so I often find myself embarrassed to be driving it when I’m first to take off at a light with multiple cars behind me. Because I know they, like me are in a hurry to get to work and I’m the slow poke holding everyone up. I’ve been in their shoes

ztanos likes this.
  7. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Nah, neighbor across the street just got her survey today. May be a model year thing though. We have both had ours for barely over 2 years.

8. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Right they need a mature, settled respondent because I might just YOLO and F this and drive off a cliff Thelma and Louise style after only making 7 payments, so they are fishing from the other end of the perceived maturity pool.

:cautious:

9. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Really? I’ve been involved with Toyota most of my life. Their insistence on sending these surveys is almost annoying. I’ve even gotten them after a routine oil change.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    dealer surveys i have seen, nothing from corporate except marketing

11. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer surveys.. I think all you need to do to get one of those is drive onto the lot. :)

Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    That's interesting. I have no issues with this car... in fact, this thing from 0-30 is quick.... then, not so much. But still, 0-60 in 10 seconds isn't a dog. You want a slow car, drive my old 73 beetle. 0-60 in 17 seconds.
    From a red light, if you actually give this thing gas, it will go. I've kept up with my FIL's turbo Acura :D until I hit 30 mph.
    Granted, I DO NOT use ECO mode. It kills the throttle mapping and makes the thing a dog in all but full throttle situations.

michael.sfo likes this.
  13. michael.sfo

michael.sfo Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I'm interested, could you say more about throttle mapping? In the month since I bought my car, I have driven it in ECO mode in all situations except for one time doing my daily 50-mile commute. I appear to get about 5 MPG better mileage with ECO mode and I am satisfied with the acceleration performance.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    each mode requires more pedal travel to achieve the same acceleration. so eco mode (most pedal travel) trains your brain to accept slower acceleration and save gas

it also surpasses the hvac to a degree which also helps

michael.sfo likes this.
  15. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed. The C is not a slouch by a long shot. I've at least kept up with Corollas, Camrys, Altimas, Civics, Accords and once even completely embarrassed a BRZ (who was aggressively tailgating me on an extended on-ramp, until I got behind him and he couldn't pull away, but he had it coming). You basically have to floor it and keep it there until you reach freeway speeds.

ztanos likes this.
  16. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    In ECO mode, all but full throttle is essentially a snail. But full throttle = full throttle in all modes, so that doesn't change.

dubit and michael.sfo like this.
  17. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Say, here's a perfect example of why I say the C is underpowered.

Yesterday while entering the Interstate on a slight incline- 42mph was the MAX speed I could achieve by the time I had to merge into traffic. As I was unable to effectively merge, I found myself on the shoulder creeping along. I didn't feel like I was in any danger, just agitated that I couldn't get the car to give any more than what it had. (ECO was off)

This is the first time I've had to enter an Interstate on an incline, but I do feel it's a great example of why I feel it's underpowered.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what speed did you hit as you entered? i used to have that problem on a certain local onramp in my 300sd merc diesel. i think i could get it up to about 45 at the top of the ramp

19. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From a dead stop. It's a left turn at the stoplight under the bridge and a slow left hand turn all the way up the ramp. Obviously the dead stop start and it being on a hill only made it worse. I've taken this ramp before, but not in this car. My old Yaris & Matrix never had much of an issue, but both had 5 speed manual transmissions.

Anticipating a problem I had the poor C floored beginning about a third of the way up the ramp. She gave me all she had though :)

20. frenzee

frenzee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Did you have passengers or just you? Weight makes a huge difference in this munchkin's performance.