1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dust into cabin - how?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet, May 26, 2022.

1. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I was driving my 2014 Gen 3 the other day on a dirt-and-rock/gravel country road. They had just been working on the road and it was dusty as hell. We generated a huge plume in back of us, even while driving slowly. Then I realized there was particulate dirt/dust inside the cabin with the fan/AC off. Hard to tell, but it almost looked like it was coming up from the footwell on the passenger side. Not loads but you could see it in the sunlight very clearly, floating up from the floor area.

It was an extraordinary situation for sure - when I got to my destination, the car looked as if it had been in Mad Max. Super fine dust was settled inside the doors (not past the gasket, but on the rocker panel area, inside the doors by the latches/hinges, et.) and even after I vacuumed it out, when you slammed the door a small cloud would come out!

Anyway, any idea where it might have been coming in? I popped the hood and paradoxically, the whole engine compartment was dust-free. I have no leaks (water) in the car that I know of.

2. bettergolf

bettergolf Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a cabin air filter located on the passenger side under the dash near the footwell. Perhaps that filter is missing? Or either it just doesn't do that great of a job.....

3. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd bet the cabin air filter is not there.
    Easy to change. The are about $10.00

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the filter is not 100% sealed, even if it is there. it's just a slide in loose fit.

and it is not a hepa filter, so dust sized particles will go right through it, depending on micron size.

5. 134HP Bard Womyn Magnet

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone. Filter is there (I put it in when I got the car) but that must be it. The dust was weapons-grade shit, but have just gotten through.

bisco likes this.
  6. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe the filter is not in correctly? Not seated right?
    If you are getting as much dust at you say, you might have a leak somewhere.
    They may not be "hepa" filters, but if you can see it, the will block it.