1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

DVD/Navigation radio upgrade Gen III, model III

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Waz, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Waz

Waz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey All,

I’m new to the forum and just recently purchase my 2010 Toyota Prius model III. I’m trying to determine which DVD/Navigation radio is best suited for my vehicle and my needs. It looks like the Rosen unit is very popular and a straightforward plug-n-play installation. Two concerns I have with any unit are: How does the radio compensate for the JBL amplifier that came with my Prius and I want to retain the usage of the steering wheel controls, but I’m not sure which units will do it and what additional equipment is needed. I’ll but honest and say I’m not too concerned with the navigation feature of the radio rather the DVD playback capability and clean integration of the radio. I’ve been driving a hybrid as a daily commuter for almost 10 years now and my previous vehicle (2001 Honda Insight) had an aftermarket DVD radio in it that I could watch while commuting. I know about the issues of driving with a front DVD player active but after the number of years and miles (250K) that I’ve been doing it with no accidents or ditch-dives I’d like to get it back in my life and my new car.

I found this unit online and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it or thoughts on it. I can’t post a link to it but if you goggle “autodvdgps†and select the 2010-toyota-prius-dvd-player-with-gps-navigation-system-and-digital-touchscreen-bt-ipod-swc item from their site you should be able to see the unit I’m looking at.

I’m open for suggestions and would like to get this upgrade made as soon as possible. Thanks for the help and the great resource board!

2. tarmac.pilot

tarmac.pilot New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just installed Rosen on model II w/o jbl. Its practically all plug and play except for one blue wire that gets grounded. Per manufacture if you connect to brake, it will not play video while driving but if you just ground the blue wire it will play while your moving. As for steering control, it all works great without the need of additional equipment. Hope this helps!

3. Waz

Waz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. Where can I buy one of these units and what should I expect the price to be? Also, does it come w/the iPod cable or is that an additional harness?