1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dying traction battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Al Bundy, May 21, 2018.

1. Al Bundy

Al Bundy Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had to replace my van's master cylinder last weekend.. was going to buy a brake line flare wrench at NAPA while I was there.. $18.00, went to harbor freight and got the set of 6 for $12 after the coupon.. most likely Ill never use them again... still cheaper then paying a shop for labor.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    cheap tools will hurt you. Learned that a long time ago.

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I see a case for both. If you use them much, the cheap ones break. And sometimes, if you use them once, they'll break. On the other hand, I know a contractor who only buys the cheapo power tools. He had discovered that, in the hands of his workers, the expensive ones didn't last any longer than the cheap ones. Sad.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Jerry,

Hello I know this is an old post now but wondering if you're still in the Tampa area and still have the Prolong charger possibly willing to loan to area members? I'm in the Apollo Beach area (just south of Tampa) with a 2012 Toyota Prius v we bought 4 years ago around 97k and now up around 197k showing signs of battery deterioration. Given the crazy new and used car prices these days (if you can even find inventory), I'd really like to try to keep this one running as long as we can! I understand I would need to first purchase and install the vehicle-specific harness as well if borrowing the tool might be a possibility?

Thanks for any help / guidance, I tried to PM but that didn't seem to be working...

5. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The PM has gone weird on PC. It seems to work for a few but not for most ... including me.

Yes, I still have it and still live in the same place. You're welcome to borrow the charger and discharger. Be aware that the discharger is the original primitive light bulb arrangement. It works but needs very close supervision to prevent discharging too much. If you want to go that way, let me know when you get your cable installed and we'll arrange something.

6. Mike Hill

Mike Hill Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks that is very kind of you! I've read up on their website about the bulb discharger and I don't mind babysitting it during the process if I can get some extra life out of what I've got now.

I went ahead and ordered the cable from hybrid automotive and will reach out when I get receive it and get it installed. Also since private messages don't seem to be working I'll drop my email address if you would rather go that way - mikehill at gmail.

Thanks again!

jerrymildred likes this.