1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dynamat Install

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by PunkShizzle, Dec 30, 2011.

1. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's like saying you shouldn't fix the big leak in your boat because then the smaller leaks will bother you.:D

1 person likes this.
  2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, it's true enough that Nissan made the headlights bulge (more than necessary to meet height regulations) in order to reduce the noise from deflection of air around the side mirrors.

I could never work in a library. They're far too noisy. :D

3. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I did install the plastic sheet again. :) Here is a door after the Dynamat install with the plastic back on.

[​IMG]

4. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Then don't ever go in an anechoic chamber, the sound of the blood flowing in your head will make you crazy:rockon:

5. DJ2010

DJ2010 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III

I ordered their products and have been very satisfied with the results so far. There is no reason to cover every exposed surface, this material deadens transmitted sound waves in the sheetmetal. So it is not necessary to add an extreme amount of weight to the vehicle. The amount of the dynamat type material that I ordered weighed about 20 lbs, and I have used a little more than half with great results. I did all four doors and also added the sound deadening foam sheet to the inner side of the doors before replacing the panels. I also did the rear cargo area. I have had a noticeable reduction in road noise, however the wind noise is still apparent at higher speeds, but I don't feel any dynamat type material can fix that. The sound from the speakers seems much richer and less cheap sounding as well. Banging your hand on the door panels went from a tin can sound to a thud. So when I was working around the cargo area I concentrated on areas that sounded like that tin can sound. I also placed a few small pieces on the hood under the insulation blanket which also quieted the hood down when you rapped on that with your hand. Still looking for more areas to add this material to that is easy enough to get to. Next area may be the roof panel if I can get the headliner down enough to slip some in there. Generally I worked with strips that were 1-4" wide and 4-8" long. It was well worth the effort in my opinion. :rockon: