1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dynamic cruise control vs. adaptive cruise control

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by rschlegel, Jul 16, 2019.

1. rschlegel

rschlegel Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How much better does the dynamic cruise control work on the new Prime vs. the adaptive cruise on the 2017 Prime?

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Aren't they the same thing???o_Oo_Oo_O

3. jb in NE

jb in NE Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I believe they are, but perhaps somebody has owned one of each and can comment on any differences.

4. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Honda Clarity ACC does more. It follows the car ahead to a fully stop. It will pick up the speed by itself from zero when it is moving again without you doing anything.

I have tried in my Prime but I need to push the gas pedal to resume unless I was not patient enough. I read somewhere now DRCC has full speed for select model which can do the same as Honda ACC.

5. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    To me, that just sounds like two companies choosing different acronyms, and slightly different feature sets, for what is fundamentally the same capability. So, if Toyota were to remove the requirement that we tap the gas after DRCC has taken the car to a stop, there wouldn’t likely change the name of that feature to ACC.

I presume that Toyota requires us to tap the gas as a perceived safety measure. That is, to protect against it crashing into the car ahead in the event that its radar somehow loses the car in from of it (which I have seen it do, strangely!).

6. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    You can also briefly lift the cruise control stalk (as if you wanted to increase the cruise control set speed), to get going again.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s the same thing. All Primes have full speed radar cruise control (so it goes down to 0).

Adaptive cruise control is the umbrella or generic name for this feature. Each company has their own name.

mr88cet likes this.
  8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yes, “Adaptive Cruise Control” is what we called it at my previous company, where we sold microcontrollers that Bosch, Continental, etc. used to implement such systems.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. NSXT

NSXT Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I still like the Honda ACC to a full stop then resume on its own (very nice on a highway traffic jam almost like an autopilot).

You could be right that Toyota to be more conservative for us to tap the gas to resume as a safety measure but they have revamped the new DRCC so it can resume by itself when it is cleared in select models only.

Toyota/Lexus are improving/adapting the standard. Like the new TSS 2.0, pretty sure 3.0 coming soon :LOL:... CarPlay/Android Auto...

When Honda implemented the first generation of ABS called it as ALB... battle of the naming standard :D

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Like AEB... there's PCS, PRE-SAFE, CMBS, FCW

11. PearlBlizzard

PearlBlizzard Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Just wanted to chime in that although the cruise control will slow the vehicle to a stop, it does so at the very last moment akin to an emergency stop when the driver is not putting on the brakes. Even when at the furthest distance setting, it fails to read the cars ahead speed. It will often accelerate in an attempt to bring the car to cruise speed, then brake heavy to slow down. Complete fail from Toyota. This speed and stop and speed and stop process contributes to greater traffic.