1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dynamic cruise so nice in traffic!

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Gen 2 Tom, Aug 7, 2016.

1. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tonight I got stuck in a bumper to bumper traffic leaving the state fair. I was on a single lane road with a few lights, for 10 miles. Occasionally I can get the cruise on under 30 MPH, (I'll explain the issue, now that I looked it up) so I gave it a try. Yep, it went right on, set for 28 MPH and didn't let me any closer than one car length. The speed went up and down perfectly following the car in front of me. We stopped only when the car in front of me stopped. Maybe a dozen times. A couple of the stops where on a steep uphill and downhill's. From what I can tell the car uses the brakes to hold the car at 0 speed, not the motors. When it goes to 0 speed the screen says waiting. To resume, you need to tap the accelerator. A little irritating, I wish there was a option to not require that or do it with a button on the steering wheel. It was so nice I almost didn't mind being in start and stop traffic for a half hour.

The 0 speed brake hold while on DCC is what we need in normal operation. Come on Toyota, it's only software.

So here's the secret about getting the DCC on under 30MPH. If there is no car in front of you, 400 feet detected by the radar, the DCC can't be set. But if your in traffic, and DCC detects a car in front of you, you can set, the desired speed to 28MPH. I don't know if then you can drop that set speed to less than 28. All this seams a bit strange. To me it sounds like different pieces and vintages of software were merged to make this work. I think the standard cruise control won't let you set it under 30 MPH. But obviously the DCC can run the car at any speed.

I haven't tried this but they say there is a standard cruise control mode. Hold the on button for 1.5 seconds.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  2. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, 28MPH (45km/hr) is as low as it will set if in traffic, and as long as you don't touch the brake or cancel it, it will remain set down to 0 (zero). It will resume though from 40km/hr (25MPH), seems crazy that it won't set at that speed.

As for 30MPH (50km/hr) for standard cruise, that is really annoying - my previous 3 cars would set at 40km/hr (25MPH) - FORD Focus and Fiesta and KIA Rio. It makes it useless in roadworks with a 40km/hr limit.

3. felixthekat

felixthekat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You also don't have to hit the accelerator to resume, you can just tap up on the cruise control stick to resume.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is. Push up on the CC stalk (RES.. which stands for resume) will do the same trick as tapping the accelerator.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a bit erratic - sometimes, I've just got to a complete stop and the car in front has taken off, and Samantha has taken off without my tapping accelerator or CC stalk, but it seems only if it's almost immediately. Or am I too impatient other times?

6. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks, Duh, the resume on the stick, I'll give it a try.

Yea, I notice that to. If your only stopped for a moment it might restart on it's own. I found myself watching the tires of the car in front of me. The Prius will resume with the smallest movement of the car in front of you.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's quite sensitive. But in terms of starting when you've already come to a complete stop (e.g. a traffic light), you'll have to wait a bit and give it some space before you press RES or tap the accelerator, otherwise the Prius won't move.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  8. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting. I was reading my manual again, and I'm curious why Toyota says DRCC is unsuitable for heavy traffic.

"Situations unsuitable for dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed
    range
    Do not use dynamic radar cruise control with full-speed range in any of the
    following situations.
    Doing so may result in inappropriate speed control and could cause an accident
    resulting in death or serious injury.
    ●Roads where there are pedestrians, cyclers, etc.
    ●In heavy traffic"

The reason I ask is because, if an accident were to occur in heavy traffic, and data from the car revealed to the insurance company/police that DRCC was in use at the time of the accident, would that specifically make the driver liable, given Toyota's instructions in the manual?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably because of the speed difference. The lowest speed you can set is 45 or 50km/h. If you're crawling at 5-10km/h and a gap suddenly appears, the car might try to accelerate up. (or it might try and cross an intersection even though the other side is full and you end up stuck in the middle when the light turns red and looking like an idiot).

Remember, the manual has to appeal to the lowest common denominator. As I've written in another thread on DRCC, it's up to you (the intelligent being) to figure out to best extract (exploit?) the feature to suit your situation. Doing so, you'll enjoy the feature more often because you're aware of its pros and cons and know when to expect it to work and know when to expect it to fumble and therefore you take over.

10. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Noted. So the driver would always be liable if any accident took place whilst DRCC was used in heavy traffic?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not a lawyer so I can't say for sure. But they'll probably use that line in defense.

12. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota has had full-speed/all-range DRCC for a while now (as far back as 2006/2007). I think the only reason why it brought it outside of Japan is that now it can augment it with ICS (where applicable). Yes, if you get the lower trims, DRCC doesn't include ICS but I think they've worked out the kinks and are able to get it to operate smoothly and smartly. In addition, it has a better camera now which supplements the radar unit.

The Gen 3 only had radar and no camera so it did basic vehicle-to-vehicle distance control but not much else.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  14. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've used DRCC a few times in closer traffic in the last week (not quite bumper-to-bumper, a little faster, traffic moving continually, but slowing and speeding), and she's done it excellently - the only worry is the guy behind. This afternoon I had a Mazda MX-5 who sat only a couple of metres behind at 60km/hr, Samantha slowed because the car in front suddenly did and I watched this idiot behind 2 or 3 times almost end up collecting me. After the 3rd time, he decided he'd sit back a bit. I've noticed a few times that when she slows down, traffic behind hasn't been prepared.

I guess in time, with more and more cars with DRCC (and total autonomy), drivers will need to be more careful and aware.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  15. Colin Jones

Colin Jones Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Business Edition
    I did a 1,500 mile road trip last month, and had lots of opportunities to use the DRCC - worked brilliantly almost all the time and I love it - also thought it was excellent for helping when overtaking on the motorway, as even when I do that little glance over the shoulder, I knew the car was still "watching" in front in case there was any sudden braking.

There were two things that were negatives, that I noticed:
    1. When a vehicle is turning off the motorway and you are following them, and they start to move onto the slip road, they often decelerate, which causes your car to decelerate much more than you would normally (as you'd be anticipating the road being clear). The DRCC however often would slow significantly to allow the vehicle in front to completely clear the lane, meaning I needed to intervene with the accelerator to avoid slowing down too much and annoying people behind me!

2. We had some very heavy rain with some really bad spray at car level and reducing visibility considerably. I noticed this caused problems for the DRCC, and the dashboard indicator wasn't showing a preceding vehicle, so obviously for whatever reason the sensors weren't seeing the leading vehicle - this somewhat scared me at a couple of points, when the car started accelerating rapidly towards the one in front - so much so I switched off DRCC during this particularly bad weather for a few miles. I expect once we'd got close enough it would have picked up the vehicle again, but didn't want to take the chance. In ordinary rain it worked fine, but these conditions it didn't like it.

alanclarkeau and Tideland Prius like this.
  16. raspy

raspy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Very interesting. According to the manual, DRCC is unsuitable for heavy rain, which you have proven.

Even staff at Toyota dealers are caught out by DRCC, as you can see from this new video. Watch what happens when he takes the exit ramp.

alanclarkeau and Colin Jones like this.
  17. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I've noticed that - but the stupid drivers here are even likely to start slowing in the driving lane, not the slip road, so I either move to the next lane if it looks like they are going to exit, or if that's not possible, I flick CANCEL and then RESUME again when I'm fairly sure it won't pick them up again.

I haven't had heavy rain yet - and it'll not snow here till the next ice-age.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    3rd option: Press the accelerator to maintain or slow the reduction of speed (close the distance) assuming you're far enough behind. But yes, your two options are the safer options.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  19. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The DRCC has it's little quirks, but when you understand them you can come up with some work arounds. Have you noticed DRCC unlike regular CC will maintain perfect speed on any downhill grade. It puts on the brakes. Just be careful moving down the set speed quickly, it will bring on hard braking. I had a little issue engaging it today. I was at 15 MPH with a car in front of me. So it set to 28MPH. With at least 1 car length in front, it braked hard when I set. The person in back of me, correctly seeing no reason why I would brake almost ran into the back of me.

I assume I am the last to learn there is a regular CC mode. Hold the on button for 1.5 seconds. There is a different icon on the screen for regular CC. There are times when traffic is light and I don't need to have the car slowing for traffic.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This might be one of the reasons why the manual says not to use DRCC in heavy traffic. (There was a discussion earlier in this thread)

alanclarkeau likes this.