1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dynamic Radar Cruise Control on 2022 Prius: Problem

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Rapher, Jul 1, 2022.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we need full self driving cars, with positronic brains

2. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Either that or brains installed in the operators of the vehicles we now have. :) :) ;)

bisco likes this.
  3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Humm, I don't think that "feature" you described is not on my 2021 PP. I am pretty sure of this, but I have to check it. I wonder if this is something new to the 2022 Gen4 model? Is this "feature" described in the manual?

#23 Salamander_King, Jul 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2022
    Doug McC likes this.
  4. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    There is a section of I-88 near me that under the right conditions (windy day with wind gusts from the correct direction) LTA will wear me out as it hunts for the correct lane position. I am thankful for that little switch on the steering wheel that tells it to take a nap. :)

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Owner's Manuals usually have some cautions, about when NOT to use cruise control (any cruise control, not necessarily radar cruise). They mention factors like congested traffic, winding roads, night time.

I would think if you're considering passing, it's time to disable cruise, too many variables could arise.

Doug McC likes this.
  6. Doug McC

Doug McC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Another responsible driver!!! There’s still hope! :)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Now that I've driven for a week and payed more attention, I use some techniques that may prevent this unintended acceleration (remember those words from the past?) For me, the usual scenario where this might happen is when I am in the left lane passing a vehicle and another vehicle moving faster approaches me from behind. I will complete my pass and change lanes to the right to allow the faster vehicle to pass. If there is a vehicle ahead of me now, the DRCC will slow my vehicle and adjust the spacing to my preset following distance. While I am waiting for the left lane vehicle to pass, I usually tap the cruise control speed down to near the speed I am traveling. The cruise control speed shown on the DRCC graphic will be highlighted in a white box until it is within 2 mph of the present vehicle speed. Then, when the left lane is clear, I change lanes without experiencing much acceleration and then tap the cruise control speed up to where it was before and continue on. I adopted this procedure to eliminate that acceleration which I felt was unsafe. The amount of acceleration may also vary depending on what driving mode you have selected, ECO Mode, Normal, or PWR (power) Mode. I haven't confirmed this though.

8. dacoobob

dacoobob Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    that seems like a lot of hassle compared to just passing manually but if it makes you happy then great

AzWxGuy likes this.
  9. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I take all of these actions without even thinking about it. I'm just another cautious predictable driver out there.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Doug McC likes this.