1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

e-4WD?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by iplug, Sep 15, 2015.

1. CoolPrius

CoolPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've put a couple thousand miles on my 18 Rav4 Hybrid SE. The hybrid AWD system works seamlessly. We have mild weather here so I can't comment on any off-road capabilities. My brief take away points would be + weight (+ freeway stability), + traction, + boost of performance (not highway speeds), - mpg and maybe - handling. I'm sure the 19 Rav4 Hybrid with TNGA and new gen hybrid system will offer improvements overall.

All that being said, I'm going to switch back to a 4G Prius next year for my commuter car. Would be cool if we could order a Prius with AWD or a Hybrid Rav with FWD though.

krmcg likes this.
  2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Last I checked, the Prius' e-4WD rear motor is much weaker than the ones found on the R4h or HiHy, so it may not be that useful. Or, IOW, North American consumers expect more out of their AWD system and this appears to be a "lite" version.

I'm ok with Toyota experimenting in Japan and sending us the improved version later down the road :)

RCO, krmcg and alanclarkeau like this.
  3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I did the math on this.

It's very weak in a power sense (5.something kW) and only active below 31mph. It's for getting unstuck from the snow or ice.

But with the gear ratio, it could apply more than enough force for that purpose.

If you think of it like a dual-motor version of a Tesla (way faster 0-60 times), then yes. If you think of it as a bad weather don't-get-stuck device, it's fine the way it is.

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can, or could get a FWD-only RAV 4 hybrid in UK.

#184 RCO, Jul 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
    CoolPrius and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. CamryDriver

CamryDriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like the 4wd Prius is available stateside. I've got a Ridgeline with a light duty all wheel drive system that is NOT well suited for off road duty, however it works magnificently on the road in the snow. I expect the 4wd Prius to be similar in that regard. Sounds like a great option for folks who live in snowy places.

6. stephensprius

stephensprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I am very interested in reading more about the awd system in the new Prius. I love the Prius and my wife drives a 2013 that’s been fantastic to us. We live in a very snowy place (Minneapolis) and we just got nailed with almost 6” in one day! Happens frequently. Snow plows are out often, but there are times where you need to drive on unplowed roads, especially in the burbs. I just wonder with the short clearances of the Prius, how will awd assist? I hope there are lots of different tests people do when it comes out.

7. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A Prius is a bit low to the ground . Something near 5 inches or so.

5.3 inches on the e-4wd according to Car and Driver.

#187 CamryDriver, Feb 12, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  8. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    yep, so it's about a foot less than my crv. or most typical crossovers.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Meh, 3~4 inches.

10. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Say what? Unless you added a liftkit to your CR-V, it's not a foot taller in ground clearance. Depending on model year, it ranges from about 6" to just over 8". (8.2 I think?). Forester/Outbacks are around 8.7". A typical midsize sedan is around 5.5".

11. Lightning Racer

Lightning Racer Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I see the main benefit being going up steep slopes in slippery conditions, not plowing through deep snow. The roads are plowed quickly where I live anyway. Steep driveways are fairly common situation, since they are often steeper than the steepest roads. My driveway slopes down from the road to my garage - not that steep, but enough to be a problem backing out when it turns to ice. My girlfriend's long, curving driveway goes up pretty steeply from the road. I needed several attempt to get up it when covered with 2 inches of fresh snow in my Prius with new Nokian WR G4s, while my girlfriend's AWD Sienna with all season tires made it up fine. When her driveway iced up, I couldn't make it up at all, and needed to dig it out when it slid off kilter backwards into the snowbank.

I've had other instances of driving up steep roads in my Prius and realizing that I'm slowing down due to lack of traction as the road got steeper until it is totally stopped. It's a very sketchy situation because if you try to continue, the tires will keep slipping, and you will lose steering control as you start sliding backwards and end up in the ditch (or cliff if you happen to be on the wrong part of the road). My way out one time was to slowly back down until it got less steep, then back into a side road to turn around and go back down.

AWD-e sounds perfect for exactly what I need AWD for. The speed and power limitations don't matter for the situations that I envision needing AWD.

CamryDriver likes this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The AWD Prius with good snow tires would be even better. Still, deep snow could catch you.

13. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  14. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Being from Minnesota, I am certainly interested in the traction capabilities of the AWD-E Prius. However, I've also read that the rear motor can give a bit of a 'boost' when accelerating from a stop. The articles I read were pretty subjective though. Is there anything conclusive on the existence of a 'boost on acceleration' using the rear motor? if so, this would be fantastic.

BTW - Even without AWD, our Prius vehicles are the best we have in our fleet for snowy conditions. I'm not sure why...but they just feel good and 'under control' in the snow. Lots of people think I'm crazy when I say that though. :D

stephensprius likes this.
  15. CamryDriver

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The motor is said to be 7hp/40ftlbs which isn't going to be much of a boost.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s always AWD when starting from a stop. It’ll disengage at 7mph or as necessary above 7mph.

17. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Where in Minnesota are you living?

18. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Here's a taste of St. Paul last year. And since I didn't recharge, it's pretty much the experience you'd have with any gen-4 Prius. The driving in snow is fine with good all-season tires. Having power to the rear wheels could be nice though...

19. stephensprius

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I liked your video. That snow though was mostly plowed. In suburbs of Minneapolis, sometimes it takes a whole day to have plows come through and clean up streets. I’m just saying it’s not s perfect car for Minnesota winter. Awd and ride clearance do help with heavy snow and unplowed roads. Wouldn’t you agree?

20. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    Rochester. However, I grew up in St Louis Park.

And although AWD is a 'nice to have', I have never had it...ever. In fact, back in the day I drove rear wheel drive vehicles. It was fun! (y)

stephensprius likes this.