1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

E-brake light out, cruise control stuck

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tomek310, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi guys. I have 06 prius that has some issues with the E-brake light not coming on when the E-brake is pressed. The light only comes on for a second when car is started but goes off until started again. I'm not sure if it's related but my cruise control works half the time. Sometimes it gets stuck and won't turn off. Most of the time it won't turn on. Please help.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    There's a switch at the parking brake pedal. I'd check that first. If it's mounted and adjusted correctly with no mechanical damage, disconnect it and use an ohmmeter to see if it's closing when the brake pedal is depressed.

Do all your steering wheel buttons work? Particularly the A/C recirc mode?

Does the cruise ever stay on when you press the brakes? I hope not.

3. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Andrew. I have noticed a black switch that is just dangling behind the brake pedal. But when I press it the light still does not come on. Perhaps the switch is bad. How can I check if the switch is bad? I'm green when it comes to electrical stuff.

As far as cruise control goes, the CC system won't turn on most of the time. The only time it turns on sometimes it right at the start. I have noticed that it freezes after being turned on for a while and I can't turn it off. The car drives normally. I wonder if these two issues are related.

4. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The dangling switch is probably broken and should be replaced. An ohmmeter can be used to test it, as I mentioned above. There are probably simple instructions for general meter use on YouTube if needed.

Intermittent CC is often caused by a bad cable in the steering column, but that's usually preceded by other steering wheel switches failing, hence my earlier question about that. But that cable would not cause the CC to stay on. Something else is going on. A bad brake switch should never allow the CC to turn on, so that's probably not it either.

But the brake switch needs to be fixed anyway and that just might fix it, and it's cheap, so try that first.

5. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have ordered a new (used) parking lever assembly off ebay for $30. Will update on results.

6. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok. So I got a used pedal with switch off of 04 prius. After plugging it in I noticed I'm still not getting the brake light when the pedal is pressed. I have to see if I'm getting voltage from the harness. I hope it's not the harness.

7. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The parking brake switch "reports" to the skid control ECU, and one terminal is grounded. The easiest thing to do would be to check the ground connection with a continuity tester, then check the continuity of the wire to the ECU--that gets a little more involved.

8. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think I found the problem but am not certain. The switch itself is not attached to the brake assembly. With that being said it is not grounded properly. I'm going to take care of it tomorrow hopefully.

9. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Got a replacement E-brake off ebay for $30. The switch felt better on the part from ebay so I cleaned and lubed the spring and swapped the assemblies. The E-brake works fine now. I'm stuck with the CC issue though. I think it's either the stalk or the clock spring. So to eliminate one of these I took the stalk out and when I took it apart I've noticed this white grease on the switch contacts. Is that normal?

10. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  11. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Rather than take sealed parts apart, you might want to invest in a continuity tester or ohmmeter and learn how to use it.

A factory wiring diagram helps tons, too, and one is available in the "Library" section here.

After you determine a switch is not making contact, you can then try spraying in some contact cleaner, or decide to take it apart.

Generally the spiral cable fault will manifest itself with A/C functions first, for me it was the recirc button. And it would work when the wheel turned 45 degrees.

12. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did check continuity on the switch and it seems to work fine. Would you think it's the clock spring?

13. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Next thing to do would be a continuity check on the clockspring.

14. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds good. Would you know what terminals to check? I have already ordered one for $16 shipped with 5yr warranty.

15. andrewclaus

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    No, you'll have to trace them from the cruise switch. It's only two wires, and according to my diagram they'll be green and red within the steering wheel.

16. Tomek310

Tomek310 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, so one of the CC pins wasn't checking for continuity. Replaced the clock spring and it works fine so far.

valde3 and andrewclaus like this.