1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured E15 May be Coming to a station near you

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by wjtracy, Aug 27, 2018.

1. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Meh...

15% has become quite prominent around here lately with all the new pumps being installed that can use the "chip" on a credit/debit card. We've had it - but it was always on the corner of the gas station out there with the Diesel pump. Now, it's on all the pumps. I ran it by accident just a couple weeks back and had my best tank ever. (filled up with the last bar flashing) which is absolutely not supposed to happen, so I'm going to run a few more tanks of it to see if the mpg's remain the same.

Unless I'm mistaken, didn't the Fed's mandate way back in 2001 that all vehicles must be able to run 15%? Oh, here's a pic of the pumps that are showing up around here. (Borrowed pic from another members thread - but it's the exact pumps wen are seeing here)

wjtracy and bwilson4web like this.
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes I am unclear about current status of E15.
    Apparently it is available in some areas in some times of year. Trump would apparently like to allow freedom of selling E15 all areas, all times of the year, with the issue being it creates extra smog precursors (evap emissions). But motorists do not have to use it, they can stick to E10 if desired.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked my owner's manual and it says use no higher than 15%, so I'm ok. ;)

dubit likes this.
  4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The extra ethanol likely cleaned out your fuel system for the improvement.

The E15 compatiable Camry only arrived a few years ago. Plenty of cars on the road that shouldn't be running it. Fine if E15 is a choice, but when the EPA first raised the E15 question because of the blend wall, it was to replace E10 with it.

The only flex fuel station I know off is in the center of Philly. Gas stations here would have to upgrade to offer E15 as a choice, and the price will be higher because of shipping fees.

5. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK today I am starting to see anti-E15 adds, which indicates my OP was topical ( I had thought maybe it was not true).

6. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    From what I read, 2007 and newer must be able to burn it due to the Fed's mandating it. Apparently it can also be burned in vehicles as old as 2001. But I doubt a manufacturers warranty would cover it. Older than 2001 - burn the old 10% blend. Personally I don't really see a problem with 15% as it really hasn't seemed to affect my mpg's and it's about a dime cheaper per gallon.

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EPA approved E15 for cars in 2001. This is not an okay for manufacturers, and you ran E15 in an E10 car at your own risk.
    2007 might be when it was mandated new cars should be able to run it, but it isn't the date by which the manufacturers had to comply. Of the non-flex-fuel model cars for MY 2015, only 63% were okayed by their manufacturer for E15.
    Automakers Approve E15 For Use in Two-Thirds of New Vehicles – Renewable Fuels Association

Shipping costs to get ethanol to states outside the Midwest could make E15 cost more.

8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Scare tactics without substance.

Sounds about right.

dubit likes this.