1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

E30 gasoline

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 007, Apr 5, 2011.

1. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :confused: His first response in this thread was aimed at another poster's 'the government' comment, not at you. I see no disparagement from him prior to you firing at him.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Fuzzy I started with the hope he was innocently confused by something he read. 30% Ethanol is far enough from E0 that no engine can be optimized for both, yet unimpressive for a fuel that cannot be used in the same mapping as E0.

Sadly he had no source data to be confused by.

It turns out his confusion is solely why picking E30 out of thin air was so obviously wrong.

It does not matter, a troll from Canada can still have the E0 folks blaming the US government for their state laws and using this sourceless troll as 'proof' that the EPA is out to destroy their lawnmowers.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The last time I skimmed through the test protocols, about the start of this century, manufacturers could test with just about any fuel blend they desired. The EPA provided a formula to translate the test results back to a standardized non-oxygenated gasoline. At that time, just about all U.S. drivers could get straight gas at least part of the year.

As Jimbo points out, CAFE rules are tied to that old fuel, which some people can still acquire.

Note also that EPA stickers are discounted from the actual test results, due to American's inability to drive for fuel economy. That discount has been increased several times, now totaling nearly 30% with the 2008 label changes. In comparison, the 3% energy difference between E0 and E10 gets lost in the noise.

The 2010 Prius CAFE rating is above 70 mpg. And I have beat that, at least on the slightly inflated MID display.

4. 007

007 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Fuzzy1....
    I think I'm beginning to understand his problem, and if I misunderstood his remarks about his american government, that were directed to someone else, then that's my fault. I was simply asking a question about E30 fuel if it was safe for a Prius, I thought it was safe and okay to ask a question here. I did not mention anything about US government policy, the article I read was from a Canadian newspaper, naturally about proposed use of that type of fuel, the good and bad of it, that's all.
    I did get helpful and courteous replies from a few members here which is great.
    the posters problem might be because I'm Canadian as he mentions "being from Canada" a couple of times in his responses to me.
    he quotes:
    "[FONT=&quot]I am sad that newspapers in Canada have no names or dates on the paper"
    "[/FONT]It does not matter, a troll from Canada can still have the E0 folks blaming the US government"

So, after some comments like that one tends to wonder if he has a problem with us Canadians?

Anyway, I'm not wasting any further time on him, I know he'll rant on about a troll from Canada, :blah:but that's okay, let's get back to talking about our favorite subject, the Prius!!:focus:

by the way, I'm counting the hours now not days anymore.....I'll be picking up my Blizzard Pearl tomorrow morning at 830am....whoo-hoo...then I'll get some pics too.:D

5. tonyrenier

tonyrenier I grew up, but it's still red!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Can you feed people too?

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So well in fact that some state governments are considering an additional "fee" for overweight people on the medical dole....

Feeding people does not seem to be much of a problem here in America....:rolleyes:

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Toyota "does not recommend" using more than 15% ethyl alcohol in the Prius fuel, as advised above. Some have used E85 "with no bad effects". ymmv. I see about a 5% drop in mileage using "up to 10% ethyl alcohol" fuel (Husky/Mohawk).

Ethyl, isopropyl, and methyl alcohol will "dry out" rubber parts, and the effect is worse in the later alcohols listed. In other words, I listed them in order of "best to use". Isopropyl is usually used in gasline antifreeze and for getting rid of water in fuel tanks. Only because they can't sell ethyl alcohol for that purpose as people would drink it! Methyl alcohol produces toxic exhaust gas'.

Benefits of ethanol include a cleaner engine, no water buildup in the fuel system, and it smells nicer when burning. ;)

Drawbacks are slightly lower mileage and the -possibility- of the gas station fuel tank rotting through and you getting water, rust, and other junk in your fuel tank. Most of this has been solved by now.

In Canada, fuel costs are the same for ethanol and standard gasoline. Husky/Mohawk ethanol is made from wheat. Usually the wheat that has been damaged by weather or poor storage, and is therefore not suitable for feed or human consumption. What they use is controlled by cost, of course.

Adding ethyl alcohol to gasoline usually raises the octane rating a bit (not important for a Prius).
    It also stabilizes the fuel and it can sit for longer, contrary to a post above. Provided, of coarse, you keep water out.

There sure are a lot of strong opinions on use of ethyl alcohol as a fuel!

8. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We Americans are good like that.
    It's more of a freedom thing...:D

Interestingly enough, Alky-haul is only mandated in 10 states...and yet it's getting harder and harder to find E0. :confused:
    Some stations have large signs stating that their gas has no alcohol---to attract those who believe the FUD with E10...and there are many, and i mean many folks in the motorcycle community who buy into the notion that E10 will wreck their motors. In fact.....one of the last times I was pumping gas into my V-Rod, I had a guy tell me that it was going to rust the heck out of my gas tank!
    I politely informed him that my fuel tank is made of plastic.... :)

It's a pretty hot button topic here as well.