1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eagle County, CO New Prius Fleet-Employee concern, getting hit from behind & battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by hb06, Mar 14, 2007.

1. hb06

hb06 Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    "I wonder what would happen in an accident, especially with the battery being in the trunk of the car,†Preytis said. “They are small and if it gets hit by any of the large trucks or huge SUVs on the road, that could be really bad.â€

"How safe it is to have the battery in the trunk of the car was cause for concern among other finance department employees."

"Their worries are not completely unfounded, said Steve Zeder from Big Horn Toyota, the dealership that won the bid to provide the 20 Priuses."

“If the battery of the Prius is damaged in an accident, emergency crews need to be aware the battery is hazardous material,†Zeder said. “That is the same for any other car, but it is probably more likely to be a factor with the Prius because being hit from behind on the rear side is more common.â€

Updated link 3/15/07
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17610769/

2. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is just stupid.

In an accident, I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about that eleven gallons of highly flammable, explosively combustible liquid in the gas tank rather than the battery. Just based on how far it can move your car it has to contain over 100x more energy than the battery.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusenvy @ Mar 14 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]405463[/snapback]</div>
    A bit more. A gallon of gasoline has about 35 kWh (123 MJ) of energy stored up in it. Of course, a typical ICE wastes about 80% of that energy as heat and still gets a ways down the road on a full tank.

I'd be much more worried about getting killing in a roll over in an SUV and getting roasted by the battery in a Prius. Esp in CO where SUVs litter the highway during a good snow storm and quite a few of them roll.

4. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Based on some real world experience by PC members I don't think anyone has to worry about exploding batteries in an accident.

However, one does need to be careful not to knock over the burning Sterno cans when driving through the convenience store. ;)

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  6. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi All,

I may be wrong on this, but I though the first use of fuel bladders was in Vietnam error American Helicopters. The bladers would not burst open with impact into the ground. Giving the crew a chance at surviving. Later, these bladders were mandated for many car racing series.

The Prius fuel bladder, and location of the tank ahead of the rear axle would make it very safe in a rear impact.

The Prius battery has a ground fault interupter (just like your bathroom should have), which isolates the battery in the metal box, if there is any current flowing to chasis. So, a cut feed wire will instantly disconnect the battery from the feed cables.

The most hazardous thing in the back of a Prius may be the auxiliary lead-acid battery. Its located all the way back and outboard. It has reasonable current capacity to cause some smoke.

7. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Self sealing fuel tanks were used in WWII, many US aircraft had them. Most other did not.

Self sealing fuel tanks are nothing more then fuel bladers mounted inside a tank.

Only the bladers were made up of diffrent layers that when exposed to gas and each
    other bonded back together.

8. CraigCSJ

CraigCSJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "How safe it is to have the battery in the trunk of the car was cause for concern among other finance department employees."

I was in my Prius, stopped at a light. A small truck hit me from behind, no skid marks and witnesses estimated the speed at around 50 mph. My Prius was totalled, as it hit a car in front after the original rear impact. The large battery wasn't close to being damaged. There is a crush zone for what seems like about one foot, then stiffer. I wasn't injured, and any concern about the large battery in a crash should evaporate after this "test".

CraigCSJ

9. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    With all of the Prius' running around, this issue would have become a concern real quick if it had any basis.

In addition to the energy content of the battery being very limited, it is a solid pack with no liquid acids involved.

There is no basis for concern here.

10. Texas911

Texas911 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    When I got my Prius, my friends came up with all sorts of misinformed questions about it. Like how long do I plug it in at night. But one of them said that I'd better not get in an accident because the EMS will not go near a wrecked Prius because they feared being electrocuted! Man, who perpetuates all this nonsense? I asked him how the EMS felt about entering a car with explosive gasoline, and he just shut up.

11. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ha Ha Ha, thats funny that this post was made. We just got a fax from our Denver office like last week on the increased hazards of extracating a person involved in a severe crash with a Hybrid. they also mentioned the higher chance of us having to call out HazMat. I mentioned to my fellow dispatchers that it would have to be one HELL of a crash probably involving more than one Hybrid to cause a higher risk for our Troopers, not to mention having us call out out a HazMat team.

I feel comfortable in the Prius. If there was a chance of the battery becoming a hazard in a crash(an obviously hard hit from any angle) I would definately be dead no matter what car I was driving Hybrid or Not.

12. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Hey, TomorrowMatters, check out Toyota's Material Distribution Center. There are complete ERG manuals there for all of Toyota's alternative fuel cars, including Fuel Cell Hybrid, Rav4 EV, and CNG Camry.

The Dismanteling Manuals are interesting too.

13. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Mar 19 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]408523[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks, thats good info that we should know.

14. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's getting more and more tempting to print out a bunch of the
    ERGs and go around to the local town police/fire/rescue departments
    and drop them off and just make sure they *know* how little hazard
    a hybrid's battery presents. In the Prius, it's mounted between the
    wheels and has several chassis stiffening members that use the
    battery box as part of the structure. If the box does get dented
    far enough to hit the battery contacts [unlikely, as we've seen]
    then it's all self-contained in a steel shell with the relays to
    the outside world electrically cut off and the worst that happens
    is a little plastic gets burned up inside the case.
    Preaching to the choir here, certainly, but please consider the idea
    of getting the word out amongst your own local responders. I'm
    sure Toyota wouldn't object in the slightest.
    _H*