1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Earthships

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by 2007blueprius, Jan 3, 2014.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nice drawings. needless to say, i'm intrigued. what are lot prices like in your area? unfortunately, land is so scarce around here, people buy $800,000. houses, tear them down and build $2,000,000. houses.

2. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am building in the boonies. forget the city had enough of it, and those numbers are retarded, no one needs that much debt for a house, it's madness at its modern finest and part of the reason things are not doing so well, that is what happens when you make unrealistic dreams a reality, can you imagine the heating bill in one of those houses you speak of, bet that alone is more than my total living expense, only doctors can aford one but they have to make outrageus wages therefore healthcare is not available to everyone, so what is the solution = insurence so now the shareholders can afford these houses, I could go on forever I am so disgusted with modern living standards I don't even wish to waist my breath anymore
    This whole project is supposed to be cheap, simple and recyclable so I can finish it in a few years and live the rest of my life for a change, the poles are $1/foot at the local DTE pole yard, used telephone poles, lumber I have, my lots are wooded just need a mill and I am good at making things happen, the insulation I can source EPS for nothing, might get paid to haul it away, there are these fancy table grapes in the fall we handle they come in styrofoam boxex aprox 12X18X6 they go to the dump once the product reached it's destination, go to the boston produce market in the fall there are tons of this stuff dumpsters overfill with it, the glass one of my drivers had the idea of keeping an eye on any skyscrapers going down, Vegas is a good one, and when that happens send him out there with a load and he'll bring the glass back, this project will take a minute but the general idea is to be superefficient from the start including materials, Idealy the final cost will be tools ( loader back hoe, saw mill etc ) plus labour and that is it
    and if I pull it off won't cost a small fortune to heat and it will have plenty of natural light, part of the reason I started such a thread was to spread the word, maybe get some advice along the way, there may be a prius owning architect on here or maybe a building inspector to go over the drawings

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'm surprised you haven't gotten more action. i wonder what all the earth house people drive?

4. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    where I grew up adobe was pretty much the norm, really simple yellow dirt, staw and horse $hit ( no joke ) walls were loadbearing, grandma built the house I grew up in by herself while gandpa got drafted in the war, this is the same thing on steroids, her house was simple she only had 1st grades education, and what is stopping me? got too much of an education I guess I learned how to own a house without building it.
    I love what I see about rammed earth do a google search look at pictures, it's beautifull, in my younger years I worked construction, when the money was right my boss would do something simmilar for the bathrooms as a layer over the green board 30 shovels sand half bag cement half bag lime, very light weight and watter proof done many fancy showers this way in those 2mil houses, whenever the owner was a cheap a$$ we did sheatrock and liquid nails, the homedepot stuff same $hit you see on all those homeimprovement shows in those fancy houses, I took several such jobs apart due to water damage, only once took down one of those sand and lime walls in a historical house dam thing was hundreds of years old and beautifull, the new owners wife saw some ceramic tile she liked at homedepot, we glued it to the greenboard directly she was that cheap. what can I say, I honestly see no value at all in any subdivision, michigan or masachusetts.

5. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really like the concept of structures that produce more energy than they consume. Sadly, efficiency is not something most people consider as a priority. At least, not enough to override other considerations like location and looks. Even the less conventional architecture tends to be more about form than function. As a teenager, I was fascinated by geodesic domes, and built several models out of various materials. Earth-sheltered structures seem like a no-brainer, but the idea seems to have gone from one of those futuristic concepts in Popular Mechanics to a silly hippy thing. My brother in law's an architect, and he tolerates my wild ideas to a point, but insists there's no demand for them. Part of the problem, it seems to me, is that the developer cares only about making money, and nothing about the long term energy costs of the structure. Applying the concept of Total Cost of Ownership to a house, like we do for cars, would make for a very different urban landscape.

2007blueprius likes this.
  7. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Enough with the underground allready, even true earth ships have the floor at grade level, I guess beaming them from 3sides may create that impression, my drawing also has the floor at grade, I could sink it 4 feet like a Hal f basement but with 12 feet of window to the south could hardly call it such.
    Building underground such as a basement for example is a waterproofing nightmare, I looked into it and incorporated some similar drain system just to be safe but a quick look on youtube at basement leak repair will turn you away from that idea

8. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most people can't wrap their head around the concept and those that do often take it to the other extreme, I'm looking for a middle of the road solution,
    You could have not said it better, watched a grand design video last night about one of those "Eco buildings" in Australia the reporter asked why point it to the west kind of defies the point, answer but west has the view, we'll just have to compromise and work around that, needless to say there was nothing else of value to learn from it, lots of concrete, steel an outrageous underground pool million dollar budget which they blew.

There is nothing logical about any house going up these days most architects act like 5year olds with Legos or girls with doll houses, just build it bigger Add 6 more bathrooms that kind of stuff

George

9. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, of course, the house has to 'face' the street....there's no special reason the big sloped glass side has to face South, is there? :rolleyes:

Agreed, something totally underground has other issues, but it depends on the climate. In very hot and dry areas, such as parts of Australia, they seem to work just fine, and are far more comfortable and efficient than anything above ground would be. But earth-sheltered, say dug into a hillside, should work in lots of places. Even adding a basement or crawl space to a home in say, Arizona would take advantage of cooler thermal mass and reduce the energy use considerably.

Ultimately, a home is just a place to keep all your stuff. They've evolved - or perhaps devolved - far past shelter into ostentatious symbols of wealth and mass consumption, that take a lifetime's work to pay for. By the time the kids are grown, you've got far more space than you know what to do with, and the maintenance can be a significant burden, both physically and financially.

I've spent up to two months at a time living on my bicycle, and I really like the lifestyle. Obviously it doesn't work for raising a family, but the simplicity and freedom are very appealing. If and when I retire, and when I no longer have familial responsibilities, I can see myself living on a sailboat quite happily.

10. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the same concept, the structure itself may push 2000 sqft at the end but half of it is buffer zones, the actual livingspace is only 6 rooms 11x11, I too noticed how modern housing evolved well beyond shelter, there is no reason for a heated garage for example, or large walk in closets, wife usually binns the off season clothing and stores it in the barn, or 6 and a half baths, all the glass facing the street whichever that may fall.

The lot I plan to buil on the street would be due west of the house, I have another one on that the street would be due north, I simply do not care they can stare at my north wall with no windows from the street, looks are in the eye of the beholder and to me something that works looks much better.

these days homes are large enough for children not to have a reason to go outside anymore, further the reason I wish to build in the woods so my boy can go throw rocs at critters or something

11. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's good to see you're looking further afield for more ideas. There's an amazing variety of skills and interests here, but not many architects that I know of.

I can envision lots of earth-friendly technology being utilised: Solar heating, both passive and active, geothermal.....and you can do it simply and cheaply. Angling the roof glass to match your latitude is obvious, as is a small sunroom that gets too hot sometimes, but heats the rest of the house. Geothermal's really just big hole in the ground, and you could power the pump with a windmill or a bicycle if you wanted to.

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    New Mexico is NOT Michigan. I am a green building consultant, and one mantra I repeat over and over is, green building is location specific. If you are interested in a low energy building, I recommend that you look into Passivhaus (passive house). Earthships are a very interesting building method, but they have unique disadvantages as well. They appear to work well in NM climate, not so well in some other climates. They are also a home-owner built style, if you are going to have someone else build one for you, there are much better options. I highly recommend getting a competent energy model of the house for your climate.

I would love to have a conversation on this subject with you. We can continue here, or talk offline.

13. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have done an energy model on a rammed earth house. Some things to keep in mind. You need insulation, at least R-30 I would guess, easiest is to sandwich it in the walls (but there are other options). Any other insulation should be inline with it, i.e. windows should be in the middle of the wall, basement insulation should be lined up as well.

Radiant floors are a nice heat distribution method, but don't listen to the hype about toasty warm floors. If you have a well insulated house, the floors will never get warm enough that a tile radiantly heated floor is warmer (as sensed by your bare feet) than a unheated wood floor.

14. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you know your stuff I'd love to get an insight on what you know, no need to worru about windowas there wont be none, the walls the way I drew them so far add up to about 70R, 30R under the floor, it wont be radiant heat floor but same concept, the south wall is all glass, floor is supposed to harness the sunlight. look it up, watch that video in first post

George

15. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    An entire South wall completely of glass will present a possible overheating problem. This is where a energy modeling would be handy. Many passive solar houses built in the 70s had problems with getting too hot. R-70 walls and ceiling and R-30 floor is going to have a very small heat loss, and you should know what that number IS, before you decide how much glass you want to have. A rule of thumb (which is something I hesitate to mention, since it can so easily be inappropriate), is for 10% of the floor area in south window area.

16. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    seriously I can tell you know a thing or 2 but we are not talking about the same thing here, have a look at some of the videos posted early on, look up Earthship, what I am trying to accomplish is rather simmilar but more so geared for the north.
    forget the 10 % that is for conventional passive sollar design, I call that a ranch with a south window, this is different, I'll have more glass than floor, half the house is supposed to be a buffer zone the summer sun wont reach the living area, cooling tubes, convection engine, look at the drawings the roof pitch is winter solstice and the summers is outlined too, reflective drapes go without saying
    fyi the roof I am planning 4 ft thick solid foam at say 5r /inch

17. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    And you will roast. In February. Really. I am deadly serious when I say, if you don't have actual numbers for the heat gain and heat loss, you will end up with an uninhabitable structure. Balance is the key. Which means knowing the heat loss through the walls etc, matching the solar gain to that, then matching the thermal storage to that. Starting with the specs is exactly backwards. Here is a rough estimation guide: 1 Watt of heat loss per square foot of floor area (passivhaus level insulation). 1,000 Watts of solar heat gain per square meter of south facing (latitude angled) glass at peak sun.

4 feet of foam is silly, for example. Heat loss through an R-240 roof is roughly 25 BTUs of heat loss per year, 750 BTUs for the life of the mortgage. That last inch of foam requires 4,500 BTUs to make! You are putting more energy into the structure than it will EVER save.

Have a look at this online calculator I wrote: Optimal Insulation Calculator - Green Fret Consulting It will tell you, for your situation, what the optimal (cost wise) amount of insulation you should have. You could also adapt it to finding an energy optimal solution as well by using BTUs of embodied energy in place of prices.

18. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I do apreciate you getting involved, to answear some of your concerns.
    the reason I am so generous with the foam is because I have a sourse for it may even get paid to haul it away :LOL: that in itself is debatable, since it is not made for this purpose, but I rreconed for the roof it will be fine, underground and in rammed earth walls may be questionable,
    you did noticed I'm in Michigan? roasting in Februarry with no fuel sounds real good, highly unlikely thou, I believe average sunshine per day is 3 hours, as for the summer the south side of the house in the original Earthship design it's acctually a gray water greenhouse, I am sure the plants have something to do with the temperature controll, I havent explored that much, the green house is ment to get hot in the summer, shades can controll that and effectively cut down the fenestration, as the air stratifies in the greenhouse it tends to rise and escape out the roof vents drawing from the livingspace through the deep underground tubes,
    granted I exagerated my design compared to what they do for earthships and that was a concern, one of my first questions was why the low roof pitch, I drew mine at winter soltice so the back walls can get blasted.
    I don't have a clue as to how to calculate heat loss, I asume is based on materials used and how much of it, and yes I was going about it back words, figured I overbuild it first , and shade it down as needed

19. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A