1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Earthships

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by 2007blueprius, Jan 3, 2014.

1. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Crap, this arithmetic is wrong too. Let me go back to metric, but this time use the metric U value (5.6 times the Imperial)

1200 HDD in January is about a 40F gradient
    = to 22.2C
    My double pane with hard coat Low E has an American U value of 0.35, or 1.96 metric
    Thus heat loss in watts is 22*1.96 = 43.5 watts, or about 1 kWh a day per square_meter.

OK, now I can see where Corwyn is coming from.
    Now we can compare to triple pane:
    U (imperial) is about 0.2 for fancy coated glass, or 1.12 metric
    Now heat loss is 1.12*22.2 = 24.86 watts, a savings of (43.5 - 24.8) = 18.7 watts = 449 Wh a day per square meter.

How much heat gain have we given up ?
    2 panes of clear glass in Jan in MI let in about 1800 Wh a day per square_meter;
    3 panes will let in 2/3rds of that amount, or 1200 Wh a day per square_meter.

So, we reduce heat loss by 449 Wh per square_meter but reduce heat gain by 600 Wh per square_meter.

I think this is right, finally!
    Which is better ? Double pane is cheaper, lighter, and has a (small) benefit in net solar gain compared to triple-pane, but would do much worse (almost twice the losses) in holding heat generated from inside the home from say a furnace (or from a ground heat pump.)

2. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am loving every bit of this, to answear some concerns, humidity wise, I am well aware an airconditioning unit is just an oversized dehumidifier, in retrospect if the house can maintain a confortable 75f on it's own in july open windows at both ends should provide enough ventilation, the rammed earth walls are supposed to help with that too and if need be ceilingfans, just because airconditioning serves as a dehumidifier as well I don't think it is necesary good ventilation should take care of that either way and AC unit is totally out of the question, I would have to screw this up real bad before I consider one, the HDD/CDD numbers confirm that cooling is at least in theory unnecessary.

as for the windows, honestly I never really considered getting fancy but for arguments sake figured I'll have a look into it, for inspiration if nothing else, for example framing and thermal bridging tecniques I came across while looking into it can easily be implemented with double panes just as well, just happened to stumble into the fact that overall doubles might actually do better ( well that may still be debated ) not to mention the weight aspect, the latest drawing shows them bearing on the rammed earth wall which is good for 600psi and it's about a foot wide need to look into that but not sure if a stick wall in comparisson would weigh less

3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry guys, you seem well on your way, and I am busy writing a paper for a local passivhaus forum, so I can't pay complete attention here.

Just on note on the above.

2 panes of clear glass have a SHGC of about 0.70
    2 panes of soft-coat lo-e glass have a SHGC of about 0.45
    3 panes of hard-coat lo-e glass have a SHGC of about 0.63
    All GLASS ONLY values (i.e. not including frames)

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Impressive, the triple-pane SHGC. My hard coat Low-E double pane are rated 0.62 SHGC! Who is the manufacturer ?

Improved coating tech aside, is it wrong to think that a double pane will have 50% more solar gain than a triple pane if the coatings are the same ?

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I read through that article I guess what I am trying to acomplish is option 3 having the sunroom and trapping the heat in the back walls and the floor, we allready deternined that vertical windows is the way to go as it simplyfies construction and reduces summer gains, even winter gains are a bit increased as the number showed on the pv site, granted it's for solar panels but when discussing orientation of a collector same principle aplies.

now on that pv site why 800w, is that what one square meter pf pv panel is worth? how much solar energy can one expect to pass through a square meter? thought I saw 2400w somewhere, that is a big difference could mean not enoug or way too much

7. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    got me intrigued what does the hard coat do? what would a double with that same coat measure? t plain panes should be 0.55 does the hard coate increase the value? while the soft one decreases it? gosh this is getting complicated

8. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    ~ 800 watts, when facing opposite the sun.

Nominal radiation is 1000 watts, but for a variety of reasons 800 is a more realistic number.

9. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, Coatings are often only on one surface of one piece of glass, regardless of number of panes. There are some double coated triple panes, (for far northern latitudes) but generally just one coating is used.

10. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Windows *can* be complicated, although once you understand U-value and SHGC the topic is less intimidating. Just keep in mind that the frame is yet another can of worms.

One piece of advice from Corwyn seems pretty easy to accept: Probably best to avoid window scraps of unknown quality and spec. I think I mentioned that I was able to find a local window maker who ordered my choice of glass for a final window price of about $12 a square foot.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. Who is the manufacturer of a triple pane, low U-value, 0.63 SHGC ?

12. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, Coatings are often only on one surface of one piece of glass, regardless of number of panes. There are some double coated triple panes, (for far northern latitudes) but generally just one coating is used.

13. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    No one. That is a generic window, from my spreadsheet. And again, it is glass only, actual windows with frames will differ.

14. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ok. Time to explain Lo-e. Lo-e stands for Low Emissivity. Emissivity is a measure of the percentage of radiant energy given of by a surface at a given temperature compared to a perfect black body radiator. Most things have an emissivity around 90-95%. This is how IR thermometers work, they measure the radiant energy, assume a certain emissivity, and calculate the temperature. Low emissivity materials (mostly shiny metals) give off less radiant energy than a higher emissivity material for the same temperature. So window manufacturers put a thin coating of metal on one surface of a piece of glass (for cold climates this is usually the outer surface of the innermost piece of glass). So that piece of glass is radiating more heat energy in the direction of the uncoated side, than it does on the coated side. This acts to send the heat back into the room, rather than outside. Now clearly (pun intended), the coating can't be to thick, or you wouldn't be able to see through the window, but it does act to reduce the light and solar heat that enters.

Hope this helps.

15. 2007blueprius

2007blueprius Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well for one I automatically asumed if it's coated panes that is all panes maybe both sides, I was going over some stuff in my head earlier and you just confirmed it, a few posts back you mentioned all that a second wall of glass would do is reduce the radiation even further, true but at the same time that happens inside the building, nothing gets created nothing dissapears right the rest of the energy say 30 % for double panes its still contained within the building even if it had a clear shot 100% efficient path outside would still have a heck of a time getting past the first row of panes , so in other words you can pretty much rule out the second row of glass as any kind of loss, granted 70 % makes it past but the other 30 are still in the building half in the sun room the other half likely will end up radiating into the living space,

just my brain wondering

George

16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, thanks.

Still confused about SHGC though; specifically, how a 3-pane with coating could reach a solar gain as high as 0.62
    What is wrong in the following thinking ?

A single pane of clear glass blocks about 15% of radiation
    Two panes would block 0.15 + 0.15(.85) = 0.2775
    Three panes would block 0.15 + 0.15(.85) + 0.15(.72) = 0.3855

The coating is an additional block of some percentage on the inner-most glass. My sungate 500 hard coat Low E, double pane ends up with a SHGC of 0.62. That would suggest by my above reasoning that the hard coating itself blocks close to 15% of radiation. Or put another way, that the hard coat is equivalent to another pane of glass in terms of SHGC.

17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This Wasco website is informative. They are able to make a triple pane with a center glass U-value of 0.13 yet a SHGC of 0.56

Impressive!

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The sun-room is not heated space. Unless you *care* that is is 40° instead of 30°, the heat that ends up trapped there (when it is cold) doesn't really help you any. You (I assume) want the heated space to be warm, so you should try to get all heat there (eventually).

Let's take a hypothetical situation. It is a cold night, your house is 68°F (maintained), and the outside is 0°F. By morning the sun-room will be 34° ( (68-0)/2 assuming half the insulation value (windows) is on either side of it). Let's say there is just enough sunlight that day to heat the sun-room just up to 68° by late afternoon. None of that solar heat ever makes it inside. It is like having a solar collector, but forgetting to hook up the pipes.

19. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Please don't write it like that. Yes, you got it right, and I knew what you meant.

Two panes is 0.85 * 0.85 = 0.7225

Thanks.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    :)

Do we agree then that your earlier post that a generic 3 pane allows 0.85^3 SHGC is for clear glass without any coating ?