1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ease of battery fan inspection - Gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by tedjohnson, Oct 27, 2012.

1. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Could not find any Gen 3 instructions to get at the fan assembly, but it is easy
    1. Take out back storage grey cover, fold down the rear seats
    2. Remove back black plastic under floor carrier container - note hand holes on each side make it easy
    3. Flap over the seat back grey floor covering material and de velcro how it connects to the further back material
    4. Find the 10 mm silver hex bolt from the passenger side door and remove it
    5. From the back slide your hand in under the covering and lifting up, pop the plastic clips that hold it down. Do this gently and work from right to left until it is free. Remove it
    6. Pry out any white clips that remained in the aluminum cover and save
    7. Now you can inspect the fan and check the ducts
    8. I would leave off any white clips that pulled out , and press the remaining ones in when closing it up. Put in the 10mm bolt and drop everything back into place - well thought out design.

I ended up doing this because I discovered the start of a mouse nest in the storage underfloor area. Mice are a real problem. They nest in air filters and end up getting sucked into the engine causing much expensive grief, if they gnaw thru the filter itself. They can build a nest on top of the gas tank and chew the wires feeding the tank and the gas line as well. These have all happened to my cars in the past. With all the wiring and cozy spaces in the battery compartment, I thought I had better check. Now I Decon every car, all the engine crannies, inside the air filter compartment, in the trunk area, any place they can get into. f you live in a city likely not a problem , but if you park in the country , watch out. Yesterday I looked for a small roll of tums that was in the bottle holder and they were gone! Found the package open on the back floor with tums scattered all over. Guess the mice had indigestion....Time to Decon the Prius !!

chuckiechan and LulzChicken like this.
  2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Pardon me, what is Decon and how do you do it? I tried to google it, but got some hits that don't apply here.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks ted! was the fan dirty at all?

4. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Nope , clean as a whistle at 46,000 miles

5. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    d con is a mice poison, wafarin I believe, that is harmless to other animals. Get it at Home Depot or a hardware store.

6. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your statement is not correct about being harmless to other animals. In fact, d-con will kill dogs within a few days of ingestion. It is fatal to most small animals that eat it.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My dog ingested wafarin 2 months ago. I was lucky and saw it in his mouth. Rushed to emerg vet. 2 days there and $900 later he survived it. Very lucky. Deadly poison to dogs and it flavored with honey so dogs find it delicious..

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'd whole heartedly agree with that. In fact, you can leave off all of the really tenacious white clips, there's more than enough of the friendlier clips (and that 10mm bolt) to hold things in place. When I dug down to mine I really thought I was going to break something. I'm sure Toyota purposely toughened those fasteners to discourage exploration.

9. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I stand corrected, you are right it can be fatal if not compensated with Vitamin K for other animals. Thanks for pointing that out.

10. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    d-con is according to the label Coumarin not wafarin as I thought, but in any case is hazardous all around. Don't know what else to use for automobile mouse protection. Anyone with ideas?

11. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    How about a cat in the garage?

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Use these. No muss, no fuss.
    [​IMG]

13. 50324prius

50324prius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So how do you know you have caught something? Do you wait until your car interior smells bad, or do you dismantle everything on a daily basis and check for dead rodents?

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a red indicator on top that tells you if it's ready, a false alarm or if there's a mouse inside. They work great.

15. Jonny Zero

Jonny Zero Giggidy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I think he is talking about taking apart the Prius to check for mice, not the DCON.

16. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Aha! Get a dog to sniff them out. :D

17. If the cooling fans are located somewhere around the inlet ducting, then what are those two large fans immediately behind the HV battery. Right under trunk floor. I have a Pip, isn't it also Gen 3 ?

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe for cooling the battery charger.