1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ease of entry and exit compared to previous generations

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by GT4Prius, Sep 22, 2016.

1. GT4Prius

GT4Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Excel
    Consumer Reports review says:
    "Due to the car’s lower stance and seating position, getting in and out of the 2016 Toyota Prius hybrid requires a bit more ducking, and more of a controlled fall than a proper sitting motion."
    Is the 2016 car more difficult to get in and out of than previous generations?
    I noticed when I got my Gen2 that it was much easier to get in and out compared with my old Corolla, due to the seats being much higher from the ground. Sounds like this has changed significantly in the Gen4? Do folk have any issue with this?

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

RCO likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's what happens when you decide to make a utilitarian vehicle into a 'sports car'.

on the plus side, the improved handling has drawn in a whole new market of drivers, and sales are booming.(y)

RCO likes this.
  3. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, my joints are beginning to creak for want of oil and past 4 years have been spent driving SUVs, but when I drove the 2016 Prius I had no problems getting in or out.

Hope that helps you decide. Imho you will really like it. Just read what all these aficionados on Prius Chat are saying about it, there's even a few of us Brits!

4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Actually, I do find it harder to get out of, but I'd just got used to the Prius+ (V) which is much taller.

5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wrong kind of generation.

When you're 2-3 generations down the road?
    NO car is "easy to get into or out of" :D

Bluegrassman and QuintonD like this.
  6. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I might not have my driving position optimally set-up yet but I do find it more difficult getting in/out of my Gen4 than I did my Gen2. The space between me and the steering wheel is smaller and makes it more difficult getting in/out. My legs are short so I can't move the seat back further and I have the steering wheel as far away from me (closer to the dash) as possible. I do have the seat at it's tallest setting though so maybe that's something I could change and see if it helps... and also vary the tilt of the seat back.

plug-it-in likes this.
  7. plug-it-in

plug-it-in Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I fully agree. I also drove a Gen 2 before. Luckily I found that by raising the driver seat up I found a comfy seating position. There is a generation of us with increasingly stiffer bodies who had to get rid of our Ferrari's beause we could get in but could not get out of the car. - lol. By the way quite a few Tesla owners are unhappy with that car also for the same reason. I set in a Tesla in one of their 'stores' and banged my head when I was getting out.

8. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Definitely try the v if the gen 4 is a problem for you.

Sooner Al and RCO like this.
  9. mark27lim

mark27lim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a small guy but I raise the seat to max and lower the steering to min and seat forward for my ideal driving position with arms slightly bent. it's hard to get in and out. a tight squeeze which I suspect has caused the extreme wearing off of the cloth moonstone in one patch on my seat. see the picture I posted in the moonstone holding up thread.

iPhone ?

10. mark27lim

mark27lim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    forgot to add, car is only 3 months old

iPhone ?

11. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've no problems, easier to get into than my previous Fiesta, easier than some other cars I test-drove too. It's got better vision out than the Fiesta too, narrow pillars and the side pillars are further back on PRIUS so easier to see around them. The seats aren't as "hugging" as Fiesta (or Golf etc), so it's easier to swing around to look out the rear window without my shoulder being stopped by the shape of the seat.

RCO likes this.
  12. dancekat59

dancekat59 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I think I've identified a contributing factor. The side bolsters on the back of the seat are much more pronounced (extending more forward) on the Gen4 v.s. the Gen2 seat. This reduces the space between the steering wheel and the seat when entering/exiting. I suspect it will cause extra wear and tear on the edge of the side bolster.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  13. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're probably right - my previous car had much more pronounced side bolsters than Gen 4, and my 86yr old Dad had trouble getting in - fortunately, though he didn't drive, he still had his OLD '92 Camry which had almost NO side bolsters.

RCO likes this.
  14. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I say yes. Compared to my gen 2, It's a bit more of a roll to get out of the 2016. Also some how I hit a foot on the bottom of the door. But better than a Cadillac or my brothers BMW. Those cars have no head room.

GT4Prius likes this.
  15. romr

romr New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I find it harder to get in and out that my Camry, and my Camry is harder to get in and out of than my xB that car is easy to get in and out of too bad it's a bit aerodynamic challenged.

iPad ?