1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy bass addition = Bazooka tube

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by chuck2002, Aug 8, 2012.

1. chuck2002

chuck2002 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I recently installed an 8 inch Bazooka tube in my 2012 trim level 2 Prius and thought I would share the ease of install and my thoughts on adding a tube.
    I purchased the following items from amazon:
    Bazooka BTA8250D BT Series 8-Inch 250-Watt Class D Amplified Tube
    Bazooka FAST-1761 1987-Up Fast-Toyota/ Geo
    Bazooka FAST-BTAH Fast Extension Cable
    I didn't install this, but it is an option:

Bazooka Rbcm-250 Bass Remote Control Module

The FAST system is technically not compatible with the X250D line of tubes. (6.5 inch, 8 inch and 10 inch models)
    Should you choose a lower wattage tube, you would have a really easy install using the FAST system. It uses the head unit wiring harness and 5 meter extension cable as the only wires that the tube needs to function. You wire it in behind the factory radio, run the wires back to the tube and you are done. Nothing else to wire at all. No wires to splice. This works for the models up to 100 watts I think, but you will want to check to be sure.

Anyways, I chose the 250 watt model, but I still wanted to limit my need for splicing wires and didn't want to cut any factory wiring. My car is a lease, so I need to return it to stock form once the lease is over.
    With the FAST head unit harness, I was able to get the wiring I needed from under the dash without splicing anything. I got remote turn on and high level inputs from this.
    I then cut the FAST extension cable connector off (The connector that goes into the tube normally if doing a lower wattage tube via the FAST installation.)
    I spliced in the connector that came with my tube by connecting the high level inputs and remote turn on. -Note that this splicing is happening on the FAST extension wires and not the factory car wiring.
    Next I took the 12 gauge power wire and fuse that came with the tube and connected this to the battery in the hatch, hooked up a ground wire and I was done.
    The install took approximately 30 minutes.
    The Tube performs admirably for what it is. Nice deep bass. I placed mine on the passenger side and used the forward tie down anchor location to strap the tube down. It is nice and secure.

Overall thoughts:
    Affordable at less than 300 bucks
    Light weight. The tube weighs less than 15 pounds
    Super easy install for 100 watt versions using the FAST system. One wiring harness to plug in, run the extension wire to the hatch, plug into the tube and you are done.
    Easy install modifying the FAST system for the 250 watt tube models
    If you install the 250 watt model, you have the option of adding a 2nd unpowered 'slave' tube to increase your bass potential.
    Running power is exceptionally easy in a Prius because of 12 volt battery location
    Easily removable by unhooking a harness and then taking out of the car if needbe
    No cutting of factory wiring
    Fairly compact
    There is a harness available for the JBL systems
    Choice of bass with 6.5 inch, 8 inch and 10 inch models

I will add a picture of the completed install once I have taken one.

Steph1972 and WE0H like this.
  2. yyyiiikes

yyyiiikes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Looking forward to the pics.

Thanks for sharing.

3. Jay J

Jay J Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmn suscribed

4. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Me too :)

Mike

5. nicholfd

nicholfd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Subscribed.

6. chuck2002

chuck2002 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok here are the pictures I promised.
    In the first one, you can see the stock bazooka strap I used to hold the tube in place. It doesn't hold it super tight, but it stays well.

DSCF1144.JPG

Next is the rear of the tube where the gain adjustment and crossover adjustment is and the connectors. One connector for input (Speaker level or RCA), output (for a slave tube), and remote turn on.
    2nd connector is for constant power from the battery and ground.
    Remember that the tube comes with power wire and a 30 amp fuse for installation. It is short for any other car, but sufficient for the hatch battery of a Prius. No need to buy power wiring or a fuse, which is nice.

DSCF1146.JPG

Last image is of the only splices I made installing the tube.
    You can see RCA here, this is for RCA input. I did not cut these encase I put this tube in some other vehicle someday.
    The unconnected wires are left over from the FAST system and are used to power tubes that are lower power than my 250 watt model.

DSCF1148.JPG

Removal is easy by simply unplugging both harnesses and the strap.

WE0H likes this.
  7. PanzerFreak

PanzerFreak Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wow, this looks great! Excellent job! I'm thinking of ordering the same model. I have a 2010 III with JBL and did find the JBL harness on Amazon and Ebay, it appears to be the FAST-8813 harness.

Steph1972 likes this.
  8. Aquos

Aquos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    what and where are the speaker wire you used to tap into.

thanks

Wums likes this.
  9. chuck2002

chuck2002 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  10. ChonkyCat

ChonkyCat New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I had a Bazooka in my old Supra. Added some great bass, but I wish it were more stealthy.

11. Wums

Wums New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm thinking the same thing. In the process of installing this now and I have to run some more wire it looks like!