1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EASY fix for my "death rattle" sound on 2011 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by justphilly, Mar 2, 2023.

1. justphilly

justphilly Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have had my '11 Prius for 5.5 years & over 150k miles and its odometer is a little over 200k. During a small portion of that time I drove it for delivery routes that forced the engine to run at low speeds a lot, which resulted in it running a little rough. (lots of driving at very low speeds & leaving the car in Park while delivering for a minute here and 30 seconds there)

Eventually the rough running progressed to massive shaking every time the engine ran at less than 3000 RPM (i'm just guessing the # by sound but i think i have a decent feel for the RPM range of the car). Autozone guy checked the reason for my check engine light and told me I had two codes for EGR system not working correctly.

Friend of mine who maintains his own Prius and used to be a professional auto mechanic, told me to try having the air intake and EGR cleaned out, which was going to cost me $700 at his buddy's shop (or he'd do it for $500 but i'd have to have it done when his schedule isn't busy). I was gonna bite the bullet and pay the $700 because being without any car at all is not a good option for me, but after reading on here that it's worth it to try spraying intake cleaner into the air intake, i did so. the shaking went away after running the engine hard for a few minutes during normal driving.

So here's my testimonial. It may be worth it to spend a few bucks on intake cleaner if your car is shaking. If that doesn't work, you can progress to more invasive methods like disassembling the intake manifold, cleaning out the EGR system, head gasket repair, etc. I may still have the intake manifold and EGR cleaned but i'll do it at a time that's more convenient to me, and maybe avoid spending big money renting a car at late notice and so on.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    This should be interesting. :coffee:

PriusGuy32 and Brian1954 like this.
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A $500 to $700 charge just to clean the EGR is way too expensive, but not surprising... But you could do this work yourself in an afternoon or a day if you let parts soak over night. There's plenty of online tutorials on how to do this. Start with the one in Mendel's signature link above!

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Popcorn for me...

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

PriusGuy32, Brian1954 and Tombukt2 like this.
  5. Priipriii

Priipriii Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am assuming you went past the MAF sensor when you sprayed it in correct?

I might try this idea but with regular carb cleaner as they are all combustable and work well breaking down stuck carbon. Will it fix my misfire? Probably not but its worth giving it a try incase something is clogged that is causing it.

6. rrg1234

rrg1234 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with Justphilly, just go for what works for you.
    I have my own way of keeping the death rattle away in the cold at 220K (mostly highway miles) with my fuel treatment.
    No oil burn (change my oil between 5k to 7k miles) and no cleaning of EGR, yet.
    I also listen for the rattle on every start with the radio off to catch it right away in the winter or cold damp weather.

7. Michael Wood

Michael Wood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That sounds exactly right. The EGR system gets blamed for a lot bad business taking place inside the intake manifold, which is always preferable to the invasive methods.

Question - did the Autozone guy reset your check engine light and clear the codes, or is the light still on?