1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy "Homelink" option

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by TowDawg, May 24, 2013.

1. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok...this job is not for the faint of heart!! I am no master tech but I sling a wrench pretty well! The pics below show my finished product as well as the view from behind. The last pic shows the two clips that hold it together which I have something to say about! First...in order to do this clean and correctly you will need to locate the module that has the two separate boards. There is a ribbon that connects the two but it allows you to move the larger board so that this cover can be put back into place. (thanks to Genetiix for pointing that out!) The next thing is that you need to modify the housing so that the bottom 2/3's of it is removed. This is so the lower board is completely exposed and you can move it around. The reason why you need the top 1/3 of the housing is because this helps the controller part of the module to sit put and allow the two clips from the cover to snap in and hold it all together. Now this is where I have a major problem with this mod! These have been designed to work in sunvisors. The only thing between the cover plate and the module is fabric!!! If you you have any sort of thickness in your mounting location....good luck securing it and making it work properly. I had to place the thing on the floor and use linesman pliers to evenly distribute all of my 200lbs on both sides of the clip just to get it to catch and snap together. Problem is that it is so tight that I am afraid they are just going to fall apart one day and land on my lap while I am driving! I will have to figure out something when that time comes. Now just because the set up looks assembled doesn't mean it works! The rubber buttons on the face don't actually reach far enough to hit the buttons internally. I had trimmed little pieces of plastic from the scrap part of the housing and hot glued them to the tips of the rubber internally. That did the trick. (thanks again Genetiix for the idea!) Now if anyone has any ideas on how to improve on what I have already done....please chime in!!

Oh...you have to trim the plastic lines on the back of the cover in order to get the housing to sit flush. And also...I didn't use a dremel or anything. I drilled all of the holes so they line up perfectly and allows for a cleaner OEM look install

IMG_1400.jpg IMG_1401.jpg IMG_1402.jpg

mgb4tim likes this.
  2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would suggest not to use the covers so the buttons can protrude more. Use the cover as a template to drill the holes for the buttons. I will use small drill bit making holes in the inside of the proposed holes after marking it with a pencil and smoothen it out with sand paper 300-600 grit. Then use gorilla glue to permanently stick the module to the plastic trim piece. May need some trimming on the plastic trim. That should look flash and neat. I'm in the process of doing this mod too and thank you guys.

3. drowssap

drowssap Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would love to see how that would be done!

4. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    @ImeanGrean: Any progress? I'd like to see some pictures of what your trying.

Thanks

5. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can you please let me know how to find a Homelink with 2 PCB's. All the ones I see on eBay have on one.

Thank you.

6. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ok, so I couldn't wait. I went to the junk yard, grabbed a gray homelink... began the surgery to my 24hr old Prius.

Pics to come tomorrow.

7. zebelkhan

zebelkhan Member in good standing

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Those who will be attempting this mod, when getting a homelink device try to get one with green LED light. Codes off of the ones with yellow or red light will not work with some newer garage door openers (craftsman, chamberlain, lift master, etc. with 2.0+ security) without installing a repeater which can cost $50. The ones with green light do not need the repeater.

I know about this because I just bought a new Chamberlain garage door opener and my homelink does not work with it without the repeater. I have the one with yellow light :(

8. Tekjunke

Tekjunke Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Pictures as promised, though a little late.

The pink objects are actually cut up erasers from a pencil, I used them to extend the throw of the switch. Since the plastic panel is much thicker than the sunvisor cloth... I needed extra reach for the buttons. Everything is held together with CA glue and a little bit of epoxy under the black plastic box itself.

Also, I only used the 9V battery to make sure it was all functioning before gluing it all together

All in all, a great mod. (thanks to those earlier in this thread) 2013-07-18 22.30.12.jpg 2013-07-18 22.30.39.jpg 2013-07-19 06.59.59.jpg 2013-07-19 07.00.21.jpg 2013-07-18 22.31.40.jpg

Tim Lucchino and mgb4tim like this.