1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy oil filter cap tightening guide with no torque wrench.

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mike500, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I did my own oil change at 3,300 miles a year, ago.

Before removing the filter cap, I marked the position of the cap at the "clip" with white paint, before taking it off. No torque wrench needed.

When I replaced the oil filter, I repositioned it exactly at the point of the clip.

I had the dealer do the yearly oil change in February. The oil in the dipstick was a little darker than the 0W20 Mobil 1 that I used last July. I always wondered, if the dealer changed the oil and the filter.

Today, I removed the entire bottom splash panel to install my oil change door hinge kit.

Fortunately, I can verify now that the filter cap was off, because my white paint mark was not exactly at the tip of the "clip." I have uploaded a photo.

I just hope this is useful and helps others on PriusChat.

Attached Files:

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If he used Toyota 0W20, it's a little ruddier than most. No big deal.

The dealership probably did use a torque wrench, to have it end up as pictured. Either that or they cranked it another turn. :ROFLMAO:

3. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Another turn? That would have to mean that the very hard 70 Shore durometer Viton "o" ring had to be compressed a full 1.25 mm or 3/32 inch. That's the thread pitch of the housing. Not likely, at all!

4. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Totally agree a full extra turn is not possible (the previous poster knows that as well). However, the O-ring on my 2010 is between the inner and outer annulus of the oil cap/engine, so the compression is totally independent of the torque. Is the Prius v wagon different?

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The "v" uses the same oil cap and "o" ring as the Gen III 2010+.

6. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Irv, the only problem I see with your method is that you made an assumption that the filter housing was torqued to the proper spec when you marked it.

If you had loosened it a bit then retorqued it to spec before making the mark, then it removes that variable. However, one could always argue that even that method relies on the torque obtained from an "old" precompressed O ring. ;)

SCH-I535

7. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Peter,

I marked the oil cap as it came from the Toyota factory.

It has been determined that "torque angle" is a lot more accurate method than "frictional resistance" in determining how tight a threaded fastener is. When tightened, the threaded fastener, oil cap included, is actually tensioned axially.

Almost all manufacturers have realized and use "angular torque" in the assembly of critical bolted systems.

The torque angle method actually works like a micrometer, and everyone with any experience knows how accurate a micrometer is.

In 2001, I patented a totally digital torque wrench and a real time gang torque wrench that certifies and records a digital record for every fastener of an aircraft or spacecraft. Unfortunately, it has NOT YET been adopted by the industry. I believe that it will become standard in the industry in the future.

acceleraptor likes this.
  8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Before everyone starts thinking I'm Peter, let's nip this in the bud. My momma don't know no Peter. :D

SCH-I535

9. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two

Sorry, I got the wrong guy.