1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy & Safe Home Power Inverter System for Prius… Good Idea?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Gregg chappell, Oct 7, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gregg chappell

Gregg chappell New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We recently lost our power for several days at our home in South Florida due to Hurricane Irma.

I was able to power my TV, computers, lights and fans using an inverter system powered by the starter battery on my 2010 Prius. Before the storm hit, I spend half a day gathering materials to make the power system including a 1000 watt pure sine wave inverter, beefed up connection cables, inline fuse system, quick disconnects and terminal connectors. All of this took several hours to assemble.

When done, the system worked great. Besides the time involved in the purchase and assembly, the only other drawback was I had to leave my Prius running for 3 days, which my research concluded was no problem for the car. But I still wanted to be able to monitor the engine temperature, oil pressure, inverter heat, whether the battery was being charged and how many watts of AC power the house was pulling.

In spite of knowing it was not an issue, I still wanted to keep an eye on my gauges. After several trips to the car in the pouring rain to check my dashboard, I realized there needed to be a better way. So I started to design an app that would feed me all the vital information. Once I had all of that on paper, I went a step further and designed a no-hassle, easy to install, 1000 watt pure sine wave kit for Prius owners.

Is this system a product that Prius drivers would be interested in owning?

I would greatly appreciate your input…..

Thank you,

dancehost and EstebanSV like this.
  2. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Probably would be a better idea to use the 201v battery to a high efficiency inverter and provide much better efficiency and more power capability

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  6. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    You were not actually getting that power from the starter battery, partly because there is NO 12 V starter in the Prius and thus no "starter" battery.

Your power was coming from the Converter/charger attached to the HV battery.....and ultimately from the gas engine.

But yes a lot of Prius owners seem to be tech junkies and probably a lot of them would be interested in something like this.

I personally think that an actual stand-alone dedicated generator is a MUCH better solution overall, especially if you have natural gas service at your house.

7. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I think probably not a better idea.
    The onboard computer systems might be "confused" by power going out of the HV battery that it can't account for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.