1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy theft of Prius

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by ed08724, Sep 15, 2015.

1. ed08724

ed08724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I searched and didn't find any specific answer to this new problem.
    There is a cheap $50 device made that simply amplifies the prius, and many other brands, wireless entry signal. It does not have to know or figure anything out about your specific codes since it just amplifies everything.
    The thief just stands next to your car and it amplifies the signal going to your keyfob, which might be in your house or in your pocket if at a store, in which case your keyfob transmits a signal to open the door and the same device amplifies it and the car opens.

The only way to prevent this seems to be to keep both keyfobs in the freezer, or other metal box.
    This tends to add more time to opening the car then just taking the keyfob out of your pocket and pressing unlock.

Does anyone know any way to disable the buttonless entry and just keep the remote entry part.
    I realize they could still break a window and start the car using these devices but this seems a little safer.

re: NY Times article
    http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/16/style/keeping-your-car-safe-from-electronic-thieves.html?smid=fb-share&_r=0

#1 ed08724, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The smart-key fob signal only travels a matter of feet.
    The REMOTE signal can travel 30-50 ft, but its only active while you're pushing a button.

You're confusing the remote function from the smart-key function, they are not the same thing. Getting into the car is the easy part. Without the smart-key you're not going anywhere.

3. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Read the article. Scary!

4. ed08724

ed08724 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    #4 ed08724, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's a recent thread on the subject:

Repeater hack for keyless entry | PriusChat

Don't feel like you've not searched enough, btw, it can be hard to find stuff. Sometimes just googling "priuschat subject matter" is more effective than the site's search function.

g22 likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, there have been threads about this happening. Discussions.
    IMO, it's still a pretty rare happening, even if it IS happening it's not yet common.

I'm sure if this type of problem becomes too common the automotive and auto security industry will react. And so will I.

In the meantime? I seem to remember a thread where the BEST fob signal blocker was a metal Coctail Shaker. Seriously.

If I start to hear about thefts/break ins, of this nature happening more often or locally? I may be searching the local thrift shops for something metal and I prefer my fob Shaken not Stirred.

In the meantime? The dance between Crime, theft and Security and Technology, has always existed. Make a new lock? Somebody figures out how to pick it.

I think this is something to be concerned with, and pay attention to, but NOT obsess about. Even with this reality, I think my Prius about as secure as any keyless entry vehicle parked on the street. And while that might not be as safe as it once was, I still think it's safe enough.

beachgeek likes this.
  7. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Newspapers are in the business of selling "scary stuff". In most cases, the researchers behind this kind of thing are also selling something or looking for funding.

The average car thief can nether afford nor comprehend such stuff. Most days they're lucky if they figure out how to get high.

Merkey and Sergiospl like this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you're really concerned, simply remove the battery from your key fob. Both remote keyless and SKS will be disabled. You'll have to release the mechanical key to lock and unlock the doors. The key fob then has to be held on the start button in order to start the car. Disabling just SKS won't stop the thieves since they can amplify the remote keyless signal.

This is what I do to use every last bit of battery from the key fob. I'm not concerned about theft. I'm just cheap.

9. Beachbummm

Beachbummm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    they can steal both of mine, I have them insured..
    if I cared about them id take the steering wheel off and the battery out every night before I park them.
    im looking for a reason to buy a new one but these things will not die

MERGED

battery is 2 bucks on e bay with free shipping, live a little!

#9 Beachbummm, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2015
    krmcg and Sergiospl like this.
  10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The idea that a repeater could pick up your fob at a distance of more than 5 feet is unreasonable and unscientific. Scare tactics.

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While I agree that this is something I'm NOT going to worry about too much.

I wouldn't stereotype or underestimate the "Criminal Element".

From what I've read, this is a simple and affordable device. Youth, even criminal youth, may have a much better grasp of what is possible and what is happening than myself, as I desperately look for a Cocktail Shaker to place my fob in.

I don't make the assumption that these are all drug addicts, just trying to score for their next hit.

I think this "advancement" in the ability to defeat "keyless entry" is worth paying attention to...and perhaps even reacting to...
    It's not worth panicking about.

I come close to saying I don't really like threads, and articles like this, just because I think the information about this possibility does nothing but raise the awareness of the possibility to EVERYONE...potential criminals and vehicle owners alike.

Somewhere there are some innocent kids, probably just curious as to "IF" they can make this happen.
    Somewhere a would be car thief, reads the article and wonders just how easy it might be to make or obtain this device.

This doesn't sound to me like technology so advanced it fends off usage or application by merit of cost or complication.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Ed- That ain't New Jersey in the background, right?

We've talked here in threads too about the "metal box" and these are not too effective at blocking unless you have a good metal box designed for the purpose. Someone here said what works is several layers of aluminum foil. I tried that and it seemed to work. But overall at the moment we are not seeing much of this activity here in Virginia as far as I know.

#12 wjtracy, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The underlined section does not apply in the scenario we have been hearing about. The signal from the fob is strong, not weak, and doesn't need amplification. The purported device amplifies just one way, from the car to the fob.
    No starting that we have heard about, just entry to pilfer the contents.

14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    I didn't see a Prius on the list in "Gone in 60 seconds", not really a sought after car for professionals, who would go to this trouble, is it.

ahmad ashfaq likes this.
  15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  16. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    All hypothetical:

Contacted for comment on this study, an Infiniti spokesperson told Edmunds: "Infiniti engineers and security teams are reviewing the findings of this study. Our current understanding is that there is no indication any Infiniti vehicle was actually exploited by the authors in the study.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i never keep the batteries in the fobs. it's a fools errand.

18. E Risch

E Risch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    It is still easier to get into any vehicle with a Champion spark plug, $2.99... also called Ninja Rocks

19. JTM2955

JTM2955 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I found out about ten years ago that the wireless signal can be transmitted via telephone/cell phone.

My Prius was on the driveway and I was trying to watch football on a Sunday afternoon. My daughter had left her sweater in my car and wanted to get it. I was planted in front of the wide screen and prefered not to move. She calls me on her cell and asksme to come open the car.

I held my fob up and pressed the unlock button. Then I asked is it unlocked, she said nope. I asked her to hold the phone near the handle, she said why, I told her just do it. She did and I pushed the unlock button again, this time the door did unlock. She then said how did you do that? Pure magic and the ability to transmit a signal from a cellphone.

krmcg likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I hope you don't really expect me to believe that the car fob signal was actually transmitted over the cell system. It was not.

JTM2955 likes this.