1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy to install speakers

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Docholo, Feb 27, 2018.

1. Docholo

Docholo Junior Member

In 2018, what are the easiest to install speakers for a 2005 prius with the non-JBL low trim radio? It would be nice if they sounded fantastic but I would rather have a trouble free install.

Thanks

2. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    How are you defining "easy to install"? Installing car speakers is hardly brain surgery in any event.

Probably the easiest to install would be the Focal I65TOY. They require no speaker adapters for mounting the mid or the tweeter, neither do they require any wiring adapters. They're also $300.

For a lot less than that, you can buy any number of speakers from Crutchfield. They include mounting and wiring adapters, and REALLY thorough installation instructions. Component sets start at $70.

Docholo likes this.
  3. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    if you have a small drill, screwdrivers, 1/4" sockets, a soldering iron and wire strippers, its easy to change prius speakers. without those few tools and a little skill, you'll butcher the job and you're better off paying someone that gives a ---- to do the install. several threads and "sparkys guide" show how to do it. and crutchfield has a fitment guide if you're not confident that you can figure out what to buy after watching the videos and reading the threads. you won't regret a speaker upgrade cause the base speakers were garbage from the word go.

Docholo likes this.
  4. Docholo

Docholo Junior Member

Ok, I see that crutchfield does a pretty fine job at getting one the basic wiring harnesses and adapter brackets. I see the focus i65toy and the powerbass kit that have everything picked out to fit with minimal effort.

My level of skill is that I can dismount the traction fan motor and clean it out. If all the brackets are there, i can screw them together.

I guess I am a little concerned about matching front speakers which are split tweeter and woofer with the rear door speakers which have to be coaxial (i think).

5. bl817

bl817 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I put the powerbass OE65C-TY in my base model 08. it was very straight forward. it comes with everything you need to complete the job on the front door speakers... brackets, tweeter adapters, new rivets, harnesses. no wire cutting, soldering or adjustments needed at all. if you get them from Crutchfield, they will add disassembly sheets and any other hardware needed. as mentioned above, you will need a drill as the door speakers are riveted in from the factory and also a pop rivet tool (less than 10$ anywhere). while I was doing speakers, I purchased an open box set of Kenwood 2 way speakers for the back doors. Crutchfield sent wire connectors for those as well. I cant remember if the backdoor speakers needed an adaptor ring or not, if they did then they sent those as well. you'll be glad you did the upgrade once its done, sounds so much better. I also added a pioneer double din head unit with Bluetooth, HD radio, DVD..etc. good luck

Docholo likes this.
  6. Docholo

Docholo Junior Member

Those are all good ideas. I'm thinking about trying to install an Infinity 6500CS for the fronts and see where I stand. I might look for a bass-heavy speaker for the rears or just leave those stock.