1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Easy transaxle inspection and fluid change...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, May 15, 2022.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    On a Gen 3 Prius (including the Prius v) it is very simple to inspect the fluid in the transaxle.

It can be done during an oil change when the oil change door is lowered. There is no need to remove the entire under engine cover even if you decide to drain the transaxle. There is a cutout to allow the fluid to drain as shown in this photo. transaxle drain access.png

Both the fill and drain plugs are accessable when the oil drain door is lowered as seen in the following photo. All you need is a 10mm hex bit socket and a 12 inch extension.

90188_atf_plugs1.jpg

Using a small syringe and extension tube, crack open the fill plug and draw out a sample. The syringe can be had on Amazon.

DEPEPE 2pcs 100ml Large Plastic Syringe with 2pcs 47in Handy Plastic Tubing and Luer Connections for Scientific Labs, Measuring, Watering, Refilling, Filtration, Feeding

Here is a comparisson between fluid that needs to be replaced and new,

9.jpeg

If your fluid is in good condition, just syringe it back in the fill port and replace the plug. You're done and achieved peace of mind, Otherwise, you can just drain and replace the fluid.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow... That sure looks alot different than a Gen2 Prius.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I’m sitting on my hands on this, but anyway: I follow the CDN oil change sched for 3rd gen, every 6 months beating out miles. With nearly 12 years of oil changes, and various other “forays”, I’d guess I’ve had that cover off at least 30 times.

Can virtually do it by feel, takes under 10 minutes, affords a better view of things, look for leaks, CV boot condition, and so on.

the fasteners are in surprisingly good condition, finally changed about 3 of the plastic ones now, due to failing jaws. Used Toyota, so expect they’ll last. Good rule is to always wash the grit out before reinstalling.

4. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    We don't have the road debris and detritis problems that you may have. Accordingly, the full undercover does not need to be removed and cleaned regularly.

I even drilled a cutout that allowed me to drain the inverter coolant without removig the undercover.

212907_removing-installing_plug.jpg

Mendel Leisk likes this.