1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eating rear brakes every 5000 miles

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Dick Fittswell, Feb 20, 2022.

1. Dick Fittswell

Dick Fittswell New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I changed all my brakes back in March of 2021. Pads and rotors all the way around with new hardware and slider service all the way around. I drive 10,000 miles a month. All of the sudden in September of last year the rear brakes started eating the pads every 5-10,000 miles. I replaced the outer hoses and then the left front to rear brake line popped. I replaced both front to rear lines and then the short pieces on the rear axle. One fitting was rotted into the left inner hose so I just replaced both of them. Bled the system and have been still replacing the pads every 5-10,000 miles. I’m using OEM Toyota ceramic pads and I do a slider service at every pad change. Can anyone clue me in on what the heck is going on. It seems like the rears are doing all the work instead of the front as the front pads I replaced back in March of 2021 have about 1/3 of the pad life left.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's the condition of the fitting kit (the little clips where the pad ears slide, 04948 here)?

Those come from the factory with a dry, Teflon-like coating (no grease, would only attract grit). It wears off.

The channels they fit into in the caliper bracket can sometimes rust; as that rust expands, it can squeeze those clips down on the pad ears.

[​IMG]

Have you measured the caliper piston return? More on doing that in this post.

Key to a good measurement is minimal pressure; on the bench I used barely enough air pressure to get the piston to kiss the test block and then return.

There have been threads with attempts to measure piston return on the car by stepping on the brake, but at the kinds of pressure the brake system can exert, elasticity of the metal parts will figure into the measurement and throw it off.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on your car? i'm calculating over a million at 10k/month

4. Dick Fittswell

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Brackets,calipers and shims are all brand new also. It seems like the actuator is got the pressure backwards and is sending the pressure that the front is supposed to get to the back and vise versa.

5. Dick Fittswell

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Coming up on 300,000 miles. I’ve only owned this car since November of 2020. Had to put a motor in it and was gonna sell it after I installed the new motor as I bought it with this in mind. Then all the low ballers,so I kept it and started driving it myself. Like I said,this all just started months after the major brake change,maybe 40,000 miles after that brake change as I wasn’t driving it for a little bit and was trying to sell it.

bisco likes this.
  6. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hmmm...that is a mystery! One thing the rear brakes have that the front doesn't is the parking brake...check that to make sure it really releases fully after use.
    One other thing is how hard are you on the brakes? With hybrids, we're told to "glide" as much as possible and to brake gently and early, not "slam" on our brakes as this both increases battery charging by using the regenerative brakes and also only uses the hydraulic brakes a little. Slamming on the brakes will always use the hydraulics. I know a lady who is a "gas and brake" person and she's only getting MPGs in the 40's in her Prius.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think the v has a parking brake design different from the Gen 3 liftback.

The liftback has parking integrated with the rear disc brake calipers.

I think the v has a top-hat-shaped rotor, and the disc brake pads are only used as the service brakes. The parking brake uses a separate pair of brake shoes inside the top-hat of the rotor.

[​IMG]

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The Prius v has a mini-drum brake for parking brake, so it’s not the “X” orientation of the piston face bugbear.

Dick Fittswell likes this.
  9. Dick Fittswell

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It seems to be in the regeneration system. When I brake going uphill or on level terrain the brakes seem to be working correctly. I have two mile long steep grade hills I go up and down and when lightly holding the brake, like in regen mode,you can feel the rears start grabbing hard. The longer you hold the pedal,the harder they start grabbing. Like sagging the tea suspension grabbing. This problem only started when I started taking this route with the hills.

10. Dick Fittswell

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I’m a gas and brake person too,but with this Prius I do the glide thing you mentioned and it doesn’t make a difference. I have two Camry hybrids,a 2015 and a 2020 and neither of them have given me this problem. And I drive both of them at least twice as hard as I do the Prius. That’s why I’m stumped.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the regen system is in the tranny, but brake pressure is controlled by ecu. you might need tech stream to try and see what's happening, idk. surprising you're not getting a code.

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Shouldn't be doing that. Have you tried 'B' mode down that hill?

13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Connecting a scan tool and datalogging the pressure sensor readings from the brake actuator would be a good way to confirm or disconfirm what you think is happening here. (The Tactrix Openport 2.0 is a J2534 dongle with a handy feature, a memory card slot where you can have it do its own datalogging without a computer connected).

That kind of datalogging relies on getting the pressures sensed by the brake ECU and returned in CAN messages every so often. Another option would be to get one or two pressure transducers and plumb them into the brake lines and log those in real time, using something that actually logs their signal voltages. I bought a couple such transducers (from Dwyer) years ago when I was troubleshooting that Gen 1 brake issue, though it turned out to be simply the zero piston return of the aftermarket caliper.

There is an outfit ssbc-usa.com that sells a lot of oddball brake bits, including sets of threaded adapters you can use to get from the standard threaded fitting on a pressure transducer to the caliper threads where the bleed screw goes in.

#13 ChapmanF, Feb 22, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
  14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I doubt this is happening unless the rears are dragging.

I "seriously" doubt reversed operation as described in the scenarios above. Even if the brake booster was demanding hydraulics routinely, the fronts would wear first. We know the master cylinder is flawed on these models, my 2012 v wagon (260k miles) lost the brake booster system early, but I have never heard of reversed actuation.

Dragging brakes, yes, but as a high mile driver, with resources such as Toyota mechanics, independent hybrid mechanics and forums, I have never heard of reversed hydraulics as a fault. Without trouble codes it would seem to be near impossible with the level of wheel speed monitoring employed.

In my case, the front pads, calipers and rotors are original; the rear parts are original except for the pads which were changed about 5k miles ago simply because one rear bearing was dragging. Of course I am in a no rust state where the idea of brake hose or caliper replacement on a ten year old car is unthinkable.

Dragging brakes should cause low mpg and is reasonably obvious to careful inspection.

I have to think the parking brake actuator mechanism or the calipers are suspect. Do you use the parking brake? Were the new calipers aftermarket? Any brake booster codes?

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Maybe chock front wheels and jack up the back, try spinning the wheels. Then have assistant apply release brake, then parking brake, while you spin them some more. Might reveal something..