1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

eBay strut tower brace for $45 is it any good?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Daves09prius, Jun 25, 2011.

1. vidoprof

vidoprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Do you have an update on this? Any long term review? Inquiring minds wanna know. :)

Thanks
    Ryan

2. Daves09prius

Daves09prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Now that I've had it installed for awhile now, the $45 brace is an improvement over stock and is a good low cost alternative to the Tanabe and other more expensive braces. I say if you're looking to improve the handling but not willing or able to spend $150 or more, get the ebay $45 brace.

I have noticed that my fuel milage has dropped, but that's because I'm driving it harder, and accelerating more comming out of turns than I use to.

If anyone else has the ebay brace please share your review.

I think the biggest improvement will come with lowering springs, and bigger front and rear swaybars, but those come at a high price, and will require a shop, or someone with real diy know how. Maybe I'll get to do that someday... but not now.

2 people like this.
  3. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Time for some autocross :car:

Mike :p

4. minispeed

minispeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got this bar too and was thinking a lot of the same things that were mentioned early on in this thread. It didn't look as high quality, or as stiff as the other options. But at $45 it looked like value.

I think it was worth it. I can't give a lot of before and after because I did it just a few days after getting my car. I also did it at the same time as the chasis plate (which I also got off ebay).

I find that the car handles well, I can turn in sharp and carry a lot of speed through the corners. I often wonder when I drive why car and driver rips apart the prius for handling so poor? I've driven a lot of high performance cars (91 skyline gtr, 04 mini cooper s, classic mini race car, jetta on H&Rs, many BMWs) and the prius does show it's econo hatch roots but it feels better than the wifes civic on 17s.

As for the quality of the bar, it installs very easily, no fussing to get things to line up (that was my biggest fear that i'd have to hit it with a hammer or bend it).

I would say you're foolish to spend any more on a strut bar. If you have extra money to spare and you want to corner better get a rear sway bar and the cheap strut bar.

5. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I think it does improve the way the car drives. For $45 it was well worth the money.

6. rlouie

rlouie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've noticed on e-Bay that there are three different low cost braces now - the two mentioned before that look very similar for under $50 and now one for $99 + S+H - eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

The $99 one seems to be much improved as far as reinforcement at the towers in comparison to the lower priced ones (see pictures).

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

These pictures were taken from the e-Bay auction page.

Has anyone tried this brace?

7. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
    That strut bar looks much better constructed, it's almost like a clone of the BT-Strut brace. If anyone tries it please let us know how it performs!

8. cliffmark1

cliffmark1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the $45 variant along with a clone of the stiffining plate. Both of these items worked well in reducing felt chassis flex through corners and into hilly driveways.

The front end is tighter and the suspension works more. I can enter turns faster. I now notice the softness of the springs and rear before I noticed the flex in the chassis.

As for a real life test, I find other (stock?) prii can't keep up through mountain roads and corners. This may be due to different drivers and driver capability but for a real life test it isn't a bad one even with the aforementioned limitations.

I feel like the $100 spent on the ebay upgrades are well worth it.

I've added wider/larger tires as well (205/60/R16 Cooper CS4). Which are also great. The high speed rating helps in turns quite a bit I've noticed if you're running stock rims.

My next upgrade will likely be springs and shocks in ~20k mi which will likely be 10-20x as expensive. $45 buys a noticable tightness upgrade and a bit of protection if you own your car (in terms of distribution of shock tower forces). If I was buying a new bar today I would get the $99 bar just because it looks even better -- I'm not sure its worth upgrading my current shock tower brace though.

9. cliffmark1

cliffmark1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Also as a sidenote, its an easy DIY install and you can still access all fluids from the engine compartment with the $45 bar.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Cliff, can you elaborate on the installation procedures/tools needed?

Can you provide me with the name of the ebay seller you bought if from (in case they sell different versions)? Thank you.

11. Daves09prius

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    One
  12. cliffmark1

cliffmark1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used those instructions and searched for Prius strut tower brace. It seems like there are two different no name type bars sold by different channels. The $45 shipped variant and the 99+ shipping variant which appears to be a worthy upgrade in construction.

DROIDX ?

13. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  14. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got the $99 bar today. It's installed big difference on the rode at 60 then
    rock the wheel it sways but recovers quickley. It corners nice. The bar says top
    but I tried that, bar lays flat on two caps, so turned it over clears every thing.
    You have to either grind or file the plastic are it won't clear the knuckles.
    It goes a lot faster if you loosen the nuts with socket then use a nut driver
    to take the nuts off. You will need 10 & 12 mm nut drive.

1 person likes this.
  15. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Can somebody translate this to English, please? I hard to cents what he means.

16. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It doesn't lean as much and straightens out quick. I just got a 03 corolla front
    sway bar with bushings at the junk yard $ 50.

17. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Now I need to lower the rear end.

18. Wilsid

Wilsid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
  19. yangjiesheng

yangjiesheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sorry I dont understand what you wrote. As for the $99 bar that you have installed, is the cap still easy to have it remove?

20. yangjiesheng

yangjiesheng Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just brought the 99 from ebay!
    Fixed all well and can adjust the height of the bar.

I had adjusted that the cap can be easily be removed.
    No affect on handling.

Cheap and Good!