1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

EBH Plug Location

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by geodosch, Aug 25, 2007.

1. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FireEngineer @ Sep 10 2007, 06:47 AM) [snapback]510005[/snapback]</div>
    Wayne, I will try to get you some photos tonight. I wanted to take several along the way, but the kids have missplaced the digital camera. And don't worry, I left most of the sacred part of the installation in tact. Not a single one of your lovingly placed tie wraps were compomised.

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've given considerable thought to this problem. After talking with Wayne about cord placement, cutting holes in my bumper, and all that, I have decided to simply pass it through the grill like it is designed.

To address the concern of forgetting to unplug it, I have devised the setup in the attached image. You have to keep in mind that I am blonde in hair color and mental capacity. I forget some of the most obvious things and simply don't see things on a regular basis. For me, if there were even the slightest chance that I could do damage to home or car, I would not be able to do it.

Therefore, as this illustration shows, I plan to plug the extension cord into the outlet on the ceiling of my garage. This outlet provides power to the garage door. I will hang the cord so that it hangs exactly where I need to stop the car every time I pull in. Currently, I have a tennis ball that hits the windshield. I admit that this forces me to no longer back into the garage but I guess I have to accept that limitation. The key to the setup is the break-away hanger system. In the event (when) I forget to unplug the heater, the cord will snap out of the hanger system and fall on the car. This will certainly remind me. The way I see it, after having the cord smack the hood of my car and the subsequent ladder usage to re-hang the cord, I should start remembering. Also, there will be enough slack in the cord, that absolutely no damage will result in my forgetfulness.

The break-away system (currently in my head) is a curly piece of plastic sort of like those pamphlet spines. It is strong enough to hold the cord but loose enough to release when tugged.

[attachmentid=11334]
    In the words of Doc Brown, "sorry for the crudeness of this model, I didn't have time to build it to scale and paint it."

Attached Files:

4. n8kwx

n8kwx Member

Arlington Heights, IL - NW Chicago Suburb
    Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Sorry Tony, your "house door" doesn't have a "perspective slant" on the top. :D

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's because it's at eye level.
    Yes, Marc, that actually was intentional. :D

6. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Sep 10 2007, 02:46 PM) [snapback]510267[/snapback]</div>
    My Love must be some kind of Blind Love
    I can see anything but Silver Pine Mica
    For I only have eyes
    For SPM
    Yes I only have Eyes for SPM.

Tommy, excelent choice of Prius Color for your diagram.

As promised to Wayne, the photos of IEC320 Computer Style plug hidden (almost) behind license plate.

1. EBH plug behind plate. Cord showing is the Filler Plug that I put in place when the electric cord is not in use. As a refinement, I think I may cut off the entire cord from the filler plug and teather it with a small tie wrap so there is less mod showing. Minus the cord and my foam gasket around the filler plug hanging down, it would be almost invisible.
    [attachmentid=11343]

2. EBH supply cord plugged in, Filler plug hanging from its teather (cut off cord tie wrapped behind grille). Yes, I know, I need to work on the foam seal I added to the filler plug.
    [attachmentid=11342]

4. View looking from side of plate
    [attachmentid=11344]

5. Looking straight up from ground.
    [attachmentid=11345]

6. Plate removed to show P-clip securing plug.
    [attachmentid=11346]

To be honest, I don't think the regular NEMA 15-5P plug looked bad at all with the cover in place, and I probably wouldn't have bothered with this mod if the plug cover had not fallen off somewhere between my home and work.

Attached Files:

7. abq sfr

abq sfr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I like where Wayne installed mine, bottom driver side through grill. Its almost invisible. I pull it out a few inches to plug it in, push it back in with only about an inch showing when not plugged in. I am going to secure the cap to the cord with a zip tie, afraid it will fall off at some point since it is not very secure by default. Also, I use an extension cord with a light on the end so I know the timer is working and providing electricity, otherwise you might wonder why its not making much difference in your mpg!

8. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 11 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]510811[/snapback]</div>
    I like where Wayne put mine too, same place you describe. I don't think I would have changed anything at all if the plug cover had not fallen off somewhere between my home and work. Due to my electronic, ITE, A/V, multimedia baackground, I sort of had this inkling all along to install a computer plug, and I even considered having one on hand when Wayne got here, but then I thought, why not give the standard plug a try. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with the clean look of the supplied plug and plug cover and how they neetly nested in the grill, and gave up any thoughts of changing it until the plug cover dissapeared.

I wish I had thought about securing the cover better, but I thought the clip it came with was adequately designed to do the job.

9. NoMoShocks

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(abq sfr @ Sep 11 2007, 02:16 PM) [snapback]510811[/snapback]</div>
    I like where Wayne put mine too, same place you describe. I don't think I would have changed anything at all if the plug cover had not fallen off somewhere between my home and work. Due to my electronic, ITE, A/V, multimedia baackground, I sort of had this inkling all along to install a computer plug, and I even considered having one on hand when Wayne got here, but then I thought, why not give the standard plug a try. I was actually very pleasantly surprised with the clean look of the supplied plug and plug cover and how they neetly nested in the grill, and gave up any thoughts of changing it until the plug cover dissapeared.

I wish I had thought about securing the cover better, but I thought the clip it came with was adequately designed to do the job.