1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECO Mode default on "v"

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by grahamy, Mar 12, 2012.

1. moparjer

moparjer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I get better mileage in ECO mode (49.1 MPG) than in normal mode (43.7 MPG) in my 2012 Prius V Five. This is comparing my first two tanks of fuel.

2. CLUBGUY

CLUBGUY Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Reading your post, I'm going to give "eco" mode another try...did NOT like the throttle response in "eco"....but after seeing your almost 6 mpg gain it's certainly worth another try...just filled my second tank.....first tank calculated was a little over 44 mpg...45.6 on the dash..

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have used only two tanks of fuel, it is still too early to have a useful comparison. The first tank is a break-in tank for both the car and the driver, and unless you topped it off yourself it is really an 'unknown' fill. So it is really a throw-away tank, best not used for any comparisons.

I agree with your result, just not the method used to obtain it. If you try it again, I'll bet the difference will be smaller.

4. Mondynet

Mondynet New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Normal mode is a combination of EV and ECO mode. You can see from the indicators on the left most part of your instrument cluster that it switches between these 2 modes depending on how you step on the accelerator and brake pedals. It is the same as the car information display that shows us which engine / motor is being used and if its charging the battery. This is just my observation but I could be wrong too.

5. skwcrj

skwcrj Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Just to make sure we are all on the same page:

ECO indication on the HSI (Hybrid System Indicator- left side of the instrument panel) = you are driving economically. Nothing to do with throttle mapping.

ECO switch selected - ECO Mode anunciation on the far right of the instrument panel = ECO throttle (and AC) programing. ECO indication next to the HSI will disappear when operating at high throttle settings (red PWR area). ECO Mode on the right side will stay on as long as the switch is pushed in. It stays pushed in until you deselect it.

EV next to the HSI = engine is off while driving (all conditions have been met. ie. < 46 mph, throttle below the mid line, car is warmed up, traction battery has enough charge, etc.)

EV Mode on the far right of the instrument panel = EV mode switch has been selected. EV Mode resets to off when you no longer meet a number of parameter (speed > 25 mph, battery gets low, etc...). The EV Mode button doesn't stay pushed in when you press it. It's just a momentary push swith.

1 person likes this.
  6. prob8

prob8 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    After bringing my wife's V in for it's 1st dealer maintenance check, they automatically set it on the EVO mode (button pressed in) - the mileage started shooting up and we couldn't figure out why (just though the engine was finally breaking in), until I noticed the ECO Mode light in the dash. We keep it on that now, mostly, unless we need pickup, and then we switch it off, as you will get left in the dust with it on, lol!