1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco Mode, Driving Modes - using a lot more lately

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by cycledrum, Feb 3, 2013.

1. ElectronFlux

ElectronFlux Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've gone from one mode to another while driving and not had any problems. Eco to Pwr while driving is a bit of a trick because there's a delay, then the car can really accelerate. The Prius will only let you go to EV from the other modes if you're traveling less than 10 mph while still warming up, or 25 mph when completely warmed up. Going to Eco from one of the other modes happens without a hitch.

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, the climate control is probably the biggest factor for using the ECO mode to affect mileage.

3. Jzerocsk

Jzerocsk Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For the first ~5000 miles I kept in "normal" to get a baseline. Starting this week, I switched it to ECO, which I'll use for awhile. In a few months I will try using PWR exclusively, but I have a feeling I will frequently forget to switch it on when I start the car.

Anyway, I was getting around 43MPG in my v wagon in normal mode. I've only been driving on this tank for 2 days, but I am already set to end up at 45-46MPG despite consistently colder weather so far. Roughly a 5% gain just for hitting a button is not too shabby. I found that I mash the pedal harder to compensate for the lazy throttle mapping in ECO mode, but it doesn't negate the gains.