1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco mode on or off?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mgpp123, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Wiserone

Wiserone Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Whats really odd is you can be in ECO mode and EV mode at the same time :confused:

2. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Depends on my mood and my schedule.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You can be in EV Drive Mode with any mode (ECO, Normal or PWR).

4. david19s

david19s New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi ALL

2010 Red ... I have Eco - Power and EV ..What is the normal mode some are refering to?

5. vegasjetskier

vegasjetskier New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you don't activate Eco, Power, or EV, you are in Normal mode.

1 person likes this.
  6. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ECO seems like the best way to break in the engine. Take things easy, no rapid acceleration, no high speeds, etc.

7. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I use ECO most of the time, occasionally going to normal or PWR just as a 'treat'. ;)
    FWIW, I *seem* (I say this because I haven't figured a way to collect actual data on the subject) to get the best mileage, regardless of mode, if I pull away from a stop relatively slowly until the ICE kicks in, and then accelerate moderately rapidly to my desired speed and then let off the gas. (In heavy traffic, I don't do the first part out of courtesy to people behind me--we have a bad enough rep as it is, in my estimation). This seems to keep the engine in its preferred power band as much as possible.

To the techies out there--does this make sense, or am I a little off? (Not that these characterizations are mutually exclusive ;) - just a question).
    Cheers
    T

8. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    More or less like GrumpyCabbie here:
    ECO mode: in town and quite good in winter; it enables smooth accelerations and finer control and reduces the time the ICE is on at traffic lights/crawling traffic in cold weather, but reducing the blower speed and hence the amount of heat delivered in the cabin; for summer use, I don't know yet... ;) ECO is also good in town where cruise control can be used, as it will not have the car "shoot forward" when the road gets steeper (exiting underground tunnels, for example). The acceleration is in fact very smooth and controlled - much much better and reasonable than many other cars I have driven with cruise control without any "mode" available.

Normal mode, as soon as I drive out of town

PWR mode: on the highway - normal mode requires to step too much on the accelerator for getting enough reaction necessary on German autobahn at speeds higher than 130-150km/h. Normal mode or ECO on the highway in Germany and you are stopping the traffic ;) (I am joking, is not *that* bad). PWR mode is also good to "show off" the electric engine torque+ICE at traffic lights (I leave behind many type of cars - the reaction is IMHO amazing - thanks also the the instant torque available that maybe a Porsche with 400HP or a 300HP Turodiesel BMW has in the first 50m; after that I would obviously see only the back of both cars for a few split seconds... ;) ).
    PWR mode also tends to leave the ICE running also when releasing the gas pedal - I think it does that to avoid needing to spin MG2 to turn on the engine again and loose reaction time. I have noticed this several times on the Autobahn or when coasting at higher speeds (more than 90km/h).
    I almost find non using ECO in town "annoying" since you accelerate too fast and you end up needing to brake again for the cars in front of you have already hit the next traffic light (hence the fuel consumption is affected negatively). You need to have so much more a lighter foot in town when not in ECO mode.

1 person likes this.
  9. Jim05

Jim05 Occasional Quasi-Hypermiler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not a techie in the Prius sense, but I use the same approach and it seems to work great. In "normal", I generally get around 56-59, and in "eco" I get around 58-62 -- both indicated, and summer gas.

10. Wiserone

Wiserone Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

If you ever heard of the term power & glide or P&G and wondered what it was, you did it.

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    From the glossary: http://priuschat.com/forums/newbie-forum/37699-priuschat-glossary.html
    "Pulse & Glide - (Also P&G) It refers to a type of driving that involves accelerating up to a set speed (usually 60km/h/38mph), called pulsing and then letting the car glide (see Glide) down to a set speed (usually 40km/h/25mph) and repeating as needed"

This thread has a video link: http://priuschat.com/forums/knowledge-base-articles-discussion/75320-pulse-glide-demo-video.html

The video demo is with a Gen2 Prius, with a Gen3 we should be able to pulse up to about 47 MPH before the ICE starts vice 42.

12. pntbreaks

pntbreaks New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    the most annoying thing about ECO mode is how it messes w/the A/C - it'll put the system on recirculate, which I don't like. and it's not as cool. I live in L.A., and full power for the A/C is a must during warm days. At any rate, i've been using either EV in stop & go or just regular mode and fine w/it. if it didn't mess w/my A/C, i'd be more inclined to use the ECO mode.

13. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I drive it in start mode. It defaults to eco mode. In this mode I notice the (gas pedal) responds more normal car than in ECO -put the button mode. In that mode the pedal respond a little differently.
    The star up eco give me around 49-54 mph now that warmer weather is coming( engine heat up much faster) . In the teens and subs... MPH goes down.( the engine for heat takes longer to get up to temp)

14. Holmesman

Holmesman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I first bought my Prius I used Eco mode all the time. Then I saw a post here by several people that said it makes no difference in mileage. After driving in normal mode now for several months, I completely agree. I'm getting exactly the same great mileage without using ECO. It's all about how you drive the car, not what mode you are in.

15. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of the time I use NORMAL mode and POWER mode when running in sloping roads. During my holidays I will try again ECO mode (400/600 Km by day) but still now it's not my preferred.

16. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Minor point. I will also start up in normal mode if that is what you were using when you turned it off. Power is the only mode that is changed on startup.

17. coastal314

coastal314 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I am glad you posted this! I am a newbie, almost a week in, and decided to do a little experiment on the eco mode and normal mode over the next few weeks. I'll still test it out, keeping it in eco this week and normal next to see if there are any differences.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    applies to southern states year around and northern states for half the year lol. ECO mode helps in the winter by letting the engine shut off earlier.

19. peirhead

peirhead Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was using Eco but since I also drive other cars I have trouble gassing the others too much so I went back to normal mode. I don't mind the way the AC is regulated in Eco, but I always press the Auto button and then change to the defrost/floor mode, The temperature is still regulated by temp and air speed and I don't get air blowing right on me!

20. F512M

F512M Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    At first I used the Eco mode, but now I just use normal mode. I didn't notice the difference.