1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco mode on or off?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mgpp123, Mar 20, 2010.

1. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The underrated mode is Power. With its quicker acceleration it gives tighter control in traffic, a safety margin when merging onto a highway or overtaking, and, used carefully, can prove more economical. The downside? It can lead you into revving the engine unnecessarily.

2. bigdog1234

bigdog1234 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I would agree. I've been using the "PWR" mode now for several months, and found that I can still routinely get over 50 mpg....and yet, can still get quick response when needed. I wish there was some way to make the PWR mode the default setting.

3. timo27

timo27 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Can you give a tip as to how you get better economy in PWR mode? I've been able to get about the same, but never better than in the other two. I do agree about its usefulness as you state--the only real downside I see in using it more is, I quickly get used to the responsiveness, and then when I put it back in ECO the thing seems like a slug.
    Thanks!
    ~T

4. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

1 person likes this.
  5. hsiaolc

hsiaolc New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After trying the Eco mode for a while I felt I've not benefited at all from using the Eco mode. It just doesn't suite my driving style therefore I gained no average MPG at all.

Since then I've switched back to Normal mode and I tend to get better miliage but also gets more battery charge.

I get the elec charge and when my wife drives it she will use eco to achieve the mpg target I set out for her but when I get to drive it it will have min battery level but then I charge it up for her everyday in the morning before I turn the car back to her.

6. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a reason for that. It is a slug for the first 50% of the throttle.