1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECO Mode vs. "Normal" Mode MPG

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by stream, Jun 10, 2011.

1. SmellyTofu

SmellyTofu Average punter

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I must say going from a long term ECO mode to normal, apart from the obvious sharpening of the throttle response, I found the engine was more willing to come on when you're moving from the traffic lights than ECO mode.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's possible that ECO mode is preventing the A/C from using too much of the battery to power the A/C. It's especially important if you have short trips since the climate control, if left in AUTO, will be blasting the fan every time you start the car to cool the car down as quickly as possible.

3. Scaurex

Scaurex Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm an "eco mode" all the time guy. But yesterday it was quite warm and muggy so i wanted the extra AC power and put it in Normal mode. I filled up with gas and drove from the valley to Vancouver in "stop and go" freeway traffic. The AC was freezing cold (amazing!) and the fuel economy was at 3.8L/62mpg for the trip. Speed was from 110kph in the good areas down to crawling heavy traffic. I like the different feeling of power in normal mode.

Attached Files:

4. GSW

GSW PRIUS POWER

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I agree Tideland. I would much rather drive in "normal" mode, but prefer ECO on those short trips to save battery power.

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Indeed. I've been driving around in normal mode for the past 2 weeks and the pedal feel is quite nice (esp. after driving in ECO mode). Now I'll tailor the mode to the weather conditions and driving needs. It definitely helps in the winter as it reduces heat output and lets the engine shut off earlier.

Nice! I got 4.0L/100km from Banff to Vancouver (one tank!). I think it's because it's a net loss in altitude [but I still had to climb over the Coastal mountains!! I was holding 3.8L/100km through to Kamloops but the Coastals took a toll on the mileage! =( ]

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My rule of thumb for elevation suggests that altitude loss saved only 1.7 liters, or 0.2L/100km for an 840 km trip. Kamloops isn't very high, so 75% of the altitude savings had already happened by the point. So most of that result is skill under the road conditions, not the free ride of elevation change.

I haven't yet had my Prius on the Coquihalla, but seem to remember hills too steep for fuel efficient descents.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know. The same trip netted me 4.3L/100km last year (according to the MID) so I'm up 0.3L/100km over last year. Last year I got 4.5L/100km going back so we'll see if I can repeat the 0.3L/100km difference on the return trip.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We switched over to Normal mode, about half way into a run from Vancouver to (Vancouver Island's) Long Beach, this last weekend. Mileage did not seem to suffer: have yet to tank up since getting back, and the in-dash is sitting at 4.1 (likely around 4.4 calc'd.). On an earlier trip up to Williams Lake we stayed almost esclusively in ECO, and achieved about the same.

I noticed some instances in Normal mode where the gas consumption display meter seemed to stick around 3~4 blips up from the bottom (very good metric mileage), and even a little extra gas pedal pressure did nothing to it.

9. rcshaw777

rcshaw777 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got my Prius for less than a month. After experimenting with the driving modes, I prefer to go with NORMAL most of the time. It is only when I take short trips(less than 10km) that I switch to ECO mode.

About P&G technique, I find it take my mind away from enjoying the journey and conversation with passengers. I find the habit of maintaining smooth flow can still achieve reasonable mileage even at NORMAL mode.

10. johnamerc

johnamerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus

11. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I always use ECO mode because I just like "low gain" throttle response. It is good for driving smoothly.

I did a little experimenting to make sure that things work the same in all modes if you "floor it." I found that the car gives maximum possible acceleration in all modes when floored, a good thing when passing on two lane roads.

I suspect if I checked gas mileage using the different modes, I wouldn't be able to measure the difference. In normal or power modes, I just wouldn't push the pedal down as far in normal driving. FWIW, my "lifetime" average is about 47 mpg.

Marcius likes this.
  12. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's been my experience, the only downside to eco mode I've noticed is the weaker response from the heater and AC.

13. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After reading this thread I turned off ECO mode and drive in normal mode and found my mpg went up. Amazing! I assume its because I am on the gas pedal less because there is more power to get up hills and up to speed from stop.

Marcius and PanthersFan like this.
  14. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The major factor in fuel consumption is driving style. How one reaches cruising speed (stomping on the gas, or reaching it smoothly and progressively having the ICE work in an efficient RPM) and keeps it, makes the major difference in MPG. How often and in which way one brakes and how long can one keep the car moving smoothly keeping in the flow of traffic, will also affect MPG.
    The modes affect only marginally the MPG, so whatever mode makes you achieve the conditions above will do. PWR mode tends to keep the ICE spinning when releasing gas for faster response when accelerating again. This can have a visible MPG hit for some and not for others (e.g. if you drive at constant speed for 90% of the trip, the ICE is on anyways...).
    Try the mode that suits you best and you like the most, and focus "on the flow" - that will essentially define your MPG (together with other factors out of one's control - e.g. temperature, weather, traffic, route, etc.), not the mode you are in.

1 person likes this.
  15. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got an '11 Prius II and was told by the dealer to keep it in ECO mode for most driving so I'd like to see a consensus of which mode is optimal for best MPG. Unlike you, Tony Reiner, I won't be drag racing although if that gorgeous GTO is part of your heritage, I understand why you do. I liken my Prius driving experience thusfar to that of my former '97 Taurus which had a sublime ride and crisp, though certainly not sporty, steering. That's really a complement because I loved that '97 Taurus. But since I bought this Prius for MPG, I want to keep it in the sweet spot for that. Sounds like there are varying opinions here on this and I'd like to know who's right.

16. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Try ECO for one tank, Normal for the next, hopefully under very similar conditions, try to drive the same style. That's the simplest way to sort out your opinion.

I switched over from ECO to normal and my mileage doesn't seem to have changed. I track every tank. MPG has actually improved since the switch, but so has the weather, likely a factor. All-in-all I see no difference.

ECO I find frustrating for pedal feel, just too much pedal travel required for a decent reaction.

1 person likes this.
  17. Malloryn

Malloryn New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    As a new Prius owner (just picked up this weekend!) this is a great tip. I've just been in ECO mode so far and will try Normal for the next tank. From what I've read it sounds like ECO works well for those really hot or really cold days.

18. unreal

unreal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I stay in Normal mode all the time and still avg 52-55mpg..tried eco and hated it..