1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECO mode with Cruise Control?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by TomNat, Jan 24, 2016.

1. TomNat

TomNat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    In cruise control & also in ECO modes, it seems like the acceleration response is more like normal or power mode when you are going up a hill. We are satisfied with our mpg in cruise control & ECO modes vs. no cruise control, but when in cruise control, do you still get the Auto AC/Heat benefits of ECO mode?

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure. Eco mode has nothing to do with whether you use cruise or not, they are separate functions.

3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I've noticed the cruise control's 'attitude' is aggressive when it senses you need more throttle while cruising. For example, when cruising along and I come upon a slight incline in the road, the cruise control will over-throttle to overcome it, then under-throttle when I'm coming down off the backside. This kills your mpg. I've owned may cars with cruise over the years and several behaved more appropriately. They would gently apply throttle to try to maintain speed, only to apply more and more throttle if it was not able to hold speed.

Too bad Toyota didn't get this one figured out.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't notice either adverse behavior or outcome with the 2012 Prius v Five cruise control, which is quite progressive in its response to load changes, whether in ECO, <Default>, or POWER mode.

5. Paulcet

Paulcet Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I think I follow your reasoning. I have not been pleased with the cruise control logic in our Corolla, my dad is not pleased with the cruise control logic in their RAV4. It is too "aggressive" if the speed falls, and overshoots. Our '12 Civic works beautifully. I was hoping that our new (to us) Prius v would be more "non-Toyota" like. I haven't tested it yet, but am hoping our experience will be like Air_Boss's.

CR94 likes this.