1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

ECO vs Normal vs PWR Mode - really just accelerator mapping?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pakitt, Nov 22, 2009.

1. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I was wondering, based also on my driving experience so far with the Prius, if ECO, normal and PWR mode only affect the mapping of the response of the accelerator pedal. Let me explain.
    In ECO mode, as mentioned on the user's manual, the AC effectiveness is reduced (less compressor used and lower fan).

These are my questions though - I think there is more than simply an accelerator mapping involved when selecting a mode. With the same acceleration applied (which means different pedal positions, obviously, in different modes, otherwise with the same pedal position one would have more acceleration in ECO and less in PWR), are the modes:
    - affecting the amount of electricity going to the electric engine (more electricity in PWR mode)?
    - affecting the charging/discharging patterns of the battery (e.g. tend to charge more in PWR mode to provide extra kick in acceleration, less in ECO mode, since acceleration will be on average lower)?
    - changing the valves timing in the VVTi ICE engine (more gas in PWR mode, less gas in ECO), at the same acceleration requested (same bar length)?

Again, all this when asking the same acceleration. It comes without saying that if the pedal is pressed always the same, the 3 things above would change in any case, since the acceleration requested would be different in the same pedal position (accelerator different mapping).

BTW: in EV mode, ECO and PWR mode remain active - does this affect the acceleration pattern in EV mode as well?

2. Jerry W

Jerry W Junior Member

As I understand it, there is no difference whatsoever between any of the modes, except in the amount of pedal pressure required to depress the accelerator a given amount...

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Eco mode throttles back on climate control. Other than that, the modes differ only through "throttle" mapping. At least that's how the Prius Chief Engineer explained it to us in Detroit.

Tom

4. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Tom, if that is the truth, then the modes are not that much of help, apart maybe Eco mode, that actually does something.
    I mean, if one learns to drive properly (read "economically") in power mode, then the other 2 are not necessary. If one learns how to get the PWR out of Eco mode, then PWR mode is useless. Then, keeping it normal is simply the best way?
    I mean, I learned to use the gas pedal of my car over 7 years and got very good fuel consumption. If I have to learn 3 different ways of using the gas pedal with no added benefit, then I might just stick to 1 - normal and learn how to get power from it when I want and get ECO out of it, by being more feather weight on the pedal when I want to. ECO mode, with the A/C adjustment? this is, again, the only mode that has some value.
    Then, why did they put the modes at all? since, e.g., to get PWR Mode you simply need to floor it??
    I was hoping for a less simple reason behind the 3 modes.
    :(

5. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

For what I understand from previous posts, the 3 modes selection comes from concern for safety vs practical attainability in getting good FE based on average driver behavior.

Imagine one need to search for power-mode in the even of urgent overtaking or need for sudden power requirement.

The system will allow you to override the ECO mode with a simple near-WOT input on the accelerator.

And yes, I suspect one can still get good FE with driven correctly regardless in which mode one is in.

That principle of economical-sensible driving behavior applies to normal gasoline vehicles too.

6. Rhino

Rhino New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Its about fine motor control. Maybe you have it but other may not. Or other people don't want to spend one week adjusting to a car.

Why is the speeddial in a car so big - everyone can read? Why are there indicators about which gear (D, R, N etc) you are in - you shifted it didn't you? A reminder that the parking brake is set? You can feel it with your foot, no? If we can all type, why are letters printed on the keyboard?

It is ergonomics - to make it easy for all people.

7. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's about fine motor control, and also about marketing. Having the three modes is fairly cheap and easy to do, and they add a certain gee whiz aspect. They also change the perceived peppiness of the car. Honda figured this out years ago: If you map most of the throttle response to the first bit of accelerator travel, it makes the car feel very powerful. When you drive a Honda Accord, you press the gas just a bit and the wheels spin. It makes it touchy to drive, but people like the feel. It doesn't make it any more powerful, but it feels more powerful.

The three modes let the Prius fit the expectations of a variety of owners. Those that are serious about mileage will like Eco. Those wanting something sporty will enjoy Power. The rest of us can drive around in Normal and do just fine.

Tom

8. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is my question, since all the buttons do is change the mapping of the accelerator pedal, why can we not get the eco indicator to come on in power mode.

The HSI is in the same spot in normal, press power mode button and leave the HSI in same position and eco indicator goes out.

Brake and go into CHG in HSI and the eco indicator does not come on in power mode. Have the instant MPG meter at 100 MPG, still no eco light????

Did they just disable the ECO light in power mode even though you are getting the same gas mileage as in other modes when the ECO light is on?

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The ECO light, like all indicators in the Prius, is driven by software. Someone made a decision to not use it in power mode. I suspect it is a deliberate attempt to move drivers away from power mode if they are interested in economy. Much of the success of the Prius comes from modifying the behavior of the driver with feedback.

Tom

10. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Kinda what I figured. Funny thing is, I find my eonomoy is often a little better in power mode than in normal. I think it is also a human behavior thing. I think when I drive, pulling away from a stop, I natuarally like a little pick up, so in non power modes I ened up pushing the accelerator much farther wearas in power mode, I get immediate response so I end up acctually using less HP!!!

Funny how that works both ways

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What really happens is that you accelerate harder in power mode. Contrary to what many Prius drivers think, accelerating like a granny does not give you the best mileage. Unless you are going to stop right away, brisk acceleration is the most efficient way to get up to speed. In ECO mode you are less likely to use brisk acceleration, so it works against you a bit in this mode, unless you truly understand what you are doing and give it some gas.

Tom

12. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I came from a Doge Charger RT (340 HP) to a prius just 2 months ago.....all I am doing is driving and hoping the car knows what to do.......I am still very much a prius idiot :D

13. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Generally that works very well. Many people over-think the entire process. Just get in it and drive. There is plenty of time to refine your technique later if and when you are interested and know more.

Tom

14. MikeDS

MikeDS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm a big fan of PWR mode and use it a lot. Wish the car would stay in PWR mode. I seem to get equal or better mileage using it too...

15. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. A seasoned Prius driver should be able to get excellent mileage in normal (default) mode as in ECO mode. The advantage for us is the restriction on the climate control to heat/cool less aggressively.

However, ECO mode allows the regular john smith driver to achieve close to the mileage that seasoned Prius drivers can achieve (seasoned Prius drivers, not hypermilers) thus helping raise the mpg average of all owners. IOW, it helps the new guys get off to a good start (mpg-wise). Also, ECO mode tends to use the battery more often than normal mode (look at the HSI in both modes. It's easier to get the bar into the ECO and PWR area more easily than in ECO mode where you can press a good amt on the accelerator and still stay in the Hybrid Eco area of the HSI)

Yes, you can press harder on the accelerator to get more power but PWR Mode allows you to press less on the first 50% of the accelerator travel to achieve the same results. It makes country roads more fun to drive as the pedal becomes an on/off switch.

16. ProfPlum

ProfPlum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Been driving mine almost a month, almost exclusively in normal mode. When I accelerate, I keep the HSI against the right edge of the Hybrid Economy area, trying not to go into the PWR area. Typical accelerations are from a stop light up to 45 MPH. Would I get better economy if I accelerated in the PWR area? That seems counterintuitive.

17. Philosophe

Philosophe 2010 Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I understand it, this is less true for the Gen III as the engine is efficient over a larger spectrum.

Using the HSI, I would define "brisk" as an acceleration on the edge of the ECO zone, without going into the PWR zone.

18. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This could very well be true. The key is to keep the ICE out of inefficient zones, and to avoid using the battery.

Tom

19. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If I try to stay within the ECO zone in Normal mode, I would not call this "brisk" acceleration IMO. I have to go in to the PWR zone in order to accelerate at a comfortable level to me and to keep up with existing traffic.

I find that I get better mpg by accelerating in the PWR zone and then coasting or gliding as much as possible. The quicker I get up to speed without really pushing it, the quicker I can get in to coasting or gliding modes.

20. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the most efficient acceleration is actually a curve - stronger at low speeds (to push RPM into the most efficient range), and weaker at higher speeds (to keep RPM from exceeding the most efficient range).

Remember the pseudo-CVT that we're dealing with - at low speeds, you don't need much RPM to deliver the necessary power, so you have to "overshoot" to get into the most efficient band. At higher speeds (above 50), you're already using some RPM just to maintain speed, so you don't want to push too hard or the RPM's will quickly go beyond the green zone.

PWR mode is probably good because it induces the correct behavior at lower speeds. ECO is likely better for inducing the correct behavior at higher speeds.