1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Eco vs. Power Mode

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Montaraman, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Montaraman

Montaraman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I'm trying to get into my head what "eco mode" and "power mode" actually mean. I visualize eco mode as being equivalent to overdrive in my American truck, that is a higher gear ratio, and power mode as being equivalent to taking the transmission out of overdrive, hence a lower gear ratio. I realize that it might not be correct to think in terms of gear ratios with a continually varying transmission. Am I correct with this analogy?

2. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Not really. The Owner's Manual sort of explains it on pg. 247. The Prius (including the Plug-in) is drive by wire, which means that the accelerator pedal does not mechanically control anything. Instead, a sensor measures the amount the pedal is depressed and software decides how to map the the accelerator pedal depression to how engine/motor speed. The modes simply change this mapping. ECO mode makes it the least sensitive (more pedal depression required for the same acceleration), normal (neither ECO nor Power mode) makes it moderatively sensitive, and Power mode makes it the most sensitive (less pedal depression for the same acceleration). In all the modes, if you put the pedal to the metal, the amount of acceleration is the same.

3. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    ECO mode also adjusts the HVAC system to be more efficient, thus using less power.

4. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Not quite. Since the end points are the same, all that they do is MOVE the sensitive section of the pedal response. In ECO mode, the sensitivity is at the early portion, in Power mode, at the later portion. Normal is a more linear response curve.

With the exception of AC controls, a talented foot could have the car perform EXACTLY the same in any of the modes. If you don't have one of those talented feet, choose the mode the gets you the highest MPG (many find that the ECO mode does this, others find Power mode works better for them).

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Good answers. The short version is that Eco and Power modes change the way the accelerator feels to the driver - they don't actually change the way the car works.

Also, as pointed out above, Eco goes cheap on air conditioning to save a bit of energy.

Tom

6. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    One note of concern: the PWR button is very close to the PARK button. I once was on an on-ramp, ready to go, so I pushed the PWR button to give me a boost. Only, it WASN"T the pwr button, it was the PARK button. I pressed on the accelerator and it went VOOOOM - but didn't move.
    Do be careful with these buttons. It's better to set them before going into a busy situation requiring your full attention. Too bad they weren't located on the steering wheel instead.

TallForAHobbit and bfd like this.
  7. bielinsk

bielinsk Gremlin

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    How could they be further away from each other? I could see hitting the Hazard button maybe.

Capture.JPG

I leave mine in Eco to control the AC.. If I need to go fast, I floor it.

8. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Hitting the Park button while moving won't damage anything. It just drops you into Neutral. I am surprised that pressing on the accelerator had any effect, given that it is just an input device to the control computer and not mechanically connected to anything.

9. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With the Gen II it doesn't do anything. Perhaps another PiP owner will test this.

Tom

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you press the pedal far enough, won't it force charge by spinning up the ICE?

My Gen III does go vroom if pressed far enough. But in Park, the gas pedal dead band is large enough that an attentive driver should notice something wrong well before the ICE fires up.

11. qbee42

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know it will do this in D, if you press both the brake and the gas. I'll have to try it again in P.

Tom

12. greinstein

greinstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I by mistake hit the park button instead of the ev while on the freeway. Shifts into neutral and the warning lights come on. Scared the sh!t out of me. Luckily no damage.

13. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There is absolutely no reason to press the power button when in need of a quick burst of energy. In fact, it takes longer for you to think about using Power Mode and press the button then wait for the car to change programming than it does to just floor the gas pedal. :)

fuzzy1 likes this.
  14. bfd

bfd Plug-In Perpetuator

Close to SDSU in the Far Southwest Corner of Cali
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    LOL. I did this on the freeway. Pressing PARK just puts the car into neutral, but it's still unnerving the first time it happens. This is why pilots train and requalify every 3-6 months. Had it happened to me before, I would've known why the power suddenly dropped out (as well as the speed). But not knowing at the time that I'd hit the PARK button, I didn't know Wth had happened. Really poor human engineering on the location of all those buttons.

15. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You actually need to let up on the the gas before the car will change programming. So you need to plan well ahead.

16. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Like Bielinsk, I don't see what wrong with the relative placement of the Park and Power buttons. :confused: They are on opposite sides of the console, with the Park button all by itself. How could they have placed them more unambiguously?

Besides, as mentioned, using the Power button is not an emergency action; if you really need to move right now, just floor it.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  17. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've done it without lifting off the throttle. It takes a few seconds to engage but if you hold your foot steady you can feel the surge when it engages. I agree that it takes too much forward planning to do anything effective.

18. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You mean "Thanks to Toyota's thoughtful engineers, no damage", right? :)

19. wiggleman

wiggleman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I should have been more specific - it's not that the buttons are adjacent to each other, but when you simply reach over and hope to hit a button my "feel", then they all seem close together. Sorry for the confusion. Still, yes, it went "vrooom" because Park puts the transmission in neutral. I agree somewhat that by the time one thinks about pressing Pwr, then might as well just accelerate and this will have the same affect.
    btw: Pwr mode really is powerful - I squealed my tires once on take-off.

20. greinstein

greinstein Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Correct:eek: